1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony to change the PS3 controller?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 15 Jun 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Kinda was hinted at by Logitech when they announced their PS3 controller with Rumble.

3. firefly

firefly What's a Dremel?

Well.. just wire the damn thing and get it out already!

I can't say there's ever been a situation where I've thought "God, I wish this controller was wireless". Running out of juice during my l33t gaming sessions is just not an option. The only exception to this rule being the Wii controller which jus flat out would not work with wires.

Can't see what Sony are procrastinating about here really, are people so hooked on wireless now that it would seem like a cop-out on Sonys part?

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think sony are realising they half baked their cake, but unfortunately lots of people have already taken a slice.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

what is the battery duration on a wiimote? if the trend is to to go wireless then sony cant go wired.

6. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

The problem many people would have is going from wirelss to wired, personally I can't stand using either my PS3 or 360 controller whilst it is being charged...

The battery life is going to be a serious issue though, so perhaps wired is the only option (unless they use a much larger battery).

7. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

just because the game console is £360 does not mean the people who have it have deep pockets, because someone with an expensive item does not mean they are rich. They may have saved for a long time for it.

Anyway about time too. Got to have rumble to enjoy formula 1 :) I hope rumble and a feedback wheel is out in time for the next formula 1 as I plan on getting a PS3 at xmas and dont want to have to buy new joypads and chuck the standard one.

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

They should just package a docking station and leave it wireless, or wire it. Doesn't make a difference to me.

9. [stuart]

[stuart] What's a Dremel?

I got roughly 40 hours of play during my 2 day Twilight Princess binge and this was with the cheapo no name AA batteries that come with the Wiimote.

If Nintendo can manage rumble, motion sensing and the little speaker, surely Sony can get two of the three in.

10. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

But i think the problem as sony stated is how the sixaxis senses motion with the accelerometer vs the infrared of the wii mote. It is a problem that could be fixed but will it?

I would like to know how they intend to run rumble off of the 3.3V( if i remember right) that their LI-poly battery gives them. That battery cant have that much capacity

11. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Man, about time they think about coming out with rumble. I knew of Logitech's rumble controller. In all honesty, wired sucks. Wireless is so much better in terms of hand and body placement since there's no wire there to hold you back. Another good thing: No tripping/liability claims!

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

notice that the wiimote has accelerometers and rumble.

13. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'd like the addition of rumble. I don't care if the controller is wired as long as its long enough, and Sony has always been generous with cable length. Nintendo, on the other hand, always bugged me with their gamecube controllers having like a 3 inch cord.

If they can make the controller last 5 hours before having to be charged, that would be more than enough for me. Thats enough for 2-3 play sessions for me and I can just plug it in when I'm done.

And I'm still waiting on Nintendo to release an official rechargeable battery pack for their Wii-mote. The third party ones are all terrible.

14. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Rumble is nice, but I don't consider it too important. Wireless is cool, but I hate worrying about batteries, and I've never had much trouble with wired controllers.

Personally, I would probbably buy a wired PS3 controller with rumble and six-axis even if there was a wireless option, I simply hate worrying about batteries.

L J

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

but wireless is the future :p

16. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

I'd laugh if they brought back the old version...
    [​IMG]

-CollinstheClown

17. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I hate the position of the analogue sticks. I mean they make it so you must use them in most games so why is there still the dpad in the place where it feel more comfortable to have the analogue stick. Microsoft had got it right, I love MS 360 pads and the original xbox pad. I would also prefer the second stick where the buttons are and arch the buttons around the stick. Id think that would feel much better.

Sonys position of both sticks gives me cramp as its not natural or comfortable. They need to sort it out. What seems to be a temp fix on the Ps1 as been made fixed. I mean when the sticks came out for PS1 most games used the D-pad and not many games used the sticks so there position was out of the way and not to effect the normal play with the d-pad. PS2 used the same pad which I thought was stupid because most games were made to use the sticks and they should have replaced the d-pad then. I think they are even more stupid to use the same setup a third time. Let hope for a complete re-design.

18. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

You must not use a Playstation controller very much. Especially after playing GTA San Andreas - I abesolutely love the layout of the Playstation Controller better than any other console. *disclaimer - the Wii mote is in a different class than every other controller, but I still dispise it as I believe it is the sole reason Nintendo is shipping any Wii's. I always hated the X-Box controller for the "triggers" - all I see in triggers are a lot of slack before the thing starts to respond (just like a lot of the buttons on the GC controller). I think it is wrong to place the stick in in the "upper left" (ie GC X-Box) because that is easier to access, BUT the stick does not require "easy access" - I mean all you have to do is tilt the little thing. D-Pads are more of a challenge with 4 little buttons to push (BTW the GC d-pad is the most useless thing to ever be placed on a controller. . .). Plus, I hardly find the playstation analog stick hard to reach, I kinda think it's more comfortable in it's "odd" position.

L J

19. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

the only problem with the PlayStation controller for me is its a bit small, some of the custom controllers are much more ergonomic, and fit your hands a lot better
    Other then that, although it seems a bit odd, everything on the PS controller is at your fingertips

20. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

IMHO i would just put a wire on it and say it has an infinite battery life.

Tags: Add Tags