What's a Dremel?

Darth Invader has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Modular PSU made at home

Hey friends, today would like share with you a family's revenue:

Modular PSU made at home!

I opened for psu and separated the cover:

I used the original cover to cut a new front for for psu:

I holed and I riveted the new front, keeping the old

Using a micro-rectifies, I did a cut to case the connector db25, and with the drill and a thick drill, I did 4 holes for the connectors Mic

I stretched the connector atx cables until the connector db25 and cut them letting a free time to weld them. (Hint: Use cables term-retractile or hot glue to isolate the cables after weld them)

I passed the cable atx inside cuting, I arrested with retractile term, (watch out to do not invert the cables order), weld them in the other connector db25

I repeated the operation, now with the cables molex

To improve the visual and the refrigeration, I changed for fan of psupor a colored, put a cover of acrylic and a second fan in the cover top, and I used lasergrill for the finishing.

Then it was alone to close the source, and it is ready! Modular PSU made at home!

Time expense:
06 hours
Money expense: (US$ 20 + PSU)

The Advantage of this modification in psu cables, is just that allows a better interior organization of the case, and consequently a better refrigeration, besides you have the option of only to connect the cables that is going to use, or it adapts them its way.

It is worth remind that it should pay attention in the order of the cables in the hour to welding them to do not occur any mistake, following this recommendation, there is not larger secrets.

Hugs,
Darth
Old 5th Jun 2007, 04:42   #2
notatoad
pretty fing wonderful

notatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow. well done.

i've been thinking about doing this to my psu for a while. hopefully this will finally motivate me.
Old 5th Jun 2007, 04:50   #3
Gravemind123

Gravemind123 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sweet job there, looks pretty cool as a finished product, especially when compared to the PSU you started with!

Dell XPS M1330 - T8300 - 4GB Ram - 8400M GS - 250GB HDD
Gravemind123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2007, 05:46   #4
Duste
Sierra my delta, bravo!

Duste has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That's pretty cool dude.
Duste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2007, 02:13   #5
Darth Invader
What's a Dremel?

Darth Invader has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoad
wow. well done.
i've been thinking about doing this to my psu for a while. hopefully this will finally motivate me.
The hour is now!
Do yours and stake the photos here so that we can admires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravemind123
Sweet job there, looks pretty cool as a finished product, especially when compared to the PSU you started with!
Thanks it is a modification of low cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duste
That's pretty cool dude.
Thanks Duste!!

Hugs from Brazil,
Darth
Old 6th Jun 2007, 03:56   #6
Crazyglue
Multimodder

Crazyglue has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
omg that is sooooo siiiiiickkk
Core2Duo E6300 @ 3.1ghz | Gigabyte EP45T-UD3P | 2x2GB OCZ Reaper 1066 | 5-5-5-15 @ 1100mhz | Sapphire HD 3870 512mb @ 825/1200 | WD 200GB SATA, 500GB SATA, and seagate 1TB SATA | PC Power and Cooling 750w single 60A rail
Crazyglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2007, 05:42   #7
geek1017
Hypermodder

geek1017 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm...DB25 and XLR connectors right?

It might have been safer to go with female panel mount jack rather than the male plug.
Certainly is something I'll have to look into with a few mod ideas I've had.

When I have time, money, and soldering practice.
Have to find out if the panel mounts can be made waterproof though
geek1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2007, 07:44   #8
g0th
Supermodder

g0th has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1017
Hmm...DB25 and XLR connectors right?

It might have been safer to go with female panel mount jack rather than the male plug.
Certainly is something I'll have to look into with a few mod ideas I've had.

When I have time, money, and soldering practice.
Have to find out if the panel mounts can be made waterproof though
The 4-pin connector isn't an XLR, it's a nice type of connector, I don't know what it's called, but they're usually found on microphone connectors on radio transceivers. They might just be called microphone connectors.

