bit-tech.net

Old 20th Jul 2007, 17:19   #1
scq
Hypermodder

scq has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
[07/07] First POTM Entry

I've joined POTM for a few months now, and here is my first entry. I thought it was grotesquely elegant in the way this tree died. I was speeding down a highway in the Rockies, so I didn't have much time to composite the shot. This was a lucky one out of 2. The other was super blurred.

No post processing aside from contrast/exposure/black adjustments in RAW, and the resize.

Last edited by scq; 20th Jul 2007 at 19:38.
scq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jul 2007, 17:42   #2
charlesbeams
TRANCEFORMer

charlesbeams has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i quite like this
charlesbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jul 2007, 18:48   #3
supermonkey
Deal with it

supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I like this shot. I'm a sucker for black and white, and this image has an Ansel Adams quality to it, in my opinion. I really like the tone in the surrounding trees; they're dark, with just the right amount of highlight. I think this photo would be even stronger if you pulled the dead tree up a litle bit more. Make it almost white. Make it really "pop" against the dark background.

-monkey
But of bliss and of glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
supermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jul 2007, 19:39   #4
scq
Hypermodder

Monkey,

I've made it a shade darker. I don't want to darken it too much or I'd start losing details in the surrounding foliage. But you're right, it was a little faded. It wasn't as noticeable in my software as it was converted and uploaded. So now, it is the newer version.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 20th Jul 2007, 23:30   #5
supermonkey
Deal with it

supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It still looks pretty good, but perhaps I wasn't very clear in my previous post. I liked how dark the trees were before. Now that I'm home viewing on my calibrated monitor, the trees look a little too dark; some of the nicer highlights have disappeared. What I meant was that the dead tree could have been lighter.

-monkey
But of bliss and of glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
supermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 23:14   #6
OleJ
Me!

OleJ has yet to learn the way of the DremelOleJ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very good shot Reminds me of the pictures by Yann Arthus Bertrand who shoots "earth from above"
Dig him here: http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/
OleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 23:19   #7
HenvY
Yeah, what IS a dremel?

HenvY has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That is awesome. What camera did you use and is there a larger version I could use for a background(with your permission )?
HenvY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jul 2007, 23:26   #8
scq
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenvY View Post
That is awesome. What camera did you use and is there a larger version I could use for a background(with your permission )?
That would be a Rebel XT, coupled with a 70-200 F/4L. It was shot at 200mm at F/4 (which is why if you look closely at the full size version, you'll see some out of focus trees). I believe it was ISO100 at 1/200th shutter speed.

The location is somewhere between Jasper and Calgary - there's a lot of these dead trees that look twisted and gnarled. I think this shot might have been taken while I was in a car.

Sure you can use it as a background as long as you credit me if people ask. Just send me a private message with your email and the dimensions of your desktop is and I'll toss you a copy.

Tags
potm