1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft launches new and improved Hotmail

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Meh, I'll stick with Gmail and its better spam control and ease of use.

Nice to see that I'll be able view my dodgy emails (which I use hotmail for) a bit more easily though. About time MS actually updated hotmail, its so long overdue.

3. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Yeah I switched to gmail. So much nicer and more professional and the spam control is so much better. I just use my hotmail account for spam crap and other random emails, but not my friends and family. I also agree, Hotmail really needed an update cause it still ain't hip. I basically switched because Outlook was soooooooo slow and half the time it would lose it connection with the Hotmail Server which I found to be ridiculous and it always kept asking me to archive my files which still didn't help anything.

4. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

still on hotmail myself but just cant be bothered to change over and everything so allow!

5. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Hoorah! I was astounded to find that Windows Mail on Vista didn't support Hotmail! It was very odd to find that Microsoft didn't support their email via their latest o/s.

6. moshpit

moshpit What's a Dremel?

I love hotmail. Had my account since 98. Matter of fact, my account is coming up on it's first decade of use. Too many friends, family, and coworkers have my hotmail address to change it now.

Last edited: 8 May 2007
  7. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

I was once a Hotmail user... well I still am but all my important mail goes through Gmail and by moving everything back to Hotmail, Live, or whatevah would just be a waste of time... I just can't remove the bad, bad memory of only having 2Mb of storage with sleazy Hotmail...

8. moshpit

moshpit What's a Dremel?

Yeah, that's a bummer you can't get that memory out too. We're now getting 2Gb for our patience, a 1000x increase and comparable at least to gmail now ;)

9. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I used Live mail for a while in place of my Hotmail (which, like everyone else, I use for all the crap emails and spam stuff, where as gmail is my 'proper' email address), and stopped after a while. Why? It was the buggiest, slowest, most ill thought out web mail browser I've ever used. Hell my old Unix based University mail browser was more user friendly. It took ages to load, stalled all the time, I regularly had to empty my cookies just to get the damn thing to work, just gave up after a while and went back to Hotmail, MUCH better. I'm loathed to try it now it's supposed to be out of beta in case I can't switch back.

11. koola

koola Minimodder

Gmail user here. Stoped using the hotmail due to the joke of a spam filter and all the ads.

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I've been using live for a while, I find it very sluggish.

I also agree with koola. Gmail is superior for my needs, but I use it alongside two other core email addresses using Thunderbird.

13. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins What's a Dremel?

Wait. When was Hotmail ever hip? Did I miss something? :D

14. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I've been beta testing this for ages and the trouble with it is that the interface is far too slow compared with the likes of gmail but it's not bad, I guess it'll be alright for the average user that doesn't really care about speed.

15. kempez

kempez modding again!

I switched it to simple interface and still use Live mail - very fast and quite nice

My hotmail only ever gets used for stuff I know I'll get spam anyway :p

16. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I've got 4 email accounts: The email I use for all my forum mails is with my old ISP FSNet, 1 is with my current ISP Pipex (which I don't use at all), my Hotmail Live account (main account) and my Gmail account (signed up about a month or two back to see what it's like).

My hotmail account is coming up to it's tenth year, and I've been using the Windows Live beta and the Live desktop client beta (although in the last month or two it's stopped recognizing my hotmail account for some reason :{).

I like it (although I have found it a bit slow, but I had put that down to my net connection) but it doesn't seem to like Firefox much - If I open an email in firefox I get lines accross the screen as I scroll through emails (no problem in IE). and I've seen this same problem on both my PC's

In the 10 years I've used it, I've recieved very little spam (In fact the only phishing email I've ever recieved was on my Gmail account about 2 days after I opened it :/ before I'd even used it for anything).

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

Well, 280 million people still think so :p

18. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I opened my holtmail account in 98. It has been an excellent account and I will never change if I can help it.

I get a few e-mails a day: a newsletter from an online shop I've regestered with, an e-mail from Bit saying a thread has been updated, Facebook telling me someones 'tagged' me in a picture.

I get absolutely no spam mail. Not sure why! I use my account when I sign up for new accounts etc. I do make sure I read everyhting carefully and tick/untick boxes that say about sending me e-mails or giving my e-mail address to third parties.

My gut feeling about why I don't receve junk is due to my e-mail address itself, it's quite an odd one that originated from a nickname one of my friends called me in school. It's not just the simple Foremane_SirmaneNumber@ kinda thing that proberly gets randomly generated by the people sending the spam.

19. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

I've been accessing Hotmail via pop3 for years. Haven't been on the web interface for eons

20. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

As long as the acount was created before 2004 (I think it was) you can access it by webdev, if the account was created after that though your out of luck unless you use the Subscription version.

seems ours were one of the lucky ones who didn't get the outlook access revoked in 2005.

Tags: Add Tags