1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Take-Two and Thompson at blows again?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jun 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

I suppose in the ever democratic and free lands of the US of A, you're entitled to speak your mind as per their consititution. But who is Jack Thompson to make judgments for other people?

Parents should ['should' being the key word!] make the judgements for their own kids and people over the age of <whatever constitutes being an adult in whichever US state> should be allowed to decide for themselves on these matters.

It really bothers me to think that various people or groups think they have some moral obligation to 'censor' others from whatever material they [the moralists] deem unfit.

Jack -- just give it a rest. Voice your opinion, fine. But let people make their own decisions. They don't need you trying to get things banned for them. If they don't want it, they won't buy it.

3. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

As much as I hate the bugger, I can't fault him on this one. He seems to have found a loophole in the agreement he signed. If it did not explicitly say that he could not contact Government officials, then unfortunately there's nothing they can really do. Unless he is defamatory in his letters, they might be able to get him on some sort of defamation charge.

Of course, they could always attempt to have the agreement expanded. Or cancel it altogether, and finally get his ass disbarred.

Then Jack could go and open a hot dog stand with that guy who sued his drycleaner for 64million for losing his pants!

I think they'd make a good couple. ;)

4. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

yea, I don't see how he's in breach of the agreement if the only restriction was 'companies that Take-Two does business with' ... unless there's some other legalese in the agreement that we don't know about?

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

when will this guy quit?

6. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

to be honest, I dont think he ever will!

7. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Cant blame Take Two for being spiteful, cant imagine how much BS they had to go through on a count of this complete jackass.

8. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

they cut him some slack and now he does this

bah, they should have just got rid of the guy when they had the chance, hes an ass, the game isn't even going to hit the shelves and hes bashing it

gtfo jack, crawl back in your hole (which he seemed to disappear into for the last few months, ahh peaceful times)

9. 2JSC

2JSC What's a Dremel?

Jack Thompson needs to be shot... sorry but I just hate him.

10. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Comments like that just reinforce his arguments.

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

To all the people that are moaning about Jack Thomspon, do you even understand what his campaign is for?

12. completemadness

correct me if I'm wrong

but his campaign is to remove violence from video games / remove violent video games

either way he is trying to stop people from playing violent video games because people under the age rating may get hold of them

however, as has been discussed i don't know how many times, it is the parents responsibility to do this
    The rest of us shouldn't have to lose our violent (and fun) games because some kids might get hold of them

13. DougEdey

No. That's a common misconception because of his attitude and bad reporting. What he wants is for a legally enforced rating system like we have in the UK. Games which are rated 15 or 18 over here cannot by law be sold to anyone under that age, the retailer faces prosecution if caught. In the US at the moment it's a voluntary system and shop keepers are obviously going to want to make as much money as humanly possible.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the great problem is the way he does that, saying that people that play violent games will become rapists and mass murderers.

15. completemadness

over here ESRB rated games are not legally enforcable, only the BBFC games can be legally enforced, I thought the americans had a similar system ?

and even then its not like its worth while because even in the UK parents just buy games for their kids without any knollege and completly ignoring the rating anyway
    That is very true

16. DougEdey

That's why I said 15 or 18 rated games, BBFC only affects 15 or 18 games.

No, they have a voluntary only system, as I said.

17. completemadness

And they only effect games rated by the BBFC, not all 15/18's are BBFC rated

Oh right

But as i said its not like an involuntary system works either because even in Britain where they are enforceable, parents will just buy the game without knowledge anyway, or of course you can order off the Internet and fake your age anyway

18. DougEdey

No, but it does limit them, and if Social Services do have the right if so required to use it against parents to remove a child from their custody.

Also, the PEGI ratings in the UK are labelled as 16+ and 18+, PEGI is also carried out by the coder, games which are found to be marked 16+ or 18+ (even some marked 12+) are automatically rated by the BBFC as well.

Spot checks are made by the BBFC on developers as well.

19. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

Well, either i have been reading some particularly jarred accounts about JT or i am missing the point but i have never read an article whereby he has been trying to legally enforce the rating system. This could be due to the fact that i have only ever read articles from the gamer's point of view so the neutrality of the article may be disputed.

I'm pretty certain that his original policy was claiming that violent FPS games were being used as murder simulators and attributing several violent games to gun cases and murders in America. A key quote of his: “Murder simulators are not constitutionally protected speech. They’re not even speech. They’re dangerous physical appliances that teach a kid how to kill efficiently and to love it,”

I also remember reading several bits where he claimed that on the Sims2; a cheat where you can remove the shower when kids were in it (something like that) ,was being utilized by paedophiles to practice their molesting methods. There are tonnes of funny/useless/irritating information like this about JT, which highlights to me that things have become personal between R* and Take-Two and that he will perpetually argue with them to prevent the release of the games or to delay them.

Tags: Add Tags