bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Jun 2007, 15:00   #1
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quake Wars to have in-game ads

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/06..._in-game_ads/1

The gloriously gorgeous and highly anticipated Enemy Territory: Quake Wars will have a bit of a surprise - in-game advertising.

Old 21st Jun 2007, 15:15   #2
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
not an issue AFAIC it just adds to the realism of the game if done correctly, and cuts down costs to the end user
Old 21st Jun 2007, 15:20   #3
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I seem to recall some shenanigans with some advertising in that game.. what was it called now.. Battle.. Field.. something or other, no it's gone, sorry.
Old 21st Jun 2007, 15:30   #4
Wez Weasel
What's a Dremel?

Wez Weasel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I had every store in the local area, put up a sign about in game advertising that you had to agree to in Battlefield 2142.....and I plan to do the same with this game as well.

60 bucks for the game for the end user.

hundreds of thousands of dollars for EACH ad a company wants in the game PER COMPANY.

make the game 20 bucks with in game ads, and we will talk.
Old 21st Jun 2007, 15:30   #5
Hugo.B
Supermodder

Hugo.B has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would like to see advertising in a game where it would be seen IRL.
If they can do that, using real companies and making a profit, is what they'll be doing, why, so much the better.

Last edited by Hugo.B; 21st Jun 2007 at 15:41.
Hugo.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2007, 15:41   #6
Wez Weasel
What's a Dremel?

The only thing is, where is this game taking place? What year is it supposed to be?

If it was set in todays time and the ads were current, then maybe (even though I don't support ANY advertisements for real products in games), if it was in a sports game where every inch is crawling with an ad, then fine because THATS real.

But putting in game ads, into games that are set in the future is like putting a pizza hut into the middle of WOW. It doesn't belong there. For example, the wars take place on some world way out of our soler system in the year 3000, Do you want to believe that Starbucks and Toyota have 1. Been around that long and 2. Relocated on some alien world?

From the moment you wake up, to the moment you lay yer head down, you are being subjected with ads.

PC games and the like, should be worlds onto there own, they should be a fantasy, and have very little tie with reality. After all, most play games to get away for awhile and do things they cant do in real life....agreed?
Old 21st Jun 2007, 15:44   #7
The_Head
Minimodder

The_Head has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The thing I don't understand is why have the game need to know how long you look at the adverts for?
There's nothing like this in magazines, tv programs, out in public.
So why have it in games where people are only going to worry that it is spyware and invading their privacy?
The_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2007, 15:44   #8
Hugo.B
Supermodder

Hugo.B has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
The only thing is, where is this game taking place? What year is it supposed to be?
Good point, ET:QW is c.50 years into the future, so what kind of ads would they need to be realistic?
Intriguing.
Quote:
why have the game need to know how long you look at the adverts for?
The official reason would likely be to measure their effectiveness.

Hugo.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2007, 15:44   #9
AlexB
Web Nerd and WC Addict

AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez Weasel
I had every store in the local area, put up a sign about in game advertising that you had to agree to in Battlefield 2142.....and I plan to do the same with this game as well.

60 bucks for the game for the end user.

hundreds of thousands of dollars for EACH ad a company wants in the game PER COMPANY.

make the game 20 bucks with in game ads, and we will talk.
Agree
Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had before I blacked out; that thick smell of asphalt. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached. I shoulda've known then that things were never that simple. Yeah, when I think of Maureen, I think of two things: Asphalt, and trouble.
1: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, AMD 7970 (3gb), Corsair 256gb SSD
2: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, Nvidia 680GTX (4gb)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2007, 15:51   #10
Wez Weasel
What's a Dremel?

"cuts down costs to the end user" ?!?! Huh? if that was the case, Quake Wars would be 20 bucks, not the 49.95 and up range.

I have yet to see any of the costs go down on any of the games with in game ads. The only time I see them go down, is when they dont sell well, or they are marked down because of how old they are. BF2142 at Best Buy is 30 bucks... still way to much for that buggy piece of software, and THAT had in game adds.....what happened there, where is my End User break on that?
Old 21st Jun 2007, 15:54   #11
Wez Weasel
What's a Dremel?

Heres the part I love thoe

"The company providing the ad system does not and will not store any personal information or data that otherwise can be used to identify you. All they track is if and how long you look at the advertisements."

Ok, so wait, its not going to store any personal data, but they are going to track how long I look at the advertisements? Ok, you have thousands of players playing on any server at a time, are you telling me nothing is stored for review and that you have someone watching EVERY player to see what they look at in real time? because in order to see who's looking at what ads and for how long, you need some type of IDENTIFICATION, and more so then not, its going to be MY PERSONAL IP address. That can be used to.... all together now... IDENTIFY ME...
Old 21st Jun 2007, 15:55   #12
airchie
Mod Master

airchie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If the ads aren't big flashing mostrosities that stick out like sore thumbs then I'll ignore them in the same way I ignore all other advertising.

