1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Will iTunes and the Beatles come together?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

nope, much bigger.

all together now:

**** YEAH!!!

everyone go quickly and buy a bunch of these DRM free tracks! we'll send the loudest message to the record labels yet!

edit: oh it's starting in May. oh well. well, everyone go and buy a bunch of those DRM free songs in may!!

3. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

WOW!!!!! That was better than the beatles :)

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

It is a step in the right direction, might help in the (french?) legal battles about the unfair competition?

Nice song reference in the title too ;)

5. quack

quack Minimodder

DRM-free music via iTunes. Great news!!

6. Flibster

Flibster What's a Dremel?

Double the sound quality.... :rolleyes:

So they're also implying that normal itunes purchases sound crap then? *not that I'm disagreeing there*

Higher bitrate is good. Can we have some proper lossless songs soon? FLAC would be great.

*strokes his Cowon iAudio A2 and M3*

Simon/~Flibster

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

See my comments in the thread in SD about the DRM-free bit. But what's the big deal with The Beatles on iTunes? It's not like you can't just buy the damn CD. Or an old cassette. Or an even older LP *glances at _dom* People have managed to use iTunes to rip all their other music... why not Sgt. Pepper?

8. customh

customh conflagration.

Why a higher price? That ought to drive people away... I'm happy they are offering DRM free, but a higher price isn't gonna get [us] pirates paying...

9. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Well, it doubles the hard drive capacity needed (triples really, because they have 1 copy at 2x the size and another copy at 1x the size,) and it increases the bandwidth requirements.

In addition to that, it's good for companies to be able to offer products to different segments of the market. Look at the Celeron for instance - when the celeron was first introduced, it was a way to sell chips that didn't test out at full speed or chips that had failures in the cache. They just disabled half the cache and underclocked them. The problem was of course that they sold far more celerons than they produced through bad production. What did they do about this? Simple - They took perfectly good pentium 3s (and later pentium 4s,) burned out half the cache, underclocked them, and sold them at a lower price as celerons. Why? Because there was a segment of the market that wanted to buy low-end chips and intel needed to have a product for that market segment.

10. customh

customh conflagration.

ok..... I guess

11. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

If they were available for 50p they would sell 100x the amount.

12. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

I agree that the price is too high. I would muchr ather go through the hassle of buying CD's and ripping .wav files to my PC than dling worse quality tracks for about the same I would pay per track on a cd.

Tags: Add Tags