bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 2nd Aug 2007, 01:57   #1
Drachnem
Supermodder

Drachnem has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Do you smoke around your computer? Take a look here!

I have been doing my fathers computer systems for a long time, and normally I replace his system within a few months to keep him up to date. I built him a Chief Tech full tower and he's been using it for about 6 months now, he complained that his system was running slow etc so I popped open the case to check for over heating and found this:

Lesson is if you smoke, get filters this is only 6ish months of smoke and dust. Plus the sheer amount of dirt and caked smoke is amazing lol.
[Cooler Master Cosmos][Asus P8Z77-V][i5 3750k @stock][Stock CPU Fan][8 GB GSkill RipJaws PC 2133][XFX Radeon HD 7950 Black @stock][Intel 320 Series SSD][2x 1TB Sata 32mb HDs][Liteon iHas][4x 120mm 2x 92mm][Corsair TX750m Modular PSU][All black cables][22 Acer/22V View Sonic][Logitech G930][Logitech G700][3D Mark 11 Score:10053]
Drachnem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 02:00   #2
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

E.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run Crysis
Good friggin' LORD, that's nasty! I think that's a great Anti-Smoking ad targeting the mod crowd.
LilyPC V.2 - completed! • BIO-A10 - MotM Jul. '12 Nominee Loser! • "Movie Sign!" - in progress • CheckMate - MotM May '09 Nominee Loser! • BluBawx I - MotY '09 Nominee Loser! • Lumi่re Noire - MotM Apr. '08 Nominee Loser! • NOTalis w/ MNPCTech • "Building Better Worlds" - MotM Feb. '08 Nominee Loser!
E.E.L. Ambiense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 02:09   #3
GuitarBizarre
banned

GuitarBizarre has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm not queasyabout most things, but that literally makes me feel sick to look at it. THe fans, no so much, though that black one is still pretty close...but that heatsink is seriously making me wanna void my stomach.
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 03:21   #4
Demon Cleaner
Multimodder

Demon Cleaner has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah I smoke around my computer and have had my motherboard fan stop working (luckily I noticed) aswell as my vga card fan stop (unfortunately it blew up). Smoking kills, folks.
Demon Cleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 03:26   #5
chrisb2e9
Dont do that...

chrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysis
wow. This reminds me of why smoking was banned on airplanes. the smoke would damage the gyros in some of the instruments and those things aren't cheap.
chrisb2e9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 04:03   #6
saxman
Multimodder

saxman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
thats rather disgusting that looks like a computer I took apart after several years of use and no cleaning.man that is impressive.
saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 04:05   #7
Gravemind123

Gravemind123 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow, it took my old P3 Dell years to get that way, smoking sure helps make computers dirty!

Dell XPS M1330 - T8300 - 4GB Ram - 8400M GS - 250GB HDD
Gravemind123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 09:22   #8
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I hope you didn't touch it with bare hands

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 10:06   #9
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nevermind those pics... just imagine what his lungs must be like
RTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 10:10   #10
Morphine-Kitty
Dead account.

Morphine-Kitty has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It looks like there are chunks of hair on that fan...

But to put it simply... gross.
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 11:38   #11
riggs
^_^

riggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysisriggs can run Crysis
That's pretty mingin'!

I do smoke around my laptops, but not all the time (and they get regular clean-outs anyway). TBH, it's mainly just dust/dead skin that gets caught up in my fans...
Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's your father. Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie!

PSN ID: buster2006
riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 11:43   #12
herbs
Nobody but us chickens

herbs has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Your dad needs to cut down his smoking even if its just for his pc's health. I would clean it once and tell him next time he does it himself if it's in that state.

A police recruit was asked during the exam, "What would you do if you had to arrest your own mother?" He said, "Call for backup."

"you could have it all, my empire of dirt, I will let you down, I will make you hurt"
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 11:50   #13
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I still find it hard to believe just how much dust got built up - does he not vacuum his house?
RTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 12:03   #14
Ramble
Ginger Nut

Ramble has yet to learn the way of the DremelRamble has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good lord, just how many does he smoke a day?
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 12:19   #15
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb2e9 View Post
wow. This reminds me of why smoking was banned on airplanes. the smoke would damage the gyros in some of the instruments and those things aren't cheap.
A nice excuse, but the more accurate reason why smoking was banned on airplanes was so that airlines could vastly lower the level of airconditioning and therefore reduce the fuel use per flight. A side affect of this is now that you're much more likely to catch a cold on a plane. Still, I guess it's better to get a cold or a flu than have to deal with smoke for a few hours.
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 14:08   #16
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I got a free PC because it had stopped working. Opened it up to find something much like this. Not only do the parts smell really really strongly (and bad ofc), but all the gunk is sticky. Really sticky.

I just binned the heatsink/fan (only a stock one, have many to replace it), PSU and fans.

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 15:06   #17
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

E.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run Crysis
I had to look @ them again. Geez. It almost looks like undead fans that just crawled out of a crypt somewhere, lol. Nasty.
LilyPC V.2 - completed! • BIO-A10 - MotM Jul. '12 Nominee Loser! • "Movie Sign!" - in progress • CheckMate - MotM May '09 Nominee Loser! • BluBawx I - MotY '09 Nominee Loser! • Lumi่re Noire - MotM Apr. '08 Nominee Loser! • NOTalis w/ MNPCTech • "Building Better Worlds" - MotM Feb. '08 Nominee Loser!
E.E.L. Ambiense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 15:26   #18
mushky
gimme snails

mushky has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That made my lungs itchy
mushky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 16:31   #19
chrisb2e9
Dont do that...

chrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by specofdust View Post
A nice excuse, but the more accurate reason why smoking was banned on airplanes was so that airlines could vastly lower the level of airconditioning and therefore reduce the fuel use per flight. A side affect of this is now that you're much more likely to catch a cold on a plane. Still, I guess it's better to get a cold or a flu than have to deal with smoke for a few hours.
I cant say I agree with that. Whats your source of information? I have 3 years of flight training under my belt plus i'm a flight instructor. Even planes without a/c still dont allow smoking.
I'm not trying to start a fight here, I would really like to know where you heard that.
chrisb2e9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2007, 17:02   #20
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Some pilot told my dad (he flies like 2-4 times a week for business so has gotten to know people over the years). For comercial airliners they're able to have the AC doing far far less work if they're not having to keep the cabin smokefree.
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling