bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Tech Support

Old 30th Jun 2007, 06:21   #1
LightingBird
Multimodder

LightingBird has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Laptop slow boot up at startup... help please

Ok... Now I have very limited things that are on my start up list. This just started happening about a month ago. I've guess I gave up and have just been dealing with the problem. When I boot up my laptop. Once it gets past the windows xp screen it loads up the blue screen where you log in. After I'm past that... My desktop background comes up and I have to sit for about two minutes before I get loaded into the desktop. Its driving me crazy!

I've tried the following with no success.

1. Checked the start up list and only have 3 things on boot up.
2. Ran a adaware check.
3. Did a system restore.
4. Performed a defrag.

No luck, no love... any help
LightingBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2007, 06:44   #2
Gravemind123

Gravemind123 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What are those 3 things? It seems pretty extensive for 3 things to take 2 minutes, but if they are all anti-spyware/anti-virus it can take them forever to start up(Norton and Spysweeper come to mind as really slow). What are the stats of your laptop? If you don't have sufficient ram then that might be why.

Dell XPS M1330 - T8300 - 4GB Ram - 8400M GS - 250GB HDD
Gravemind123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2007, 16:59   #3
TheVoice
Multimodder

TheVoice has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
To be honest, when Windows starts getting slow like that I tend to find that the only real cure is to wipe it clean and start again. Not what you want to hear, I know, but having fiddled around with all sorts of settings etc before, a clean install always seems to become most beneficial.
TheVoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2007, 18:32   #4
Computer Gremlin
Multimodder

Computer Gremlin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Before re-installing Windows defrag the boot files. At the Command Prompt type in "defrag C: -b"*. It can take up to a couple minutes depending on your computer speed and amount of fragmentation. This fixes a delayed Start button and slow boot-up problems.

*Start->Run... cmd
C:\Documents and Settings\You>defrag C: -b
Computer Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2007, 14:33   #5
ckrieger
Minimodder

ckrieger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Besides your startup list, try checking your services...Start > Run > services.msc

Anything that is not crucial to what you do, set to manual or disable from starting up. If you have apache or some kind of web server, a couple anti-virus programs or things of the like, set the services for them to manual and then try another reboot. See if that doesn't fix things.

Hope this helps!
ckrieger
ckrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2007, 07:19   #6
mrlanrat
Multimodder

mrlanrat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Whenever that happens i recommend this tool. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../Autoruns.mspx it shows you EVERYTHING that runs when you boot your computer. just don't delete any startup programs if you don't know what they are. the section that you want to look at is the "logon" tab. everything in that tab runs after you log in.
mrlanrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2007, 11:41   #7
herbs
Nobody but us chickens

herbs has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
There is a programme called bootvis which will run and tells you how long each application and driver takes to load up so you can see which is takeing the time. I have used it a few times and it comes in rather handy in these sort of problems.

A police recruit was asked during the exam, "What would you do if you had to arrest your own mother?" He said, "Call for backup."

"you could have it all, my empire of dirt, I will let you down, I will make you hurt"
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2007, 16:16   #8
mrlanrat
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbs View Post
There is a programme called bootvis which will run and tells you how long each application and driver takes to load up so you can see which is takeing the time. I have used it a few times and it comes in rather handy in these sort of problems.
Nice program, iv never herd of it before, thanks.
Old 6th Jul 2007, 19:27   #9
AJB2K3
I *am* a Dremel

AJB2K3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I hope you get it sorted because ive just brought a new laptop and its running vista WTF its noware near powerful enough to run that, and initial boot is slower then an old man on the hiway/moterway.

AJB2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2007, 19:47   #10
mrlanrat
Multimodder

my vista laptop was like that when i first got it. I did a clean reinstall of the os from my own DVD. not the one your manufacture gives you. it got rid of all the unwanted (for me) crapware and such. and it runs way faster. the only inconvenience is that you need to reinstall the drivers yourself. which for me mend just downloading afile off the ned and clicking install.
Old 6th Jul 2007, 20:30   #11
AJB2K3
I *am* a Dremel

I just need to install linux but i cant find any information on the laptop.

Old 7th Jul 2007, 02:07   #12
Golygus
Hypermodder

Golygus has yet to learn the way of the DremelGolygus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This has been stated, But are you running something like norton?

How much RAM have you got?

Check in task manager how many processes you have running. A heathly install of XP should ahve less than 35 (40 if you have something like norton installed, tho I'd suggest removing it if you do).

The are loads of programs to tell you start up info. If you don't want to downlaod any, run the "msconfig" utility from the run box from the start menu - it does show everything, but it has a fair few.
Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.8GHz | Akasa Nero S | 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 | Gigabyte GA-x58A-UD3R r2 | Gigabyte GTX770 OC 2GB | SB X-Fi Extreme Gamer | OCZ 120GB RevoDrive, 2 x 1TB WD 1002FAEX | 2 x Samsung SH-S223B DVD+RW | Corsair HX620W PSU | Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Canon EOS 7D | Canon EFS 17-55 f2.8 IS USM | Canon EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM | 2 x Canon Speedlight 550EX
Golygus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2007, 18:07   #13
AJB2K3
I *am* a Dremel

If anyone is interested i formatted my brand new Acer Aspire 3690 WLMi and after a bit of work its now 85% working including on board wireless.
However i have a couple more things to sort out
1, card reader wont read MSDP so having to connect psp for that.
2 Media keys not working but thats because i need to install the acerhk driver.

In closing I just want to say, for £350 + 24 hrs trying to understand complicated docs the Acer is a good linux laptop.

Old 4th Apr 2011, 13:07   #14
mikeb1
What's a Dremel?

mikeb1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlanrat View Post
Whenever that happens i recommend this tool. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../Autoruns.mspx it shows you EVERYTHING that runs when you boot your computer. just don't delete any startup programs if you don't know what they are. the section that you want to look at is the "logon" tab. everything in that tab runs after you log in.
Thanks for this I have downloaded this program as I am having same start up problems.
But not sure what I do now, is it a case of restarting my laptop and seeing what happens ?

Mike.
mikeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 17:30   #15
LightingBird
Multimodder

LightingBird has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
[QUOTE=antivirus;2970651]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do good
hi can you try to use the supper utilities in here there are options for improving your computer performance..i hope this help you..thanks
Why are you responding to a post that is five years old? Ha

I solved this a long time ago.
LightingBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2012, 17:47   #16
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Reported.
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote