1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Does Apple have a new MacBook coming?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 14 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. RTT

RTT #parp

Will it really make that much of a difference in weight? :eyebrow:

If you mean that it'll allow the battery to be smaller (and thus lighter) then tbh i'd rather the battery was kept the same and the 'spare' power be available for improved battery life

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The biggest weight difference will be due to no invertor being required, thus heat output will also be reduced and risk of electrical interference.

4. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I'm hoping for a 12" Macbook / Pro.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

They'll still be overpriced then, right? :)

6. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Me too. Its the only reason for me NOT to switch to apple couse in the powerbook times i never had the money and i just dont want a 15" MBP for mobility reasons.
    Lets hope for the best!

7. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Even more so, LED backlighting ain't cheap.

8. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Are the macbooks getting a Santa Rosa based refresh ?

9. RTT

RTT #parp

Inverters aren't exactly big or heavy :)

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

the ones on most TFT screens I've seen are relatively large, and they have high components/.

11. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Compared to 'stack them high, sell them cheap' Dell - Yes.

Compared to a high status brand like Sony's Viao and they are pretty well priced.

12. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

GO APPLE!

and hurry up with it too... I need an upgrade soon!

13. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Maybe not.. Apple has in recent history has never increased prices.. only decreased.

They always charge the same (over-priced in your case) amount for each model no matter what 'upgrade' was added at each iteration.

I see no reason why they would change that either.

I don't see Apple as over priced.. of course if you're comparing it to a £400 mass produced notebook then of course Apple can't compete but that was never Apple's intention was it.

14. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I like to think that ALL laptops are mass produced, and you indeed pay a slight premium for Apple. I will admit that you are getting a pretty decent warranty with it (if it breaks within your Applecare, which for me, always uncannily doesn't until a few days after it ends).

Still, it doesn't reason why Acer and Dell could make ultra-cheap laptops, while these other brands cannot. I think it's just their intention not to deal with the low-price market. Don't ever think for a second you're getting a higher-quality machine. It's the same Made in Taiwan assembly line computer - you're just paying for image, brand, and industrial design, because as far as I know, Apple has had its massive slew of problems - swelling batteries, exploding laptops, yellowing and chipping finishes...

15. greatslack

greatslack What's a Dremel?

Apple did increase the price on the Mac Mini recently, with the switch to Intel I believe.

As for the rumors of a laptop without an optical drive: it's going to be a while until that happens. The rumor sounds sort of like an UMPC, which given the limited success it's had, I don't think Apple would step out on that limb. The device would be in line with the more "gadget"-centric image that Apple has made for itself, but this thing would not be meant to be a primary computer for anyone. Also, given the high price point for the iPhone and the deal of a laptop called the MacBook, I don't think there is much room for a market in between these two.

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i have only one thing to ask:
    GIVE IT A 2 BUTTON MOUSE!!!!!!!

17. TheVoice

TheVoice What's a Dremel?

The article says there was a switch over from Core Solo to Core 2 Duo, but there were never any Core Solo MacBooks? Just Core Duos, surely (and then C2Ds)?

18. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I think it should have been 'brighter', not 'lighter'.

A little unsure when Bit's news started covering Apple rumors, but I'd still be very happy to see such a part released. My MBP could do with being a bit more portable, as it's currently leg-rapingly hot and the battery life could be a bit better as well too.

19. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Well the Macbook has had an upgrade today, but not much of one. 80GB standard HDD, 1GB standard memory and 2.0GHz standard processor, with the new option of a 2.16GHz. Oh and a slightly faster DVD drive. Hardly earth shattering stuff but will be interesting to see what they do to the MBP for the next refresh, which shouldn't be too far off.

20. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

will there be a Macbook with a powerful dx10 card by the fall? and when the hell will there be more games that are compatible with the mac os? games is what is keeping me from switching. you can always get a two button mouse.

Tags: Add Tags