bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 11th Aug 2008, 04:58   #181
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks, Franklin. Being called crazy by you is a true honor.

@John - Dells are rapidly replacing the concrete block as a way for bachelors to hold up shelves. When I get one, I rip out the fans, heatsinks, wiring, screws, and drives. the rest goes in the trash. I need to read through the laptop screen mod guides someday too. I've got a few of those...
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2008, 05:58   #182
ArcSpark
Did I let the magic smoke out?

ArcSpark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I may be slow, but is there any purpose to the bown and funnel shapes in that block? I didn't see anything mentioned and I have a fear of water cooling to rival my fear of plumbing (water can make such a mess). Does it server any other purpose than looking freaking sweet?
ArcSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2008, 18:52   #183
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
It's mostly to look freakin' sweet. The funnel shape was to avoid turbulence near the intake. The intake on the impeller well is larger than stock too. The only choke point is the exaust.
Keep in mind I'm no hydrodynamics engineer. I'm just playing with intuition.
Old 13th Aug 2008, 18:57   #184
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

E.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run Crysis
I'd think if it performs the same or better , and is as quiet or better than it was with the stock top, you exceeded the expectations on it. Personally, I think it's f'n kick-ass!
LilyPC V.2 - completed!BIO-A10 - MotM Jul. '12 Nominee Loser!"Movie Sign!" - in progressCheckMate - MotM May '09 Nominee Loser!BluBawx I - MotY '09 Nominee Loser!Lumière Noire - MotM Apr. '08 Nominee Loser!NOTalis w/ MNPCTech"Building Better Worlds" - MotM Feb. '08 Nominee Loser!
E.E.L. Ambiense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2008, 19:59   #185
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Old 13th Aug 2008, 20:15   #186
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'll just repeat E.E.L's comments. and add I like it too.

John
Old 14th Aug 2008, 18:19   #187
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

I'll just again, and say thanks.
I got some LED wiring done. I need to work on the reservoir now.
Old 15th Aug 2008, 18:56   #188
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Updates trickle in slowly...

-I'm turning the floppy bay into front loading USB. The last Gateway I gutted had a nice plug for that.

-Glued some brackets on with the help of an 1/8" spacer.

-I did the front LED wiring. I stopped at this point because I was so sleepy, I couldn't figure out what I was doing. It's wired up wrong too.

-Another day and a whole lot of splicing later, it's finished. What a mess.

-I did a test run before I moved on to #2. (PART #2, EEL!)

-The junction box was tricky. The normal glue wouldn't react with the stuff they make the connectors out of. I gobbed some IPS #16 behind each plug, and topped it off with hot glue. It's holding so far. It shouldn't go too far now that it's one big glob.

-It's about time I backed up and showed what I had so far. Still hideous isn't it? It's starting to look a little nautical too. -One more Bioshock mod?

-Lights, courtesy of a Kingston data silo. I've rewired it into a real connector slut. That's 8 white LEDs in the faceplate, 4 in the pump top, and 10 in the chaser. I'm down to about 6 of the original 50 I bought from Besthongkong. I should buy several hundred next time. These didn't stay in the bag long.

Go buy some stuff from my sponsor, DangerDen!
Old 15th Aug 2008, 19:21   #189
bentleya
Lian Li Snail :)

bentleya has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbentleya has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
SHIZLE we have light
bentleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2008, 20:42   #190
yeknom
Multimodder

yeknom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The res looks like a submarine

Okay, that was pushing it, but whatever.
yeknom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2008, 00:59   #191
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

@Yeknom - That's what I've been thinking. Now it's spread to the whole rig.
Old 20th Aug 2008, 16:57   #192
Angel OD
Pump Killer

Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
OMG Cheap...
That is the craziest frikkin pumptop I have EVER seen in my life...

I'm at a loss for words right now, so I'll just... dunno... bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb... <--- Sorry, my jaw just hit the keyboard...

Btw, sorry I didn't respond to the PM, I'm not in here much during the summer, but I'll be up in full effect when it get's cold outside!
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=207889 - Motm nominee
The Theory of Everything http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=219504 - Motm WINNER!
Angel OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2008, 18:07   #193
skullen
Supermodder

skullen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice one Cheapskate,looking good
skullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2008, 18:41   #194
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Thanks AngelOD and Skullen.
@AngelOD - It's OK. The PM was just a thank you to let you know your generous effort was put to good use. I'm looking forward to seeing some modding when you get snowed in.
Old 22nd Aug 2008, 23:02   #195
acey
Multimodder

acey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm you have something for transparent stuffs eh? Nice
acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2008, 18:53   #196
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Thanks acey.
Old 24th Aug 2008, 23:08   #197
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Tiny, uneventful updates suck...

...Cleaning out the camera...not much of an update.

-I did a half-arsed job on the copper res intakes. After varnishing they looked like crayons. I will have to clean off the varnish and polish them completely.

-I got the wiring box mounted. This is an underbelly shot.

That's IT! I haven't had a chance to do anything this week because of the Bloo leak.

Old 26th Sep 2008, 02:01   #198
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Tinier and more uneventfuller...

-I milled out some black ABS for a junction on the LED wiring.

-Here it is installed.
Expect another update by 2009.

Old 16th Oct 2008, 20:17   #199
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

It lives! Both da thread and other stuff

I discovered the LED chaser now works. I'm thinking having it flop around in the project box for a few months has fixed whatever was wrong with it, (or maybe I had it plugged in wrong before.)
...anyway, I had to mount it in something to hide my amazing wiring snarl.

-So I built a box out of smoked 1/8" plexi. I used the angle aluminum to hold straight it for fusing.

-aannnnd quickly broke it by drilling into it without something behind it. I glued the crack back together and finished drilling with a diamond bit. The crack will go good with the recycled theme.

-Here's the rough test fit. Someone is going to call the Boston bomb squad on me for this one.
I have decided it needs an off switch. It's really bright and seizure-inducing -even imbedded in the plastic.

You know the routine. Love my sponsor, even if you don't love the 'Toad.
Old 16th Oct 2008, 20:21   #200
ROB 636
Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop

ROB 636 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Do a video of the chaser. Like to see how the disk looks.

Tags
scratch build

View Mode