bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Mar 2007, 14:18   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Sony PlayStation 3

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2007/...ation_3/1.html

Old 30th Mar 2007, 14:27   #2
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Aria are doing it for £399, if you're a student you can get it for £382.50

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2007, 14:34   #3
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
it's about NT$18,500 (285 squid) out here in Taiwan... makes me want to buy one, but I don't have the time and I also don't have an HDTV either.
Old 30th Mar 2007, 14:38   #4
Mankz
________

Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
We've had one at school for 4 months, someone 'imported' one from Japan.

However, I don't think its as impressive as when i first saw what 8800 GTX SLi running on a 30"...
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2007, 14:39   #5
Duste
Sierra my delta, bravo!

Duste has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I definitely think Sony redeemed themselves with the final release of the Playstation 3, especially with all the delays. However, I'm a bit disappointed at the look of the controller - it just doesn't match the console itself. The console looks very futuristic, but the controller looks...retro.
Duste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2007, 14:43   #6
BioSniper
I Mod, Therefore I Own

BioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
There are several errors in this article but the main one is:
Quote:
This means that you can buy any game, from any region and play it in any machine, from any region. This is the way things should be -- Microsoft and Nintendo please take note!
Yes the Wii is region locked, but the 360 technically isn't.
That's developers choice as to whether they want to do that or not and as such MS shouldn't be blamed. There are also very few 360 games that are region locked (at least I have yet to find any that I want that are).

Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
Frankly this thread has become a bunch of methed up old women in a hat store.
BioSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2007, 14:47   #7
r4tch3t
hmmmm....

r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Deja Vu, but then again thats what happens when you read both.
Nice review, and Tim, get on anyways, you will get a HDTV eventually anyway, and for the price, well theres no ROB to rob you.
Old 30th Mar 2007, 14:50   #8
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Great article, which sums up exactly what's wrong with PS3 atm. I have no doubt that, once the price drops begin, people will be flooding to buy one, I know I'll be sorely tempted, even without an HDTV yet.

The other problem that I've found atm is the stigma. I've been in a couple of game shops these past few days, and talking to the people working there, they've nothing but hostility for the PS3, and love for the X360. I suspect a lot of people would've been put off by such a negative attitude.
Old 30th Mar 2007, 14:55   #9
vts
Multimodder

vts has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'll Stick to Wii + 360. (speaking of which, when is the Elite out in the UK?)

By the time PS3 gets anything that actually uses it to full potential, the nex generation is going to be out. Sony are supposed to have a 10 year plan for the ps3, but i doubt that it will include 10 years of gaming.

I honestly also think that HD-DVD will beat Blue ray. and IPTV will beat those.
Cyberstorm-3:Athlon 64 X2 4400@4800+/xfx 7800GT oc version/2gb(2x1gb) 3500llpro corsair ram@2,3,2,6, /2x80gb sata seagates / 2x 160 sata segates/fatality xfi/Creative Inspire T7900/poineer110d/asusx16dvd a8n SLI premium mobo/samsung 930BF 19inch flat panel
vts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2007, 15:16   #10
kempez
modding again!

kempez has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very good balanced article. Well written and exactly what I think of the PS3 too actually. Thanks Tim good read
kempez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2007, 15:32   #11
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S
it's about NT$18,500 (285 squid) out here in Taiwan... makes me want to buy one, but I don't have the time and I also don't have an HDTV either.

***COFF**** PLAYASIA ***COFF***

What was that, sony say we can't import, I didn't post any links...

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2007, 16:21   #12
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Good review though as good as it sounds, thre's no way I'm getting one.. Would be useless on my current TV whih is on par with a 10" LCD screen resolution
Old 30th Mar 2007, 16:30   #13
TheSaladMan
Multimodder

TheSaladMan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm so pissed about the HDCP, but it was to be expected, any news about a DVI cable for the PS3?

Other than that it does seem like a nice console and would sit nicely next to my 360.

I'm Surprised you didn't say anything about MotorStorm actually, it's supposed to be one of the best racing games money can buy at the moment.
Old 30th Mar 2007, 17:18   #14
Draven
What's a Dremel?

Draven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSniper
There are several errors in this article but the main one is:

Yes the Wii is region locked, but the 360 technically isn't.
That's developers choice as to whether they want to do that or not and as such MS shouldn't be blamed. There are also very few 360 games that are region locked (at least I have yet to find any that I want that are).
The point you're missing is that developers are not ALLOWED to region code for the PlayStation 3. Yes, there are certain games on the X360 that aren't region coded, but are you willing to take the chance and order one without knowing one way or the other?

With the PS3 you can order anything you like from anywhere and it will work. With the X360 it's down to the developer and it's pot luck for you.

So therefore Microsoft is to blame, since it could have insisted that all games are unlocked like Sony did...
Draven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2007, 17:22   #15
Draven
What's a Dremel?

Draven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaladMan
I'm so pissed about the HDCP, but it was to be expected, any news about a DVI cable for the PS3?

Other than that it does seem like a nice console and would sit nicely next to my 360.

I'm Surprised you didn't say anything about MotorStorm actually, it's supposed to be one of the best racing games money can buy at the moment.
MotorStorm wasn't mentioned in the original PS3 review because a full review of the game was published on the same day. It's pretty good, but still not an "I'll buy this console to play that game" kind of title.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/gaming.../Motorstorm/p1
Draven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2007, 19:33   #16
BioSniper
I Mod, Therefore I Own

BioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven
The point you're missing is that developers are not ALLOWED to region code for the PlayStation 3. Yes, there are certain games on the X360 that aren't region coded, but are you willing to take the chance and order one without knowing one way or the other?

With the PS3 you can order anything you like from anywhere and it will work. With the X360 it's down to the developer and it's pot luck for you.

So therefore Microsoft is to blame, since it could have insisted that all games are unlocked like Sony did...

Coor, blimey, that sounds like some serious Sony fanboyage.
Ok, so maybe I missed the point slightly however the article didn't exactly make it clear that that was the intention.
Also you if you purchase from a good abroad retailer (like play-asia) they will mostly tell you if it's region coded or not.
Though I do agree that dev's shouldn't be allowed to put region coding on things. Mind you though, most of the 360 games so far have been region free from what I can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
Frankly this thread has become a bunch of methed up old women in a hat store.
BioSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2007, 19:52   #17
atanum141
I fapped to your post!

atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
on play asia it does state weather the games for 360 and PS£ have any protection on them, alot of big titles don't.

Nice to see i can get a 20gig PS£ for £280-ish

Welcome to Thunderdome, B*tch
XBL: atanum141
atanum141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2007, 20:30   #18
koola
Eat my...

koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.
I'll stick to my X360 and PC I think.

Am not impressed with it
Old 30th Mar 2007, 21:28   #19
Skill3d
Multimodder

Skill3d has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
well it's the cheapest blu ray player on the market at the moment... and these ps3's sell like crazy at the store where i work....
Kinda funny a guy asked today if we had the silver ps3 o_0 (I said I would paint it for him for €50 )
Skill3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2007, 21:36   #20
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skill3d
Kinda funny a guy asked today if we had the silver ps3 o_0 (I said I would paint it for him for €50 )
You should have said "You mean the Xbox 360?"

Just proves what PT Barnum said about the procreational rate of fools.