1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve cancels The Black Box

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Henk

Henk Uninformed Opinionist

Since I haven't completed HL2 yet (the "borrowed" version stops functioning mysteriously in the middle of ravenholm ;)), I only see this as good news. I get it all (for the time being) in one relatively cheap package :rock:

I guess this sucks though for those who already have hl2 and ep1 and aren't able to buy stuff through steam...

Last edited: 21 May 2007
  3. plagio

plagio What's a Dremel?

:D these borrowed versions always get stuck there.
    I'll buy episode two via steam. If it was HL3 I would want to have the CD/DVD but since it's just an episode/expansion I don't care that much.

4. MrBadidea

MrBadidea What's a Dremel?

Err, get the hell out?

We go walking into a store and buy a copy of either, all we're really getting are codes to get the gear off of Steam. They might as well do what EA did with BF2142 Northern Strike; DVD Game Box, open it up, no disc, no manual, just a piece of paper with a code to throw into EA Link to download your copy of Northern Strike. Afterall, its not like HL2 will work without Steam running as well, so I fail to understand how this works.

Oh wait, yes I do. Greedy. ****ing. *******s.

5. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Well knowing Valve, they'll at least have an install DVD in the box, I guess it saves a bit of bandwidth if your limited....

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Is this the best publicity they could think of for the launch of ep2?

7. MrBadidea

MrBadidea What's a Dremel?

Wait, you mean its actually getting released? I thought this was yet another "srsly we iz behind on ze release. gief more time plx" :rolleyes:

8. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Download it off steam. It's the best thing you can do. I personally prefer Steam to DVDs, if I could I'd get all my games over Steam. Your games are in a centralised location and you can download and install them on any PC, so no more losing disks or whatever. Also, it's not terribly hard to go over to a friends, log on on your Steam account and show them the new game you bought.

On topic though, I'm waiting for episode 1, 2 and 3 to be done so I can buy a package deal. $20 per game is ridiculous, $60 is overpriced for a full game and as far as I can tell, Ep 1 wasn't long enough to be one third of a full game.

So I want to pay $40 for the three of them, or maybe even $50, but no more then that.

9. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

I might remember wrong but was the Black box not going to be bundled with the new Radeons? how will that go down, will people get the orange box instead?

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

This feels like a poor move, but it's sensible imho.

I'll probably still buy the orange box - I like to have a physical copy of things, and with an install disk you don't have to sit around eating up your own bandwidth downloading something, especially because the pre-load speed on Steam is fairly lame once half the world wants it.

11. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I completed a "borrowed" copy of HL2, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I was actually meaning to get the Orange box so that I would have Ep 1 as well (and HL2 too). So this doesn't affect me, but it still seems like some people will be getting a rough deal.

I don't know about everyone else, but I prefer to have a disc to install (and reinstall) from. I don't want to have to wait 4 hours before I can start playing after I've had to reinstall the game. Oh, and I like to have a manual in my hands to read. If I've paid for the game, I don't want to have to be using a PDF.

It actually makes me feel like waiting for Ep 3, then just buying that with HL2, Ep 1 and Ep 2 on physical media. Maybe not, I really want to play!

12. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

however if you buy them in the shops, you pay about as much

You get an install disc which means no waiting around for hours downloading HL2 Base textures, and in the future, you can still download the full lot off steam if you lose your disc, or you can install off the disc and update over steam, saving some hours

13. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Sounds like it's more sensible to wait for Ep3 and by all 3 episodes for one low price :)

14. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

yeah but then ep4 will be coming out, you will never buy it if you take that attitude

Also, i forgot to actually rant earlier, this is totally lame, people who actually have HL2 are being forced to buy it all over again

15. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

only if you want the disc

makes no difference to me as i was going to buy on steam anyway :p

16. quack

quack Minimodder

Meh, I'll be getting Ep 2 through Steam so this news doesn't affect me in the slightest.

17. Satyric_saint

Satyric_saint What's a Dremel?

Greed! Greed! Greed! Greed! Greed! Greed! Greed! Greed! Greed! Thats all I hear from this whole thing. :sigh: I have HL2 and HL2 EP1 I don't want to buy them again and I damn sure not going to download them From steam. (it takes to long, and I have sprint high speed) I tried that once with HL2 but after it gave me a 2day Download status I just got out my CD's and installed it and updated it in 25 minutes. :duh: Seems that Valve is starting to go the way of the almighty buck. :grr:

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

with a montly 20gb download limit, downloading my games on steam makes me bust the limit without a doubt :-/

19. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

So wait, I'll essentially be paying for HL2 and EP1 twice, despite the discount? Lame.

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i think i will get the valve complete pack...... it is rather expensive... but it has everything...... and i played HL2 via a borrowed version..... :D

Tags: Add Tags