bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Jul 2007, 12:14   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Microsoft patents seriously bad adware

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/07...ly_bad_adwar/1

You thought Vista was already pretty bad having dozens of services secretly calling home? How about an advertising framework that uses contextual data from your PC? This new patent from Microsoft could make things a whole lot worse.

Old 18th Jul 2007, 12:15   #2
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
That's insane. I could understand it if they did this to people using non-genuine copies, or offered windows for free if yuo want to have this adware crap, but if they're going to force that on normal, genuine installations, then that's a huge mistake. I hope they're just patenting it to stop other adware companies doing it
Old 18th Jul 2007, 12:21   #3
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've suspected this for a while, ever since I saw Microsoft advertising for advertisers. Basically it was saying that they wanted to advertise inside peoples homes.

Originally I thought it was just MSN/Live stuff. But no I think different. I'll try and find a picture of the original advert

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2007, 12:32   #4
Leitchy
Supermodder

Leitchy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If this did happen, especially to paying customers, then all it would do is drive people to illegal cracked "non snooping" Windows Software. So wouldn't be a good move for Microsoft. On the other hand, if it was targeted as a free windows release with marketing bumf then that seems to be fair enough.
Leitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2007, 12:39   #5
Dr. Strangelove
Supermodder

Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
if this happens I will move to linux faster than you can say "built-in adware no thanks"
Old 18th Jul 2007, 12:52   #6
shaq
What's a Dremel?

shaq has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
if this happens I will move to linux faster than you can say "built-in adware no thanks"
Why wait?
shaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2007, 12:53   #7
mmorgue
Supermodder

mmorgue has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As much as I am for supporting legitimate, officially purchased software, hearing about something like this means I'm only going to be more for pirating a futures version of M$ software that's been "fixed" rather than give them my money for service-hogging adware.

/sigh

Last edited by mmorgue; 18th Jul 2007 at 12:59.
mmorgue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2007, 12:57   #8
ChromeX
I *am* a Dremel

ChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing!!
ChromeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2007, 12:59   #9
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
i think i will wait for MS's response..... there is no way they are doing this without loosing lots of customers....

edit: i think this is a strategic time to make a OS making company....
Old 18th Jul 2007, 13:04   #10
Hiren
mind control

Hiren is definitely a rep cheat.Hiren is definitely a rep cheat.Hiren is definitely a rep cheat.Hiren is definitely a rep cheat.Hiren is definitely a rep cheat.Hiren is definitely a rep cheat.Hiren is definitely a rep cheat.Hiren is definitely a rep cheat.Hiren is definitely a rep cheat.Hiren is definitely a rep cheat.Hiren is definitely a rep cheat.
Just because it's a patent doesn't mean it's going to happen. Perhaps it will be used for a low cost version of Windows for developing countries? Stil perhaps not the best way forward.
Old 18th Jul 2007, 13:18   #11
BioSniper
I Mod, Therefore I Own

BioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTT View Post
I hope they're just patenting it to stop other adware companies doing it
QFT.
Though is MS REALLY that nice to consumers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
Frankly this thread has become a bunch of methed up old women in a hat store.
BioSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2007, 13:21   #12
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I was thinking of actually buying Vista Premium as its only £65 OEM. Now I dont think so, as im playing less on Pc now as I cant afford to keep up.

I think a OS swap will be ideal for me if my vid editing programs and paint shop pro work on another Os, then ill swap as thats all I do now on PC and shop.
Old 18th Jul 2007, 13:37   #13
BlueDemon
Modder

BlueDemon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I am truly amazed that anyone is surprised by this latest move towards a complete erosion of privacy and a total blanketing by advertising. It is perfectly in line with the course that MS have been sailing the last decade, helped along by unsuspecting people who blindly use their "user-friendly" aka tracker-friendly Passport login for just about every web-related activity. Has there been ANY inquiry as to what MS does right now with the data they gather from monitoring Passport/MSN activity?
This new scheme to mass-harvest private data is simply the next logical step. Maybe it's time to shop around for a nice Linux distro...
Old 18th Jul 2007, 13:59   #14
MonkeyNutZ
Crysis Fiend

MonkeyNutZ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yay for XP/2000
MonkeyNutZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2007, 14:19   #15
Dr. Strangelove
Supermodder

Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaq View Post
Why wait?
Simple I can't be bothered to learn Linux atm. But if MS pulls a stunt like that I will find a whole new reserve of motivation to change.
Old 18th Jul 2007, 14:30   #16
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The reason Linux doesn't need to advertise is that MS does it for them! Long live the penguin!
Old 18th Jul 2007, 14:35   #17
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Well, time to switch to Mac
Old 18th Jul 2007, 14:41   #18
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
nha, that will never happen... I'm actually glad that MS patent this idea, and not some spam maker company.
I remember MS also registered a patent of a TV with a camera on it that looks if the user eyes are actually watching the advertisement, else the ad will repeat. Moreover, it will ask several questions about each at, at the end of them. If the user answer wrong, the ad will repeat.

Up to now, I don't see them making TV's...

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2007, 15:27   #19
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7854 View Post
Well, time to switch to Mac
ditto...

i play games less n less... i dont see any other solid reason to keep me with M$. i kno its only a patent, i dunno what they'r doing with it, but if they (if ever) decided to implement such feature (i cant find any other non-profanity word) in Vista which i paid $200 for......

...well lets just say i have to come out of my retirement n back to my ****** group in IRC....
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - Zotac GTX 970 - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2007, 15:42   #20
chrisb2e9
Dont do that...

chrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysis
thank god I happen to like xp. but I still have to wonder how hard it is to do a dual boot with linux.