bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 5th Jun 2007, 00:30   #1
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Pfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run Crysis
Project Fibonacci Sequence

Well this is my second mod. And the first I'm doing as a Project Log.

I decided to make the case in dimensions based on the Fibonacci sequence
1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55.

The design is to make the case in the proportions of the Fibonacci sequence. But if I used 1inch then the case would be 13x21x34 in any combination, that is one big case. So I decided to use .75in per unit and that way it was much more manageable dimensions and I deciced to make it square on top.

So, I started last night with this piece of walnut.

It was 6 x 36 and 13/16ths. After I cut the rails and stiles and ran them through the planer they were exactly 3/4in square.

Here are the shavings from planing them.

Next I cut the rails and stiles to length.
4 stiles and 9 rails, just in case I need an extra.

Next came laying out the pieces so far and labeling them.
I liked the blue painters tape, because it came off cleanly and was easier than trying to read pencil marks on the wood.

Next was cutting the tenons. I used a tenoning jig for the most part and then used the fine tooth saw to finish the job off.

The next was to cut the slots on the rails for the mohagany inserts. The are spaced out in the same sequence 1,1,2,3,5,8 (3/4in per unit)

Here is a top view shot

and lastly, here are the stiles cut with all the rabbits to recieve the plexiglass.

Next step is to mortice the holes in the rails to recieve the stiles. I'm not sure I like the half lap joints, I wanted something simple, in keeping with the design, but not sure what other strong joints are out there that are strong enough with 3/4in stock.

More to follow...

Last edited by Pfaffen; 15th Jun 2007 at 00:28.
Pfaffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2007, 01:21   #2
Rocket733
Austerity - It's the only way

Rocket733 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looking good so far. Why kind of woodworking background do you have seeing as how you have all these nice tools?
Rocket733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2007, 02:01   #3
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Pfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run Crysis
Started out Small

I started about 10 years ago, just making small things, boxes, shelves, nothing really to speak about. Then as I collected more (what I could afford) tools, I began to build other things. Now, I'm building cases. Would still like to get a band saw and a stationary router table to complete my work room. I liked the blend of wood working and computers.
Old 5th Jun 2007, 13:21   #4
widmod
Supermodder

widmod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
such case ideas happen when somebody reads to much Dan Brown
widmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2007, 13:58   #5
fungry
Multimodder

fungry has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
haha Dan Brown is just great. nonetheless, it is an original case.

but is there a way to exemplify that this case is built based on the fibonacci sequence? like have numbers engraved all over the case to display that. because without some fibonacci indicator, i would think this case is something BUT based on fibonacci.

my point is, somehow suggest to the audience the significance of your case. would be very interesting.
fungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2007, 15:39   #6
dacust
What's a Dremel?

dacust has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would just put the name Fibonacci on there somewhere small and let people figure it out. Some will get it, some won't. But the seemingly randomness of the cuts will make it look interesting even if they don't.

My programs don't have bugs, they just develop random features.

WaterPlant worklog - in progress - Bit-Tech article - WaterPlant site - Home Page - PowerPlant PC - Designing
Don't worry about your english. This is an international forum. That's what makes it great. If I don't understand, I'll ask. Just MOD ON!
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2007, 15:43   #7
fungry
Multimodder

fungry has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hmmm yea that could probably do.
fungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2007, 15:47   #8
rynoman
What's a Dremel?

rynoman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
looks like this will be an interesting project and will keep an eye on it.

keep up the good work

p4 3.0 gigabyte mobo 250g seagate 2gig ram evga 7950gt enermax 500w in13 year old custom gateway case runnin xp home
rynoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2007, 19:43   #9
x06jsp
da ginger monkey!!!!

x06jsp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
looking good! very original idea
x06jsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2007, 22:23   #10
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Too much time

I agree. Way too much time on my hands, but I also read the Golden Ratio by Mario Livio. The concept was quite interesting and led to some lively discussions with my friends.

This the concept drawing for the left side.

I'm still toying with the idea of putting the formula, or the number sequence on the other side.

fn = fn-1 + fn-2 with f1 = f2 = 1

More to follow.
Old 5th Jun 2007, 22:35   #11
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Bottom dry fit

Here is a shot of the bottom dry fitted together.

Here is a shot of the corner. Need to tighten it up a bit.

Here is a shot of the corner with the stile removed. A little bit over shot with the drill press, but that mistake is covered up by the stile.

Here is the little jig I created to hold the pieces together while I drilled the holes.

Old 5th Jun 2007, 22:37   #12
x06jsp
da ginger monkey!!!!

x06jsp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nice keep them coming!
x06jsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2007, 11:21   #13
jokkos
too busy to mod *sigh*

jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
hmm an original theme for a mod. I like it so far!
Old 6th Jun 2007, 16:46   #14
MikeK
Multimodder

MikeK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great woodwork!

The design looks really nice!
Old 6th Jun 2007, 17:52   #15
dacust
What's a Dremel?

dacust has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfaffen
I'm still toying with the idea of putting the formula, or the number sequence on the other side.

fn = fn-1 + fn-2 with f1 = f2 = 1
Well, there again, to follow my original idea, how about putting the formula on a sticket or badge, unobtrusive, like the "Intel Inside" or other stickers. The numbers could number the PCI slots in the rear.

My programs don't have bugs, they just develop random features.

WaterPlant worklog - in progress - Bit-Tech article - WaterPlant site - Home Page - PowerPlant PC - Designing
Don't worry about your english. This is an international forum. That's what makes it great. If I don't understand, I'll ask. Just MOD ON!
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2007, 01:56   #16
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Good idea. I could put it in the bottom corner. Thanks...
Old 9th Jun 2007, 02:09   #17
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Dry Fit

Here is a shot of the bottom and the 4 stiles

All the mortices and tenons need some touch up.
Old 9th Jun 2007, 06:07   #18
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
wow that is a great idea, BTW nice woodworking skills
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2007, 14:03   #19
tolis86
Multimodder

tolis86 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
mmmmm fibonacci nature's beauty in many ways.... keep up!! its gonna "rock"
tolis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2007, 14:07   #20
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Assembled

Here are a couple of shots assembled.

Here is the jig I made to do the routing of the rails. all the top rails and the bottom rails are going to have a curve to them. Should be about a 1/4 of an inch across the length.

Here is a shot of the corner. It seems there was a small adjustment to the table saw between the time I cut the stiles and the rails. That just means, you always have to double check your work.

Here is a shot from the top.

Lastly, a couple of shots for the width and height

Next step it to get the plexiglass, cut it and put it in.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Pfaffen
__________________________________________________ ___________
Case Mod: World Map - Complete

View Mode