bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Jul 2007, 16:01   #1
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
AMD says "No more price cuts."

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/07...e_price_cuts/1

Are you looking forward to the new Intel price cuts happening on the 22nd? Yeah, we thought so - but don't look for more from AMD just yet.

Old 18th Jul 2007, 16:28   #2
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I was anticipating some more price slashings in a few weeks time. I couldn't have been more wrong .

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2007, 17:45   #3
xion
Multimodder

xion has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really hope AMD can maintain enough market share to remain financially viable, the last thing we need is for Intel to have complete market dominance; why lower prices when there's no competition?
Old 18th Jul 2007, 18:00   #4
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
the last thing we need is for Intel to have complete market dominance; why lower prices when there's no competition?
now that would really suck
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2007, 18:39   #5
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
AMD prices are already low, but I was anticipating a price cut as well. Intel are really cutting themselves and they're cutting way above their knees. They surely are winning, I think.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2007, 18:44   #6
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm glad AMD aren't going mad over this price-war thing, the last thing they need to do now is start panicking - investors/stockholders don't like rash moves, and once the investors/stockholders go, AMD's down the pan. I don't think we need to worry too much, AMD are still in pretty good shape financially, don't forget they still make money from OEM's etc as well as supplying the server market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xion
...the last thing we need is for nVidia to have complete market dominance; why lower prices when there's no competition?
Fixed for the graphics status-quo. Unfortunately I think it's round 1 to nVidia in the DX10 war.
Old 18th Jul 2007, 20:31   #7
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xion View Post
I really hope AMD can maintain enough market share to remain financially viable, the last thing we need is for Intel to have complete market dominance; why lower prices when there's no competition?
QFT. This is why I still buy AMD. Intel may be the current king of the hill, but I still buy AMD even when the chips have less grunt. If people don't buy AMD proccys, Intel will have a monopoly and that won't benefit anyone.

Plus I like AMD. I'm a fanboy, I know. I don't care if they aren't the absolute best, I just feel like I want to stick with AMD.

Old 18th Jul 2007, 21:05   #8
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnPedro View Post
QFT. This is why I still buy AMD. Intel may be the current king of the hill, but I still buy AMD even when the chips have less grunt. If people don't buy AMD proccys, Intel will have a monopoly and that won't benefit anyone.

Plus I like AMD. I'm a fanboy, I know. I don't care if they aren't the absolute best, I just feel like I want to stick with AMD.
If they cannot compete why reward them with irrational buying? There's no incentive for them to improve if people buy the crap they are already producing, if you want to help AMD do not buy their products until they improve their performance/price. Then again it is your money, so do what you like lol :P
Old 18th Jul 2007, 21:10   #9
Kaboom22
Multimodder

Kaboom22 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Slight inacuracy, the nickname Big Blue is attributed to IBM, not intel.
Kaboom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2007, 21:25   #10
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

They cannot improve if they go out of business.

Old 19th Jul 2007, 02:47   #11
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah but likewise they will not improve if people continue to purchase their product, though inferior.
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2007, 04:13   #12
Yraen
What's a Dremel?

Yraen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The article makes it sound like Intel is responding to AMD's price cuts when Intel's price cuts have been known about for months now. It also makes it sound like AMD is the one controlling when price cuts will take place, when all they are doing is what they have been doing for years now; dropping prices right before Intel's price cuts. Everyone seems to think "price war" when this happens and expect prices to be slashed back and forth, but this is the same game we've seen played out the last few years.

The title of the article shouldn't be "AMD says no more price cuts", rather it should be "AMD price cuts are already in effect" or something along those lines. This line; "Of course, if we're honest, Intel needed those cuts to compete with AMD's now nearly ridiculous prices." should have been thought out a little better also. Intel doesn't need those price cuts to compete with AMD's prices, AMD had to lower prices to compete with the cut Intel is about to make.

See here for more information.
Yraen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2007, 08:34   #13
zoot2boot
Multimodder

zoot2boot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"System builders seem to collaborate AMD's statement, saying that they were given several months' notice before the sharp drops on July 9th."

lol, i think he means corroborate.
zoot2boot is offline   Reply With Quote