1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [03/07] Got those revision blues.

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Fod, 3 Mar 2007.

1. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Probably the only time i'll have this month to take something!

i'm a lot more pelased with this month's entry than last's. I could probably do better but hey, give me a break, that 1st degree isn't gonna earn itself! :dremel:

[​IMG]
    click for big.

processed in lightroom, worked a tad in photoshop.
    comments pls!

Last edited: 3 Mar 2007
  2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Technically, it's a good photo. The composition works, the exposure is very well handled considering the combination of light and dark objects. It could use a little more depth of field to capture more detail in the ruler, but it works as it is.

However, I'm not really seeing the "Blue" theme here. The title indicates that the subject is the "blues," as in sadness or that blah feeling, but I'm just not seeing anything that looks sad. To me, this could almost go in the "Architecture" theme from the very first competition.

Still, it is a nice photo.

-monkey

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

It's so very similar to my photo for the old "Power" theme (available via my flickr) ;)

4. Fod

oh dear! sorry for any apparent plagiarism, it was not intended!

i had initially planned on having me slumped over my work, but i would have needed to do some furniture rearranging. so i shot some other ones and this ended up being the best of the 3 or so frames i took. the 'syntax error' (only really visible in large) on the calculator is what i think makes this shot. basically summing up how my brain is feeling right now...

i actually had to blend two versions of the raw together to get the screen to show up at all. i didnt want to overdo it though, so the text is still a little hard to make out. but really, the text on the calculator is what, in my opinion, makes this shot.

(edit: just checked out your power shot - i kinda see what you mean :worried: )

Last edited: 4 Mar 2007
  5. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

hey i like the photo the nice touch of "syntax ERROR" on the calculator lol

6. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I'm not fussed fod, "great minds think alike" and all that ;)

7. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I did notice the "syntax error" and immediately felt what it was you are trying to portray in this shot. As such I think it's perfectly relevent for the theme.

DOF might be a little shallow but can't pick at it too much. I like the arrangement of the scene and the colour cast is great.

Is the vignetting intentional? And added in PP or from the shot?

I think the only thing I would perhaps consider, just to see how it works, is a pair of [perhaps taped] glasses lying as though they've been tossed on to the books in frustration. Would further enhance the suggested image of a student sat with head in hands frustrated at their work. :)

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I admit I didn't notice the "syntax error" at first because I hadn't looked at the big version. Now that I've seen the big version, and seen the words on the calculator, I'm sorry to say I still don't get it.

I understand the idea, but I stll don't think the photo really says "blues" to me. If the title hadn't clued me in, I would still be wondering what this photo was trying to tell me.

I think if there had been a broken pencil and some frustrated writings/eraser marks on the paper (maybe even a mound of crumpled paper in the background), or some other visual clue, the message might be more clear.

-monkey

9. Fod

thanks

vignetting is intentional and added, yeah. glasses would be a good idea, but i don't have any!!

also supermonkey, i toyed with scrawling something on my pad, but everything i came up with sounded forced and cliche.

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I like it! Good composition and i like the toning.

Tags: