bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Jul 2007, 12:16   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
80GB PS3 has 'limited backwards compatibility'

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/07...rds_compatib/1

The new 80GB flavour of the PlayStation 3 is confirmed to have 'limited backwards compatibility' thanks to a switch to the European software BC mode.

Old 10th Jul 2007, 13:22   #2
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
link to forum does not work.

Anyway, this has basicly already been covered. The european ps3's had the chip removed to go with the software they originally were going to use what wasnt ready for USA launch. So it was ready and we get the PS3 with software only and not the chip. It would then be asumed that the chip would be fazed out of the USA PS3's which looks like they are with the 80Gb models.

To me this is not news and is just part of what they have already been doing.

Quote:
What it hasn't been so quick to announce to PlayStation fanboys
Dont you mean "what it hasnt been quick to announce to Playstation haters that want to slate Sony is...."

Why is everyone that wants a Playstation called a Fanboy, Stop using the word fanboy and use the word consumer.

Last edited by mikeuk2004; 10th Jul 2007 at 16:52.
mikeuk2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2007, 13:44   #3
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
the problem is that one of the things that Sony feeds the customer is that all of its consoles are always backwards compatible, most of my friends think that the ps3 will play every PS and PS2 game and call me a fool when i try to explain them the truth.
and i loled at the scooter racing picture.

edit: link in the article not working!
edit: werking now

Last edited by DXR_13KE; 10th Jul 2007 at 19:08.
DXR_13KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2007, 19:09   #4
EQC
Multimodder

EQC has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Anybody want to find the actual facts on this? Before overblowing the term "limited backwards compatibility," shouldn't we look up what percentage of older games that are backwards compatible in the current European version? According to a quick internet search, even the hardware emulation was "only" advertised as 98% backwards compatibility...so you could never expect *every* old game to work.

IIRC, the EU PS3 is MUCH more backwards compatible than the 360 is, and both are using software to do it. And, with firmware updates, the software emulation has the potential to get better.

A quick look at this website may be of interest: http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc/

-- all the titles they list there are PS1 and PS2 games that should play on the PS3 -- most with "no issues," some with "minor issues," and some are "playable, but with noticeable issues"

can anybody tell if that site lists EVERY old game...or if they're just listing the ones that work? If they are listing every game, it looks pretty decent to me.
EQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2007, 19:12   #5
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It lists almost all, but surprisingly (for me) FF7 doesn't work 100%

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2007, 21:02   #6
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by EQC View Post
IIRC, the EU PS3 is MUCH more backwards compatible than the 360 is, and both are using software to do it. And, with firmware updates, the software emulation has the potential to get better.
Sortware emulation backwards compatibility is absolute crap, as both consoles have shown. Yes, you can update it, but my experience of the 360's emulation is just to not bother, if you have an Xbox, play it on that, and MS have had a dedicated team working on it for a very long time, so I'd hate to think what the PS3's is like.

IMO, if you're not gonna bother with hardware backwards compatibility, just don't bother at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2007, 21:14   #7
DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
if you are gonna bother with backwards compatibility then buy the old console on ebay or somewhere else..... and most of the time it works better.

and don't say like "why 10 devices under your TV if you can have 1" because i will say to you "if you have only 1 device that does all of the work, what will happen when that device stops working?".
Old 10th Jul 2007, 22:03   #8
EQC
Multimodder

EQC has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veles View Post
Sortware emulation backwards compatibility is absolute crap, as both consoles have shown...my experience of the 360's emulation is just to not bother, if you have an Xbox, play it on that, and MS have had a dedicated team working on it for a very long time, so I'd hate to think what the PS3's is like.

IMO, if you're not gonna bother with hardware backwards compatibility, just don't bother at all.
You said "both consoles" there, but only have evidence from the 360. Who's to say Sony doesn't have a dedicated team working on software backwards compatibility? And who's to say that Microsoft's team is doing much of anything? There are still new PS2 games coming out...when was the last time a regular XBox game came out? I think Sony has a bigger motivation to support backwards compatibility than does Microsoft -- and I think this is evidenced by the fact that Sony initially put the hardware for BC in there in the first place...and they're phasing out the hardware now, perhaps indicating they've got a good handle on Software BC.

I don't know either way...but it seems like all the bashing about this around the web is mainly based on the 360's poor performance at Software BC. But the companies and the consoles involved are completely different animals... Anybody here have experience with the Software BC of the PS3? Anybody find a site that lists the percentage of PS1/2 titles that work on the PS3 with Software BC? Anybody have a *real* good comparison of BC between the 360 and PS3?

That site I listed earlier seems to indicate many many games work just fine under Software BC on the PS3, and more work but with a few issues.
EQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2007, 23:22   #9
DXR_13KE

i think it is stupid to buy a current gen console to play last gen games....... but thats me.
Old 10th Jul 2007, 23:41   #10
KMS-oul
You think you know me.

KMS-oul has yet to learn the way of the DremelKMS-oul has yet to learn the way of the DremelKMS-oul has yet to learn the way of the DremelKMS-oul has yet to learn the way of the DremelKMS-oul has yet to learn the way of the DremelKMS-oul has yet to learn the way of the DremelKMS-oul has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE View Post
i think it is stupid to buy a current gen console to play last gen games....... but thats me.
I don't agree.

With the relability of some consoles like the 360 people are going to be left with a pile of games with nothing to play them on in the future. I still play my snes from time to time. If the snes was as reliable as the 360 and the PS2 then mine would have been dead long ago. Thats why I think BC is important.
KMS-oul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2007, 00:53   #11
Spaceraver
Ultramodder

Spaceraver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
NES anyone?? Or even the good old non colour GB is more sturdy than any console on the market.. That said, ill never buy another console unless i really have to.
Spaceraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2007, 10:27   #12
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I love BC if its possible, I can live without it if it isn't. Being able to play original burnout on a 360 is just a great reason to sell the original xbox and get some games cash.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2007, 17:16   #13
devdevil85
Hypermodder

devdevil85 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Joe, you hit it on the head, with me atleast. BC is something I love, but I can live without it if it's really THAT big of a deal. Of course with the PS3 BC isn't really that big of an issue with atleast 80% of all PS1/PS2 games working in software emulation, so honestly I would almost come to expect it, but again it's not THAT big of a deal. I do like the idea of being able to sell my old consoles for some cash to help ease the financial hit of buying a new expensive console.
devdevil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2007, 17:20   #14
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
For once, we agree DevDevil.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2007, 20:46   #15
devdevil85
Hypermodder

devdevil85 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
For once, we agree DevDevil.
Don't expect too many of these though! hehe jk I liked your statement about how PC's are better than consoles. Another thing we both agree on.
devdevil85 is offline   Reply With Quote