1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD 45nm CPUs expected 2H08

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Jun 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

It'll be interesting when they finally bring something out that can compete with C2D! ;)

3. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

Very interesting...
    That's a helluva leap, process-wise from AMD (and IBM I guess) - they must be looking to tape out 45nm chips pretty soon to hit that timeframe...
    Providing this goes according to plan, it should bring AMD back into the running in both price, and performance per Watt.
    If AMD's Fusion GPU-CPU initiative also goes to plan, then things should really be looking up for them!

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well fusion will be a progression: first of all it'll be two discrete units on the same die, with basic interlinking to reduce latency by a whole load, just like the integrated memory controller. Next they'll use common features and finally they'll become just a single entity: a CPU that does GPU or GPU that does CPU.

5. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

- So probably just HT or on-die PCIe links to start with then...
    I thought they were heading more towards having the GPU as a seperate core alongside x86 cores: I didn't think that the requirements of running x86 code and GPU code were similar enough to fully combine them..?
    - Otherwise, I would've expected to see something moving in this direction sooner..?

6. 2JSC

2JSC What's a Dremel?

With a CPU/GPU combo chip... does this mean you won't need a seperate GPU card?

I'm really hoping for AMD to pull something sweet out by the end of this year, it half over and nothing spectacular has come out yet.

7. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Short for AMD. This will be interesting.
    Traditionally AMD has always been a process shrink behind and still faster. I don't think gaps like this are anything to worry about.

8. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

^^I agree Ramble. AMD has always been right behind Intel and their CPUs have usually out-performed Intel's, so I, too, don't think there's too much to worry about...

9. potoguise2

potoguise2 What's a Dremel?

amd relaxed with the gain they achieve for too long, now intel outpaced them, so they will have to redouble their effort to stay competitive.
    i'm awaiting their native quadcore chips so i can upgrade from my present 4400x2 athlon

10. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I expect HT, because PCI-E is handled by the NB and not the processor, the processor only has an HT link

i agree, it seems a bit odd, i mean, with a combined solution the processor is more expensive, and the GFX is not upgradable as easily
    so to upgrade 1, your talking about a much larger cost increase, plus often upgrading a proc is made worse due to new socket complications

Tags: Add Tags