1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Modular PSU made at home

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Darth Invader, 5 Jun 2007.

1. Darth Invader

Darth Invader What's a Dremel?

Hey friends, today would like share with you a family's revenue:

Modular PSU made at home!

I opened for psu and separated the cover:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used the original cover to cut a new front for for psu:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I holed and I riveted the new front, keeping the old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Using a micro-rectifies, I did a cut to case the connector db25, and with the drill and a thick drill, I did 4 holes for the connectors Mic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I stretched the connector atx cables until the connector db25 and cut them letting a free time to weld them. (Hint: Use cables term-retractile or hot glue to isolate the cables after weld them)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I passed the cable atx inside cuting, I arrested with retractile term, (watch out to do not invert the cables order), weld them in the other connector db25
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I repeated the operation, now with the cables molex
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To improve the visual and the refrigeration, I changed for fan of psupor a colored, put a cover of acrylic and a second fan in the cover top, and I used lasergrill for the finishing.
    [​IMG]

Then it was alone to close the source, and it is ready! Modular PSU made at home!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time expense:
    06 hours
    Money expense: (US$ 20 + PSU)

The Advantage of this modification in psu cables, is just that allows a better interior organization of the case, and consequently a better refrigeration, besides you have the option of only to connect the cables that is going to use, or it adapts them its way.

It is worth remind that it should pay attention in the order of the cables in the hour to welding them to do not occur any mistake, following this recommendation, there is not larger secrets.

Hugs,
    Darth

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

wow. well done.

i've been thinking about doing this to my psu for a while. hopefully this will finally motivate me.

3. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Sweet job there, looks pretty cool as a finished product, especially when compared to the PSU you started with!

4. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

That's pretty cool dude. :eek:

5. Darth Invader

Darth Invader What's a Dremel?

The hour is now!
    Do yours and stake the photos here so that we can admires

Thanks it is a modification of low cost :naughty:

Thanks Duste!!

Hugs from Brazil,
    Darth

6. Crazyglue

Crazyglue What's a Dremel?

omg that is sooooo siiiiiickkk

7. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

Hmm...DB25 and XLR connectors right?

It might have been safer to go with female panel mount jack rather than the male plug.
    Certainly is something I'll have to look into with a few mod ideas I've had.

When I have time, money, and soldering practice.
    Have to find out if the panel mounts can be made waterproof though :D

8. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

The 4-pin connector isn't an XLR, it's a nice type of connector, I don't know what it's called, but they're usually found on microphone connectors on radio transceivers. They might just be called microphone connectors.

They're very nice connectors for PSU wiring like this. If you've ever seen the "Hiper" modular PSUs, they use exactly the same connectors.

mvagusta likes this.
  9. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

It's called a "4-Pin Panel Mount Microphone Audio Jack", but it's easier and cooler to call it a 4-pin XLR connector. I saw this posted over at TBCS, very cool indeed.

Edit:
    Just did a quick search, and it is indeed XLR. XLR has nothing to do with the pins, but rather the physical connector. Those are "XLR4s". :)

-CollinstheClown

10. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

i've been meaning to do this myself for a while, i've had all the connectors sitting in a bag for a year now...never thought of using a DB25 for the atx connector though

while it might be safer to have the female plugs in the PSU, it isn't possible. the female plugs are made with a metal sleeve on the end for the cable to fit through, while the male plugs have the nuts on them to secure them in a hole

11. Xlixen

Xlixen What's a Dremel?

wow, kickass!

12. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Well done.

I modded a PSU for use as a testing supply, and I didn't want any cables to I modded them into the housing:
    [​IMG]

I wanted to do something similar with all the connectors, but the amount of filing it took for the four there, and the lack of connectors for the other kinds made me not want to attempt the mod. Your clever use of a parallel connector and microphone plugs gives the mod new light.

13. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I'd be wary of the 25 pin D connector. Each pin is only rated for 1A, so it's a bit of a weak link in the chain - especially since it's supplying your motherboard.

14. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

Good idea the XLRs, and great job with that PSU. I think I'll do the same but I wont cut the ATX connector because I must plug it always ^^

15. Stonewall78

Stonewall78 What's a Dremel?

I was thinking the same thing myself when I saw this SteveyG. You are better off using a larger Molex plug that will take all the wires.

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

That's very nice, Darth. I've been thinking of doing the same thing for my PSU. I have too many unused wires inside the case, and it would be nice to get rid of them.

And this is why you don't see a lot of women in engineering. Men just love to giggle at sentences like that. :blush:

-monkey

17. vaderag

vaderag I know what a Dremel is...

Wow - that is really impressive. Makes me wonder why i'm spending so much on a Corsair modular psu!
    Can somebody do a guide on the cable wrapping?!

18. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Really like the outcome. You gonna paint it though?

19. DarkOne42

DarkOne42 How many PC's do you have?

OU I like it.....I have a media PC and so so many cables that do nothing....
    I should do the same, or at least remove some of the unused cables.....
    Good show.

20. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Let's not call 'em XLRs, because they're not. Real Four-pin XLRs are often used for 12 and 24V power on film and TV cameras, and they're emphatically not compatible with what you're using here.

That said yes they're very suitable. I share our correspondent's concerns about the current rating on the DB25, but you'll probably get away with it.

Phil

Tags: