bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Mar 2007, 14:51   #1
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel Core 2 price cuts when AMD Barcelona hits.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/03...arcelona_hits/

Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2007, 14:56   #2
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Are those prices list prices (i.e. PP 1000) or individual RRP?

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2007, 15:09   #3
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
That's some serious chip for a seriously low price. Looks like Intel are battening down the hatches for C2D getting stomped by Barcelona. Do they know something we don't?
Old 12th Mar 2007, 15:25   #4
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEdey
Are those prices list prices (i.e. PP 1000) or individual RRP?
More than likely per batch, but come Q3 prices could change dramatically depending on how the market shifts. Naturally take speculation with a pinch of salt as to what the exact price will become.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2007, 15:28   #5
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Sounds like AMD better have some good performance under their hood. Check out the other articles on the lniked site, they show possible new CPUs at less then 100$ (50 to 70$) ! Sound perfect for low profile cases
Old 12th Mar 2007, 16:25   #6
cereal_killer
Minimodder

cereal_killer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hope q6600 drops to $266 in august cause i'm looking to have new pc around then els its an e6600 for me
Old 12th Mar 2007, 17:00   #7
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nice, even cheaper cpu's.... looks like amd got something nice coming if intel pushes prices so hard.
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2007, 17:54   #8
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
D'oh, I want to upgrade Now (not that there hasn't ever been a good time to wait, but that price drop means waiting half a year could pay back Big time.) Let's hope Barcelona ROCKS.

What I don't get is why Intel is announcing this now (I don't buy the reason given - for that they would have waited & dropped the prices later without the announcement now) - are they trying to slow demand by giving people an incentive for waiting? - or are they (as Krikkit said) preparing for Barcelona now so that later price reductions don't look reactionary?
Old 12th Mar 2007, 17:56   #9
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyinsar
What I don't get is why Intel is announcing this now (I don't buy the reason given - for that they would have waited & dropped the prices later without the announcement now) - are they trying to slow demand by giving people an incentive for waiting? - or are they (as Krikkit said) preparing for Barcelona now so that later price reductions don't look reactionary?

I'm putting money on AMD releasing big news this week.

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2007, 18:26   #10
randosome
Banned

randosome has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
/drool

mm i wish i had dual core sucks being a student
randosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2007, 18:48   #11
Spaceraver
Ultramodder

Spaceraver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
heh, i guess there is major amd news in the pipes and intel dont want to lose those gamers.
Spaceraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2007, 19:26   #12
mctigger
Hypermodder

mctigger has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmctigger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
maybe intel do know something we don't, but then again they could just be preparing themselves in case Barcelona is awesome (never been a fan of AMD myself tbh) and will still have leg to stand on in the market..

But we will see. other than that i think new news on Barcelona will be out sooner rather than later
mctigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2007, 21:15   #13
traderonline
Minimodder

traderonline has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i'm waiting for a price drop. i still think it's too early to upgrade my athlon64 3500+
http://www.thehyipforum.com
traderonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2007, 22:42   #14
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
i will wait until "barcelona" comes out.... someone benchmarks it (/me winks at bit-tech).... and then make my choice based on price/performance/power consumption.
Old 12th Mar 2007, 23:45   #15
Aankhen
Supermodder

Aankhen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That's awesome. Just how good is Barcelona, I wonder, if it has prompted so much preemptive damage control?
Old 13th Mar 2007, 00:13   #16
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I have to wonder if Intel isn';t thinking that just maybe they can kill AMD all together. The R&D on all these new chips has to be costing the dearly and unless I'm missing somthing, I'll bet they're not making much profit on them. Could it be that they're taking a loss in hopes of killing their only real competition?
Old 13th Mar 2007, 00:37   #17
Fiber4now
Don't feed the trolls

Fiber4now has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What it seems to me is that Intel is playing the game now of not allowing AMD any breathing room, They know that Barcelona may be launched in early Q3 but it will not be able to ramp until Q1 2008 and that is only for sever market. With all of these nice bright and shiny QC2Ds and C2Ds, Intel will have every possible price point covered making it hard for an AMD enthusiast to stay with AMD. The Penryn and next years Core 3 will take on the Barcelona so as they say in Australia "No worries mate"

As far as Barcelona is concerned how much performance will come under the hood of a 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 GHz quad anyway when compared to what we have seen from Intel's QE6700 running in a factory overclocked Dell XPS 710 H2C which is the leader of the OEM circuit right now? Barcelona for desktop has not even been announced as of yet with AMD claiming their new core strictly for server use.

So looking at it in a business sense Intel wants to bury AMD in competitive cores now and not later as some have suggested here.
Fiber4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2007, 02:54   #18
Bladestorm
Hypermodder

Bladestorm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would suggest intel were only charging £800 for it because there was no competition for a quad-core processor, much as AMD did with the X2 line when P4 was all it had to compete with in the desktop market, so its not too surprising they will drop the price to a competitive level when it will actually have competiton.

Anandtech(?)'s write-up on barcelone makes it sound like it really could give C2D a run for its money and penryn isn't expected to be out in quantity till 6 months later.

the latter part of this year is definetely going to be interesting to watch
Old 13th Mar 2007, 04:57   #19
RevolMidnight
Modder

RevolMidnight has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I just upgraded after 7 years of running the same PC. Had I waited just a little longer...
Old 13th Mar 2007, 04:59   #20
3.5SE
Multimodder

3.5SE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I had planned on building a new rig once the Q2 price drop took effect but now it looks like I'll be holding out for a Q6600 quad core for $266. That would be sweet. By then the 8800's will probably drop as well as AMD/ATI should have their DX10 cards out as well.
A8N SLI Prem., X2 3800+, 2GB Corsair PC3200, XFX 7800 GT, Lian Li PCV-2000B Case, Antec True Blue 480watt PSU sleeved, 74 GB WD Raptor HD, 160 GB Maxtor HD, Pioneer A09 DVD Burner, Cendyne 106S Slot Load DVD Drive
3.5SE is offline   Reply With Quote