If the end-user sees benefits from it then I'm not so bothered.
If the ad revenue just lines some fat-cat's pockets then I object.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralwandrer
Being a legitimate customer of the games industry is increasingly like being in a relationship with an abusive spouse.
airchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2007, 16:02   #13
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Earth 2060
you think Coke and the like wont be around in 50 years?

Quote:
"cuts down costs to the end user" ?!?! Huh? if that was the case, Quake Wars would be 20 bucks, not the 49.95 and up range.
RTFA, advertising revenue is supposed to be for server upkeep and to pay for continuing support
Quote:
Ok, so wait, its not going to store any personal data, but they are going to track how long I look at the advertisements? Ok, you have thousands of players playing on any server at a time, are you telling me nothing is stored for review and that you have someone watching EVERY player to see what they look at in real time? because in order to see who's looking at what ads and for how long, you need some type of IDENTIFICATION, and more so then not, its going to be MY PERSONAL IP address. That can be used to.... all together now... IDENTIFY ME...
i like your tinfoil hat, where did you get it?

in the end it all comes down to exactly how the ads are implemented
if they stick out and it looks **** then its bad
if they blend in with the environment then fine, great in fact
adds to the immersion factor and gets SD some extra cash, fine by me
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2007, 16:17   #14
Wez Weasel
What's a Dremel?

(grins) that tin foil hat has come in handy a few times in my life.

"Earth 2060 you think Coke and the like wont be around in 50 years?" I'd like to think not, we are already seeing the death rattle of the Tobacco industry, and up till about 10 years ago the billboards were everywhere. So who's to say a name sake like Coke or Pepsi, or anything like that will last?

"RTFA, advertising revenue is supposed to be for server upkeep and to pay for continuing support" "SUPPOSED" being a key word.... have you played BF2142?
Old 21st Jun 2007, 16:29   #15
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
the more effective way to advertise is to not be noticed at all, your subconscious will notice it and influence your conscious choices.
anyway i want it to be a little cheaper than a usual game, these ads will give far more money than it costs for servers and support.
and i wont like it if they fill my internet truck with spam that will go into the game and lag it to hell.
Old 21st Jun 2007, 16:41   #16
chrisb2e9
Dont do that...

chrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysis
Quote:

"Earth 2060 you think Coke and the like wont be around in 50 years?" I'd like to think not, we are already seeing the death rattle of the Tobacco industry, and up till about 10 years ago the billboards were everywhere. So who's to say a name sake like Coke or Pepsi, or anything like that will last?

BF2142?
Last I checked coke doesn't cause cancer. unless you drink 10 liters a day but in that case I think you would deserve cancer to end your sad life. its like adding chlorine to the gene pool.
chrisb2e9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2007, 16:49   #17
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:

"RTFA, advertising revenue is supposed to be for server upkeep and to pay for continuing support" "SUPPOSED" being a key word.... have you played BF2142?
i think its quite likely that huge names like Coke will still be around in 50 years so having coke adverts in QW wouldnt look out of place
assuming they're created in such a way as to fit in with the environment, obviously shiny new billboards that look like they were put up yesterday dont fit in with a warzone being invaded by aliens

i havent played 2142, i played bf2 and based on that experience decided not to buy 2142

and EA are not SD :P
i have much more faith in SD getting ingame ads right than EA
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2007, 16:54   #18
Wez Weasel
What's a Dremel?

"Last I checked coke doesn't cause cancer. unless you drink 10 liters a day but in that case I think you would deserve cancer to end your sad life. its like adding chlorine to the gene pool."

I meant it as a example of the fall of a Advertising Giant. Who's to say that they wont find some health reason (in todays world, I wouldn't think there is not going to be someone bringing up Something about it, everyone so legal action happy) to bring about a change against sodas or really anything "unhealthy" for that matter.

Last edited by Wez Weasel; 21st Jun 2007 at 17:05. Reason: Needed to add a quote
Wez Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2007, 17:00   #19
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish
RTFA, advertising revenue is supposed to be for server upkeep and to pay for continuing support
Umm, up untill now the world has managed to pay for continued support (which I might add, in previous years was far superior for most games imo) for games out of the cash that we paid for the video games themselves. And why would we need server support? There are thousands of individuals willing to host public and clan servers.

The excuse that IGA is required for servers and continued support is totaly bull****. IGA is required for one purpose and one purpose alone, to increase profits at the expense of the users experience.
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2007, 17:01   #20
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Most servers used to be independantly owned and were rented out.

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote