1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Where online do you buy your games? UK Only

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by The_Pope, 16 Mar 2007.

?

Which UK online retailer(s) do you use to buy your games (PC and / or console)?

1. 101CD

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. Amazon.co.uk

34 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Dark Planets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dixons

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. eBay.co.uk

17 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Foxy.co.uk

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. GAME

25 vote(s)
    29.4%
  8. Gameplay

17 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. GameStation

9 vote(s)
    10.6%
  10. Play.com

77 vote(s)
    90.6%
  11. SoftUK.com

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  12. Tesco.co.uk

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  13. TheGamePort.co.uk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. TheHut.com

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Woolworths.co.uk

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  16. Other (please specify)

13 vote(s)
    15.3%
  17. Never buy games online

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Hi Guys!

We're doing some research into games online retailers and we want to conduct a quick snap poll. Please take 10 seconds and answer the following question. Your input is very much appreciated. PLEASE NOTE: this poll is for UK ONLY. There is a separate poll for USA resellers here

Kind regards,

bit-tech crew

Question: Which UK online retailer(s) do you use to buy your games (PC and / or console)?

If your favourite online games retailer is not listed, tick Other and post below.

Please refrain from making any fanboy comments slagging off one retailer and pimping another. This research is just about where YOU buy your games, not about venting your spleen about a bad experience you had. It is assumed that people will vote with their feet.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I use Play because of the free delivery and good prices and so on.

But hardware I prefer to buy from a High Street store. Just in case of warranties.

3. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Thanks for the feedback DougEdey. Actually, I hadn't thought about doing one of these for Hardware but that might be fun too! This one is just about games.

I voted Play and Amazon.co.uk - hardly any surprises, but I have a good track record with them (many *years* of orders) and they have a good range, stock and prices. Having run a small online retailer I do have sympathy for the "guys I've never heard of" but I just don't know of any reason why I should bother seeking them out.

Maybe readers can post below why they prefer some of the smaller guys (almost anyone that isn't Play or Amazon) and we might all learn something :)

4. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I voted for Play.com, and mainly for the same reasons as doug, but also pre-ordering is so easy with play.com as well.

Sam

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You don't get out of Bit HQ much do you? :p

As for smaller guys, I used to shop at an independant store but that was because he imported a lot of figurines, got promo t-shirts for cheap and so-on. But with the current amount of reviews on games, Demo distribution and so on, there's not much need to playtest a game in a high street store.

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I tend to stick with play, sometimes buy from game (especially pre-orders for double points if the price is right) and very occasionally amazon. Not got on too well with amazon, I find their packing and dispatch is very slow in comparison to play and game. I found that the Jersey branch (some stuff comes from here, it says on the individual items) is a hell of a lot quicker.

I also shop occasionally at places like dvd.co.uk and cdwow, but only once or twice.

I tend to buy things wherever it's cheapest, but I also want to get my good delivered quickly.

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

What about Steam?

8. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Mostly play.com as well, good prices and excellent service.

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

usually Play.com, never had any problems with their service and their prices are usually cheaper than in stores.
    I've also used GameCollection.net when I couldn't find Castlevania: DoS for the DS anywhere else (and was surprised when the game came next day and from Swansea no less - which is quite close to me).

Usually use Tesco/Asda/Gamestation/WHSmith or Game for offline shopping (depending on offers running in store).

10. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Mainly Play.com, but also sometimes Amazon, Game or Ebay.
    But theres the odd occasion where I've used Steam or EA Link.

11. shezzor

shezzor What's a Dremel?

Yep, same here mostly Play.com. Although I do try cdwow.com from time to time for certain import stuff.

12. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

play.com because of the solid prices and delivery

13. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

I mostly use GAME and Gameplay coz pre-orders usually arrive the day before release.

I often use Play for new PC games coz they're £17.99 but I've pre-ordered Stalker with Blahdvd coz the limited edition is only £17.99. Their delivery isn't so hot though so I don't expect that on release day :(

14. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

mostly play for the reasons above, some older games from ebay (new) for when they go out of print. Occasionally from Steam as well.

15. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Almost always play or Amazon (usually only Amazon only if they have deals going, which can be pretty good). And play because of superb delivery, even pre-orders come before their release date :D I guess that would be because living so close to Southampton airport, hub for Jersey post!

16. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

I've voted Play, Gameplay, Amazon and 'Other' - the 'other' being CD WOW!.

They have some real bargains now and again - which are often a good few quid cheaper than the more popular online stores :cooldude:

17. Springs

Springs Boing boing

use play mainly.. aswell as gameplay..

play.com are nice and cheap, great service and quick delivery.. only use high street for spare of the moment games/hard to get games or if they have a good offer on..

but mainly play... suppose i should pre order C&C3... here i come play....

18. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Gameplay and Play always deliver for me. Sometimes GAME and Amazon. As for the 'Other' I ticked was ChoicesUK, another great place with some bargains to be had now and then.

19. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

since the Lik-sang closed down usually use play.com although sometimes I try a price comparison site like Kelkoo, and then usually end up back at play.com as I've never had any problems and there aloways within a quid or so of the cheapest.

Oh and playasia.com for my DS imports!!

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Play.com rock for games, I buy from gamestation quite a lot too, occasionally online but 99% of the time, in person for their masses of pre-owned stuff. < 3 Pre-owned games, it gives you a great opportunity to play something you wouldn't normally look twice at. :D