bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Apr 2007, 11:18   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
F.E.A.R. for PlayStation 3

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2007/...for_ps3/1.html

Old 27th Apr 2007, 11:46   #2
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Have you got any screenshot comparisons of the dodgy texture problems?

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2007, 14:28   #3
Bladestorm
Hypermodder

Bladestorm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, there have been dev comments to the effect of ""While the PS3 has great processing power, it lacks somewhat in memory"" haven't there ? presumably if they kept the level sizes the same they have little choice but to drop the texture resolution (given shared memory ?)
Old 27th Apr 2007, 15:07   #4
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEdey
Have you got any screenshot comparisons of the dodgy texture problems?
Not screen by screen, no.
Old 27th Apr 2007, 15:48   #5
Bluephoenix
Spoon? What spoon?

Bluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladestorm
Well, there have been dev comments to the effect of ""While the PS3 has great processing power, it lacks somewhat in memory"" haven't there ? presumably if they kept the level sizes the same they have little choice but to drop the texture resolution (given shared memory ?)
that would make sense, given that F.E.A.R. was pretty hard on memory when I first played it on my old machine (I had to drop the textures quite a bit to get it to play originally, replaying it now is a whole new experience with the GTXs)
Bluephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2007, 16:05   #6
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

aye, the PC version was a hog on memory -- performance usually died a bit with 4xAA enabled.
Old 27th Apr 2007, 16:19   #7
olly_lewis
Hypermodder

olly_lewis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its just a case of the game being released early on a system... if it were to be released a year from now then the textures and the overall graphics quality would be of a higher standard, its the same case will all consoles: developers need time to strangle all the power they can from it...
Though FEAR is one hell of a memory hog so it will never be up to scratch with the PC version...

My signature dumped me...
Old 27th Apr 2007, 18:10   #8
devdevil85
Hypermodder

devdevil85 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah PS2 is a good example. It will take time for developers to utilize all of the PS3's hardware due to the intimidating hardware setup. It's sad that F.E.A.R. had to fall into the 7 category. I was really looking forward to seeing a game that could harness PS3's power and make it an overall great experience, but that's what happens when you expect. The cool thing about the SIXAXIS is that when you tilt the controller it will angle your view and your gun which I find pretty sweet, but that's like the only thing I have read that makes it stand out from 360. I will just play it on my PC when I upgrade in a few months.
devdevil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2007, 19:30   #9
fini
What's a Dremel?

fini has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly_lewis
Its just a case of the game being released early on a system... if it were to be released a year from now then the textures and the overall graphics quality would be of a higher standard,
They've had the ps3 dev kits for as long as they've had the 360 devs kits though, and the 360 version looks better.
fini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2007, 19:38   #10
olly_lewis
Hypermodder

olly_lewis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by fini
They've had the ps3 dev kits for as long as they've had the 360 devs kits though, and the 360 version looks better.
If the PS3 dev kits were released to developers at the same time as the 360, why the hell wasn't the PS3 released at the same time as the 360... the complications with blue diodes and other problems accounted for the last release of the PS3 and the dev kit...

My signature dumped me...
Old 27th Apr 2007, 21:53   #11
Kipman725
When did I get a custom title!?!

Kipman725 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Am I the only person who thought that the original pc fear was one of the worst games in history?
Kipman725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2007, 00:34   #12
Aankhen
Supermodder

Aankhen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipman725
Am I the only person who thought that the original pc fear was one of the worst games in history?
Nope. But I'm willing to bet we had very different reasons.