bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Jul 2007, 17:36   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
AMD's R7xx series GPUs to support DisplayPort

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/07..._displayport/1

AMD's next-generation R7xx series GPUs will support DisplayPort and there looks to be more surprises on AMD's roadmaps too...

Old 27th Jul 2007, 18:20   #2
devdevil85
Hypermodder

devdevil85 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Maybe your right Tim about the inter-GPU communication bridge(s) for the GPUs being the reason for no PCI-E 2.0, which could potentially help cut cost and draw less power? Idk really, but I think your hypothesis is probably right, but is it too late for them to include PCI-E 2.0 because I thought it would be the next standard? Also, do you think this choice will hampen performance? or will the proprietary bridge connector perform just as good? Also, I think the 55nm GPU (OC will probably be pretty good) would probably be a good sacrafice to PCI-E 2.0.......also what does Dispaly Port offer over HDMI 1.3 or even DVI?

Last edited by devdevil85; 27th Jul 2007 at 18:27.
devdevil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2007, 18:22   #3
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
i am ok with this as long as they don't pull another X2900.....
Old 27th Jul 2007, 18:23   #4
-EVRE-
Supermodder

-EVRE- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
next year when we have hte hardware in hand.

*sits on hands waiting for some juicy hardware to play Crisis on*
Old 27th Jul 2007, 18:29   #5
Amon
inch-perfect

Amon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can agree on the adaptation of DisplayPort. PCIe 2.0, not so much. AFAIK, there aren't any breakthroughs in PCIe 2.0 that would help high-end cards to achieve comparable performance to if they just drew more power from external connections. Bandwidth-wise, we still haven't broken the AGP 8x interface's bandwidth limitation to the system bus, so there shouldn't be any substantiated gain over the first PCIe either.
Amon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2007, 18:37   #6
devdevil85
Hypermodder

devdevil85 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE View Post
i am ok with this as long as they don't pull another X2900.....
DXR, the card to me was great for the price over here in the USA and also there was no good comparison to the 8800 because every game that was benchmarked was DX9 based and the 2900 is meant for DX10, and more heavily focused on shaders; which again there wasn't a good game to compare it on and there still isn't until a completely DX10-based game like Crysis debuts.....but I must agree that the specs, the price and the concluding benchmarks did/do make it seem mediocre especially outside of the US in terms of pricing...so I hear you...but it really is a great card deep down....
devdevil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2007, 18:46   #7
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
good day for amd i just hope that something appears before my b'day in november
Old 28th Jul 2007, 19:31   #8
Bladestorm
Hypermodder

Bladestorm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So it looks like they only plan a refresh of the 2900 and a (by the sounds of it) low end "2000" part for 2007? shame for us consumers the market on the whole desperately needs real competition to Nvida, otherwise prices will remain well above the previous norms and Nvidia won't feel pressure to bring anything new to the table either.