bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 31st Jul 2007, 15:07   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Epic: Crysis will be as good as it gets

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/07...d_as_it_gets/1

Mark Rein, VP of Epic, reckons that DX10 won't see major adoption thanks to the thriving console market and that Crysis will be the pinnacle of gaming for years to come.

Old 31st Jul 2007, 15:11   #2
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm willing to bet this is going to be an "eat my own hat" quote. Someone probably said a similar thing with DX9. Like the "3 computer" quote.

Mark Rein is a genius in his own games. But I don't understand why he doesn't promote UE3 rather then Crysis.

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2007, 15:17   #3
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As Joe said in the article...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Martin
Still, I suppose having a pause in graphical advancements could be a good thing if it forces developers to focus on other technological and gameplay issues.
... I freaking hope so! We're still using bloody 32bit and how long have we been buying 64bit CPUs? Bloody consoles! >.<
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2007, 15:19   #4
Bursar
Hypermodder

Bursar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If DX10 doesn't take off, then surely that will spell the end of the GPU race. There won't be any need to develop faster and more complicated GPUs as they will set there mostly unutilised.

Even if game interfaces are "dumbed down" for consoles, people will still want the spangly graphics and wizzy effects. In fact, there are a large number of games that seem to get by on that alone!

DX10 seems to have been a bit of a slow starter, but given the large number of games that are due out later in the year, I reckon it'll be picking up pace pretty quickly
Bursar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2007, 15:23   #5
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
I think Crysis will be the best looking game this year, but not for the next 5 years. It also depends on what you think is a "good looking" game, as well as the type of game. I thought C&C Generals was a good looking game, but its an RTS, but im sure there was some one else who thought there was a better looking game, which might have been a FPS, its all down to personal opinion at the end of the day.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2007, 15:23   #6
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Consoles have been 64-bit for longer then PC's. GPUs have been 128bit aswell.

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2007, 16:14   #7
Vergil_117
Multimodder

Vergil_117 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
People listen to mark today? I remember when everyone booed and dissed him for his idiotic remarks.
Vergil_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2007, 16:28   #8
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
I don't think he's right, I think developers will always be looking to continue to out-do each other in terms of graphics and looks of games. Also remember that even though the technology in a console is fixed, games do get better looking graphically as time goes on during a console's life, and the developers get better at cramming better graphics into the same internals. In much the same way films, even after a hundred years, are still striving for better effects, so too will games.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2007, 16:40   #9
msm722
Multimodder

msm722 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wonder what the UT4 engine (2 years into development) will bring, if mark rein thinks this.
msm722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2007, 16:42   #10
Hells_Bliss
Supermodder

Hells_Bliss has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd like to see 64 bit games, and crysis does have amazing graphics, so I wouldn't be sad if they started using the crysis engine, or a similar level of graphics in computer games, especially if they start using the time to optimize their code and stop releasing crappy products for the PC.

I don't see software makers blocking themselves into just dx10 games just yet, since it only runs on Vista, and vista hasn't really been adopted yet by the majority of consumers. They're out to make money too

F T W is blocked? lol i can't type sof.t.w.are anymore?
Old 31st Jul 2007, 16:48   #11
revlob
Modder

revlob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Executive-type in "our game is the best" shocker.

But seriously, he does have a point. There's not much to stand in the way of the progression of technology, and the potential to create better-looking games, but it's getting more and more expensive and risky to develop games with cutting-edge visuals.
revlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2007, 16:56   #12
devdevil85
Hypermodder

devdevil85 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Honestly, check out what the MGS4 gameplay demo looks like and you'll see that the next-gen games on the console (or the PS3 atleast) will look superior to what's currently available on the PC....but once Crysis debuts and consumers see the the reason to buy the hardware, and then game developers see that the hardware is selling then DX10 will go mainstream and GPUs will continue to progress and we the PC gamers will be up to our heads in graphical prowess, and Mr. Rein's quote will be splat all across the forums....

P.S. I like Joe's statement about Project Offset....I mean just look at that game....Crysis won't last long at the top...but it will be the best for a good while....

Last edited by devdevil85; 31st Jul 2007 at 17:03.
devdevil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2007, 17:00   #13
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Da_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
With AMD, Nvidia and Microsoft pushing DX10 of course it will take off.
Da_Rude_Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2007, 17:05   #14
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdevil85 View Post
Honestly, check out what the MGS4 gameplay demo looks like and you'll see that the next-gen games on the console (or the PS3 atleast) will look superior to what's currently available on the PC....but once Crysis debuts and consumers see the the reason to buy the hardware, and then game developers see that the hardware is selling then DX10 will go mainstream and GPUs will continue to progress and we the PC gamers will be up to our heads in graphical prowess, and Mr. Rein's quote will be splat all across the forums....

P.S. I like Joe's statement about Project Offset....I mean just look at that game....Crysis won't last long at the top...but it will be the best for a good while....
We agree again! What happened to our constant PS3 arguements?!

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2007, 17:18   #15
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
how much did sony pay him? honestly.... that stuff sounds like its coming directly from ps3 marketing department....
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2007, 17:18   #16
Vergil_117
Multimodder

Vergil_117 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
everyone forgets alan wake (I find that game 10 times better looking than crysis, one reason being the massive draw distances, and it actully looking "real" and not as if it were a video game)
Vergil_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2007, 17:57   #17
devdevil85
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by naokaji
how much did sony pay him? honestly.... that stuff sounds like its coming directly from ps3 marketing department....
How about they sold me on their console's abilities and then MGS4's graphics! Seriously, I'm getting tired of being called a fanboy when I'm just a guy who loves innovation and who will never own a console in his life (other than the Wii).....not to be mean, but seriously stfu and stop referring me to that....I mean to be completely truthful you might as well just call me an overly fanatic PC fanboy because I'm more crazy for DX10 & Crysis/Project Offset.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
We agree again! What happened to our constant PS3 arguements?!
/\...as you can see I'm getting tired of it...also Joe there are multiple things that we have in common, and tbh as long as you respect the PS3 as a console and not because of Sony's mistakes or it's crazy pricetag, I'm fine with it...because even if the PS3 was the greatest thing since sliced bread, the games are what matters and if the games are lacking, either in the gameplay, graphical or innovative levels, I would NOT buy one...so...I hope that explains my perception on it...

Last edited by devdevil85; 31st Jul 2007 at 18:06.
Old 31st Jul 2007, 18:06   #18
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
@DevDevil

Sorry to rile you up - was only poking fun a little and didn't mean to cause offense

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2007, 18:15   #19
Ramble
Ginger Nut

Ramble has yet to learn the way of the DremelRamble has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is he crazy? Can he not see the massive amount of new titles coming this fall?
Old 31st Jul 2007, 18:25   #20
devdevil85
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
@DevDevil

Sorry to rile you up - was only poking fun a little and didn't mean to cause offense
Joe you're fine man, it's the guy above that I can't stand...