They're very nice connectors for PSU wiring like this. If you've ever seen the "Hiper" modular PSUs, they use exactly the same connectors.
g0th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2007, 15:03   #9
CollinstheClown
-Xbox Pwner-

CollinstheClown has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's called a "4-Pin Panel Mount Microphone Audio Jack", but it's easier and cooler to call it a 4-pin XLR connector. I saw this posted over at TBCS, very cool indeed.

Edit:
Just did a quick search, and it is indeed XLR. XLR has nothing to do with the pins, but rather the physical connector. Those are "XLR4s".

-CollinstheClown
CollinstheClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2007, 03:03   #10
Sebbo
Multimodder

Sebbo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i've been meaning to do this myself for a while, i've had all the connectors sitting in a bag for a year now...never thought of using a DB25 for the atx connector though

while it might be safer to have the female plugs in the PSU, it isn't possible. the female plugs are made with a metal sleeve on the end for the cable to fit through, while the male plugs have the nuts on them to secure them in a hole
Intel Core i7 920, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 12GB Corsair Dominator PC-12800, Sapphire HD7970, Crucial m300 120GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Samsung Spinpoint 1TB, Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Logitech G510 and G9, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers, Dell U2713HM 27" and 2408WFP 24" monitors
Sebbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2007, 10:22   #11
Xlixen
Multimodder

Xlixen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow, kickass!
Xlixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2007, 02:11   #12
mattthegamer463
Mod Master

mattthegamer463 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well done.

I modded a PSU for use as a testing supply, and I didn't want any cables to I modded them into the housing:

I wanted to do something similar with all the connectors, but the amount of filing it took for the four there, and the lack of connectors for the other kinds made me not want to attempt the mod. Your clever use of a parallel connector and microphone plugs gives the mod new light.
Lian-Li PC7: C2D E6600, XFX 8800GTS 640MB, Corsair 2GB PC6400, 320GB Seagate Barracuda, EVGA 680i SLi, OCZ 850W
mattthegamer463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2007, 12:01   #13
SteveyG
Electromodder

SteveyG has yet to learn the way of the DremelSteveyG has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd be wary of the 25 pin D connector. Each pin is only rated for 1A, so it's a bit of a weak link in the chain - especially since it's supplying your motherboard.
SteveyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2007, 22:52   #14
Kenny_McCormick
Supermodder

Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kenny_McCormick - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Good idea the XLRs, and great job with that PSU. I think I'll do the same but I wont cut the ATX connector because I must plug it always ^^
Old 11th Jun 2007, 23:21   #15
Stonewall78
Multimodder

Stonewall78 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I was thinking the same thing myself when I saw this SteveyG. You are better off using a larger Molex plug that will take all the wires.
Stonewall78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2007, 03:26   #16
supermonkey
Deal with it

supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
That's very nice, Darth. I've been thinking of doing the same thing for my PSU. I have too many unused wires inside the case, and it would be nice to get rid of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebbo
the female plugs are made with a metal sleeve on the end for the cable to fit through, while the male plugs have the nuts on them to secure them in a hole
And this is why you don't see a lot of women in engineering. Men just love to giggle at sentences like that.

-monkey
But of bliss and of glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
supermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2007, 22:53   #17
vaderag
I know what a Dremel is...

vaderag has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow - that is really impressive. Makes me wonder why i'm spending so much on a Corsair modular psu!
Can somebody do a guide on the cable wrapping?!
vaderag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2007, 07:53   #18
ReFredzRate
Relix Headshot!!

ReFredzRate has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Really like the outcome. You gonna paint it though?
ReFredzRate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2007, 12:16   #19
DarkOne42
How many PC's do you have?

DarkOne42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OU I like it.....I have a media PC and so so many cables that do nothing....
I should do the same, or at least remove some of the unused cables.....
Good show.
DarkOne42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2007, 14:15   #20
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Let's not call 'em XLRs, because they're not. Real Four-pin XLRs are often used for 12 and 24V power on film and TV cameras, and they're emphatically not compatible with what you're using here.

That said yes they're very suitable. I share our correspondent's concerns about the current rating on the DB25, but you'll probably get away with it.

Phil
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guide

View Mode