bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 17th Jul 2007, 17:49   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Windows Home Server goes RTM

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/07...ver_goes_rtm/1

Microsoft has announced that Windows Home Server has been released to manufacturing. Systems will ship with the OS installed by October.

Old 17th Jul 2007, 17:53   #2
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think i'll stick with my Debian stable box, its called that for a reason
Old 17th Jul 2007, 17:56   #3
jezmck
I Mod, Therefore I Own

jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Does anyone know whether we will be able to buy it OEM, and if so, how much?
Old 17th Jul 2007, 17:57   #4
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzle View Post
Does anyone know whether we will be able to buy it OEM, and if so, how much?
In the article

There has been no announcement made on when the operating system will be made available to end-users so that they can use Windows Home Server without the need to buy a whole new PC. However, Sider stated that there will be an evaluation edition available that will time out after 120 days – this is typical of Microsoft’s evaluation software.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 18:07   #5
jezmck
I Mod, Therefore I Own

jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S View Post
In the article ...
Boo, I scanned for a pound-sign (that's a '£' dear US readers) and saw none.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 18:24   #6
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
I tried the beta, wasn't that bad
Old 17th Jul 2007, 19:08   #7
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7854 View Post
I tried the beta, wasn't that bad
Good to hear. I was in the beta program and downloaded it, but never got a chance to install it since my XP+Samba shares setup works fine. I'm quite tempted to buy a dedicated NAS box (Infrant ReadyNAS probably) and have been for a while, but all that would get me is a smaller formfactor and AFP shares for the most part (and OS X plays fine with Samba, though NTFS doesn't like some of its naming conventions) which isn't _really_ worth $650+ for me right now. Sure, it's got RAID and all that good stuff as well, but I'm undecided if the cost of the extra hard drive is really worth the extra peace of mind considering I'm now good about backing stuff up that I actually care about.

Of course, the only real reason I'd bother with Windows Home Server is if it allows a filesystem that isn't as restrictive as NTFS (ie, plays better with Macs), otherwise it makes little sense for me to not just keep my setup that works fine right now or go for a dedicated box with a couple more features.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2007, 19:54   #8
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Sider
...and killed off the last few bugs.
Really, has this guy learnt nothing from every MS release...?!
As with most other people, I'll wait and see what the price is, but my Ubuntu box is playing quite happily at the moment.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 20:14   #9
sam.g.taylor
Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

sam.g.taylor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wait a minute, are you sure this isn't a hoax?

"simplicity" and "outstanding" have rarely (never?) been associated with modern Windows releases...
Old 17th Jul 2007, 21:14   #10
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
just an attempt to take over the server market.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2007, 22:47   #11
Spaceraver
Ultramodder

Spaceraver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
and a truely fragile one to say the least. I followed Glider's server guide and it is stable as hell, doesn't chew up resources as if there is no tomorrow and runs fine and dandy even with me logged in locally on X. (old amd 1ghz lappy with 256mb ram) were i to put together a server using a microsoft OS, it would be chugging alone at a snails pace..
Spaceraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2007, 22:48   #12
C-Sniper
Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
im sticking to linux since i only need a 500mhz processor to run everything with 128mb memory
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz View Post
hmm you seem to know a lot about guys.. I was wondering- if I put a piece of plywood down my pants, would that be enough to protect me from rear attacks.. like in a circus bathroom or high scale restaurant
C-Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2007, 23:02   #13
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
linux server for me please.....
Old 18th Jul 2007, 05:57   #14
Sparrowhawk
Wetsander

Sparrowhawk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Linux indeed.
Though, I have to wonder, if this is RTM, does that mean we can expect it to be pirated soon?
/Pirated in 3.. 2... 1...
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2007, 12:55   #15
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
what driver model does it use server 2003 i guess how readily availible are these drivers for new motherboards
Old 20th Jul 2007, 03:16   #16
completemadness
Hypermodder

completemadness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ill stick with Ubuntu Server - tyvm microsoft

Although id be interested to see if you can start picking up 1U/2U boxes for home use
Quote:
Sider said that simplicity was the key here – his team was very conservative on the feature set and that helped to prevent things from taking endless amounts of development time.
So basically they decided to put f*ck all in it
completemadness is offline   Reply With Quote