View Poll Results: Games are
Art 30 73.17%
Not art 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd Jul 2007, 13:55   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ebert: Games still aren't art

So, you may remember that Roger Ebert said that computer games weren't art a while back. We covered Clive Barkers response to that in the news. You can find the article yourselves, I'm having lunch and can't be arsed to put down my fork to find it (mm, pasta salad)

Anyway, Ebert has come back with a...comeback...and still insists games aren't art:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=80201

I'd be very interested in hearing peoples views on this, for future features.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 14:00   #2
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Perhaps it's being confused as an art medium because it provokes reactions? Or is the label 'work of art' purely a remark on the graphical content, i.e. how realistic it looks?
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 14:34   #3
ElThomsono
Mod Master

ElThomsono has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
IMO they have far too much direct purpose to be considered art; perhaps if they weren't fun to play?
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 14:42   #4
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
It depends on your definition of "art"

If you take art to be the kind of stuff that Brian Sewell likes, which vanishes up its own arse with self-importance, then no, games are not art.

However, if you take art to include any kind of creative work, then yes it's art. The problem is that by this definition Hollywood films would be included as art. It boils down to the idea of whether or nor art is allowed to be commercial - whether something like a Thomas Kinkade picture is allowed to be art, or whether it's just vomit-worthy.

This kind of argument will always run and run - on the one side, you'll have the Brian Sewell purists, and on the other you'll have the all-inclusives. It'll never stop, because both sides think they're right.

What do I think? Well, yes, I think games can be considered as art. Not all games, but those games that have a well-rounded story line (Deus Ex and the like), or have particularly lush graphics (not necessarily Crysis-style realistic, but games that have a their own unique graphic style that perhaps complements the story well). Grim Fandango is a game that appeals both in terms of the story and the graphics.

Of course, there are also gaming equivalents of my 4-year old niece's crayon scribblings, and I wouldn't consider them art.

So, in conculsion, games can be considered an art-form, but not all games are artistic.
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 14:49   #5
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElThomsono View Post
IMO they have far too much direct purpose to be considered art; perhaps if they weren't fun to play?
Some games aren't fun, like Pro Cycling Manager 2006. But pretty pictures can still be art, so why can't fun games?

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 23rd Jul 2007, 14:51   #6
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Joe: Why do you post so many threads in Gaming? Shouldn't you put these on the front page under news?

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 15:27   #7
ElThomsono
Mod Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
Some games aren't fun, like Pro Cycling Manager 2006. But pretty pictures can still be art, so why can't fun games?
Because if it's functional, it's not purely art, is it?

Sure a lot of aesthetic design's gone into my monitor, but it's first and foremost a machine to display images. With games, they're primarily designed as entertainment, any artistic element is a an afterthought. Nobody starts to make a game by saying "I'd like to make a statement about society, and all its ills", instead they say "Wouldn't it be cool to have a game where you can steal cars and shoot people?".
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 15:39   #8
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Not true. Haze: We want to make a game which mirrors a number of issues to do with violence in the media and governmental morality. How can we make a game about that?

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 23rd Jul 2007, 15:39   #9
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Depends on the game. HL2? Work of art. Carmageddon? Not so much.
It's possible, at least in my eyes, for a game to be art.

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 15:41   #10
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEdey View Post
Joe: Why do you post so many threads in Gaming? Shouldn't you put these on the front page under news?
I've only done two or three really and a lot of it is to do with the fact that if I post these things as news then it stops me being able to work on the review I'm working on. I do some news in the morning and then I have to move on to reviews - anything else of significant interest and I put it in here so people can still discuss it, but I don't need to worry about tymos...I mean, typos.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 23rd Jul 2007, 15:53   #11
ElThomsono
Mod Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
Not true. Haze: We want to make a game which mirrors a number of issues to do with violence in the media and governmental morality. How can we make a game about that?
Cool, first I've heard of it; I guess that by my views on art it qualifies

However, I still stand by the opinion that games don't automatically qualify as art. Ask anyone in the buisness "Yes, but is it art" and they'll probably punch you in the face, the subject might just have been discussed before
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 15:59   #12
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2007/...d__fps_games/1

Delves a bit into the issue and talks about Haze especially.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 23rd Jul 2007, 16:23   #13
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If a lightbulb that turns on and off can be considered art then so are videogames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 17:07   #14
will.
A motorbike of jealousy!

will. has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwill. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Needs to have another option. I voted art, but personally I see a video game as a game but the individual parts as art. For example, a model, a texture, a soundtrack, a special effect. They are all pieces of art. Together they make a collection or a gallery of art. Not one single piece.

Check out my Last.FM & iToggle & Nav-o-Matic jQuery plugins.
will. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 19:00   #15
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think some are - it depends on the storyline mostly, not the texture quality or any of that nonsense (possible exception: Far Cry). I'd only consider a video game to be a work of art in the same sense that I'd think the same of a book.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 20:07   #16
Sandwich
Modder

Sandwich has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Art is the representation of the creators' human emotions, mindsets and/or environments. Usually this representation conveys a message.

A literary novel such as Scarlet Letter is Art. It explores all three of those things and conveys a message
A book such as Harry Potter is not Art. It is entertainment.

A picture like the Epson Toner ad in the banners is not art. It is a commercial.
A picture like Van Gogh's Self-Portrait is Art. It is a representation of his mindset.

An informercial for Miracle Blade is not Art.
A propaganda message is Art because represents the human environment and mindset of politicians.

So with that in mind. If the game is made with a message, it usually involves some sort of emotion or mindset in the developer's mind. More often than not, this is not the case. But this is true for anything. Even painters occasionally paint for no reason other than money or practice. Picasso did that, he used to just scribble stuff out to sell it.
Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2007, 21:07   #17
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

I remember there were scenes from a Myst game that was used in the Tate and there was a 'war photographer' who took pictures in Enemy Territory for display. I also saw an exhibition of corpses in Max Payne once.

http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 23rd Jul 2007, 22:55   #18
Bungle
Rainbow Warrior

Bungle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm pretty sure gaming can be concidered art. I remember the first time playing unreal when you've just come outside of your crashed ship to witness an alien world. The music and the visuals worked beautifully together to invoke strong emotion. For me that is what art is suppose to do. Move you emotionally.
Old 24th Jul 2007, 00:37   #19
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
If this can be considered art:

Anything can...
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2007, 10:03   #20
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

THATS art. By Andy Goldsworthy, who is a very cool guy.

www.joemartinwords.com