bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Jun 2007, 15:21   #1
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
VIA OQO UMPC can really play games

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/06...y_play_games/1

COMPUTEX 2007: We have a bash at some retro gaming while going ultra portable, yet, still retaining a use of a full keyboard and decent sized screen.

Old 12th Jun 2007, 15:37   #2
olly_lewis
Hypermodder

olly_lewis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Pretty sweet... If only the Vista was a bit more compatible with older games and you could use Vista instead of XP, but in time compatibility will improve...
Wonder if it could handle Sim City 4... on low low settings?

My signature dumped me...
Old 12th Jun 2007, 15:42   #3
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Might do, that's the kind of game you could kill hours on one of those things (providing you have a plug socket )

I've requested one from VIA for review, for a month, so we'll see.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2007, 15:44   #4
BioSniper
I Mod, Therefore I Own

BioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm surprised Quake 3 and HL are being classed as "Retro classics" as in all honesty I thought "retro" was generally a tile given to items of around 20 years in age.
Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
Frankly this thread has become a bunch of methed up old women in a hat store.
BioSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2007, 15:51   #5
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Agreement, Biosniper.

Reminds me of my old Psion 5mx. Ah, good days.
Old 12th Jun 2007, 15:57   #6
Jokkocze
Hypermodder

Jokkocze has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ooh.. one of those would be nice..
Anything on when they'll be avalible?
Old 12th Jun 2007, 16:02   #7
./^\.Ace./^\.
Supermodder

./^\.Ace./^\. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hey we can now have some portable Quake death matches any where that you can get the internet forgt lan parties, now we can have where ever you want parties
Also there must be a wider range of games that can be played on the OQO model 02.
I still have the problem with the EVDO/WWAN conection only comming from Sprint and Verizon right now. I'm in Canada and I use TELUS so I would have to work out some kind of activation with them At least the WiFi will work in most cities
CPU: Intel i7 920 | RAM: 6GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR3 1866MHz | Mother Board: Asus P6T | GPU: Dual BFG GeForce GTX295 rev.B(Quad SLI) | PSU Antec TPQ-1000 | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | HDD: 500GB WD Caviar Black, 1TB WD Carviar Green & 45GB Corsair Accelerator | ODD: Pioneer DVR-216D | Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 | Monitor: LG W2343T 23" | OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit |
i7 Builds #1, #2, #3
./^\.Ace./^\. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2007, 16:16   #8
Hugo
Ultramodder

Hugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You can buy them already from expansys
Old 12th Jun 2007, 16:18   #9
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So basically t'is an overpowered PDA/Cell Phone/Etc, or an underpowered mini laptop? Pretty cool, tbh.
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2007, 16:21   #10
./^\.Ace./^\.
Supermodder

I wouldn't say uder powered I will run Windows Vista ultimate, that need a good amount of processing power
CPU: Intel i7 920 | RAM: 6GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR3 1866MHz | Mother Board: Asus P6T | GPU: Dual BFG GeForce GTX295 rev.B(Quad SLI) | PSU Antec TPQ-1000 | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | HDD: 500GB WD Caviar Black, 1TB WD Carviar Green & 45GB Corsair Accelerator | ODD: Pioneer DVR-216D | Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 | Monitor: LG W2343T 23" | OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit |
i7 Builds #1, #2, #3
Old 12th Jun 2007, 16:22   #11
Bluephoenix
Spoon? What spoon?

Bluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for president
have one
I guess there are benefits to being in the US after all

it plays Sim City 4 quite nicely, and even manages supcom (low settings)

I'm in fact writing on here and can say that its a nice beast, but not meant for FPS action on the go. As far as the mobile broadband goes, I didn't bother with it, too expensive but the availablility of Wi-fi (and the fact that almost no one remembers to secure theirs) over here makes it easy to connect.

for those looking for ways to get the games going on the go with laptops without using the CD drive (and massive battery loss) use daemon tools, copy the disc and mount it from the HDD.
Bluephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2007, 16:59   #12
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
This is what I told VIA(Arena); as soon as hotspots and WiMAX prevail things like that will be all the rage with twittering and blogging on the go.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2007, 17:09   #13
Jokkocze
Hypermodder

Jokkocze has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
From 1500 USD and up..
Old 12th Jun 2007, 17:20   #14
./^\.Ace./^\.
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluephoenix
the availablility of Wi-fi (and the fact that almost no one remembers to secure theirs) over here makes it easy to connect.
In downtown Toronto you can find a free WiFi hot-spot on almost every street corner. Peolpe just don't secure there WiFi like they should
I have a question though what is the WiFi range like with the OQO's antenna
i7 Builds #1, #2, #3
Old 12th Jun 2007, 17:37   #15
Bluephoenix
Spoon? What spoon?

Bluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for president
excellent, it picks up on a linksys 54G router signal even through 3 cinderblock walls, at about 3/4 the max distance, but still gets full speed. my freind's Vaio won't even see the router at the same location.
Bluephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2007, 17:53   #16
riggs
^_^

riggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter
Reminds me of my old Psion 5mx. Ah, good days.
Hehe, so true! Although I couldn't afford a 5 series, so went for a Revo...still a damn good machine though. Think I've still got it somewhere...

This thing looks damn nice, if a little pointless for most folk. I'd buy one, but only if I had vast amounts of cash to spare.
Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's your father. Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie!

PSN ID: buster2006
riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2007, 20:55   #17
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
to expensive for my pocket, but it owns!!!!!!
Old 12th Jun 2007, 20:59   #18
zhangmaster12
Hypermodder

zhangmaster12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ive had the pleasure of actually trying one myself, and i must say that its a great product. The screen is a little small and a little dark, but with a few adjustments, the lighting can be improved. It is faster than my parents dell p4 2.4 ghz and is extremely light and lives up to the name of UMPC.
Old 13th Jun 2007, 00:43   #19
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
looks cool and interesting... but I had very very bad experience with Via products... specially for mobo's. Never latest more then 3 months and all I had was sever BIOS issues. So, personally I don't know about this....

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2007, 11:51   #20
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs
Hehe, so true! Although I couldn't afford a 5 series, so went for a Revo...still a damn good machine though. Think I've still got it somewhere...

This thing looks damn nice, if a little pointless for most folk. I'd buy one, but only if I had vast amounts of cash to spare.
Mm. I ended up going for a 5, despite the extra cost... the keys were so much better, and they were actually a half-decent size considering the overall size of the Psion. I was so annoyed when the ribbon cable got damaged and all it gave me was a corrupt screen! And Psion wanted over 400 to repair it! I think not - it cost me less than that!