bit-tech.net

Old 24th Jul 2007, 11:11   #1
trigger
Procrastinator

trigger has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltrigger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
[07/07] Cemetary Gate

I may be pushing my luck with the theme here, but it appears to be very open to interpretation, so...

flickr
trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2007, 12:58   #2
Hugo.B
Supermodder

Hugo.B has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It reminds me of the opening scene in "Doctor Who: BLINK"

H.B.
Hugo.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2007, 14:29   #3
Mother-Goose
5 o'clock somewhere

Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Can you do it in b/w just so I can see how it looks?

MSI GS70 STEALTH
Mother-Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2007, 14:57   #4
trigger
Procrastinator

trigger has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltrigger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for the comments. I don't have access to the original at the moment, and this entry has had an orton effect added, but here is a quick BW conversion on the above orton-ised version:

flickr
Old 24th Jul 2007, 15:08   #5
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nice! I like the softness of the gate against the light behind it.
Old 24th Jul 2007, 16:34   #6
Mother-Goose
5 o'clock somewhere

Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Hmmmm, I think it fits the theme more in black and white, it's a kind of classic victorian (secret garden?) elegence. Very nice shot.

MSI GS70 STEALTH
Old 24th Jul 2007, 18:51   #7
Amon
inch-perfect

Amon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wouldn't mind being buried in this cemetery. Address/Business #?
Amon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2007, 19:11   #8
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother-Gooser View Post
Hmmmm, I think it fits the theme more in black and white, it's a kind of classic victorian (secret garden?) elegence. Very nice shot.
I agree, though it might work even better with a light sepia tone applied.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2007, 21:45   #9
m0o0oeh
Tech noob. I know.

m0o0oeh has yet to learn the way of the Dremelm0o0oeh has yet to learn the way of the Dremelm0o0oeh has yet to learn the way of the Dremelm0o0oeh has yet to learn the way of the Dremelm0o0oeh has yet to learn the way of the Dremelm0o0oeh has yet to learn the way of the Dremelm0o0oeh has yet to learn the way of the Dremelm0o0oeh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Seconded Firehed, its a really nice shot, but that sepia tinge would look the puppy's privates IMO.

Joe

Mac Quiksilver 733, 768 SDRAM, NVidia GeForce 2MX 32 Mb RAM. "Dr. Horrible"
Acer Aspire One A150, 1.66 Intel Atom, 1 gig DDR2 RAM. "Captain Hammer"
m0o0oeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2007, 22:52   #10
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
It does look very nice with a sepia twinge to it. Very victorian era type affair. Lovely pic.
Old 25th Jul 2007, 00:34   #11
supermonkey
Deal with it

supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm going to go against the general consensus and say that I prefer the color version. The black and white version lacks the contrast to bring out the details, and I don't think the soft focus really works as well - in black and white it just looks out of focus. Since a lot of the objects share the same luminance, a simple b&w conversion didn't do it justice; the objects are lost among each other. Using the Channel Mixer (or similar utility in your image editing program of choice) may help set the gate apart from its surroundings.

The color version has a very dreamy quality which, thanks to the soft focus, enhances the subject. I like the way the old, rusted gate contrasts with the lush, green foliage. It's kind of poetic in that circle-of-life kind of way.

Just my thoughts.

-monkey
But of bliss and of glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
supermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2007, 10:28   #12
Mother-Goose
5 o'clock somewhere

I see what you are getting at the black and white supermonkey, I agree now you have said it, if you removed the soft focus and upped the contrast I think it would look great!

As for the sepia, I wasn't sure about it until I got home and did it, it looks great, especially with the soft focus.

MSI GS70 STEALTH
Old 25th Jul 2007, 10:46   #13
trigger
Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonkey View Post
The color version has a very dreamy quality which, thanks to the soft focus, enhances the subject. I like the way the old, rusted gate contrasts with the lush, green foliage. It's kind of poetic in that circle-of-life kind of way.
That dreamy feel was what I was going for (that's the image I had in my head when I was there, just a matter of turning that into reality...).

Thanks for the comments all, criticism is always appreciated I shall try a better BW conversion, perhaps on the original and see how a sepia version looks too tonight.

flickr
Old 25th Jul 2007, 11:56   #14
Mother-Goose
5 o'clock somewhere

Yep trigger, definitely on the original. I don't think there has been any criticism either which is good, just suggestions on how to get the most out of what is a fantastic shot.

MSI GS70 STEALTH
Old 25th Jul 2007, 12:05   #15
OleJ
Me!

OleJ has yet to learn the way of the DremelOleJ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Beautiful gate. Very dreamy with the corrosion and the vines. I like the color version best as it gives more detail.
OleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2007, 17:36   #16
Smilodon
The Antagonist

Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Smilodon is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Very nice pic.

I would prefer it to be sharper, though. It's a bit unpleasant to look at when it's fuzzy like that.

Black and white with a bit better contrast and a little sepia tone would look nice, i think
Old 31st Jul 2007, 00:25   #17
zabe
Perfect in my imperfection

zabe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That's a great picture, very nice ethereal feeling (perfect fit for the place!!) due to the bloom of the light... I love over-exposure effects!! The contrast between the setting (more obscure in concept, after all it's a cementery) and the smooth/curved forms from the gate does give the place a very elegant feel that one wouldn't expect to find... Very nice picture, congrats!!
zabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
potm