1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Heatsink Group Test - August 2007

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Aug 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

That Kama Cross looks like a badass engine block. :rock:

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

lol, yeah it does.

4. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

good article - I love the way that the motherboard is bent in all the pictures, some of those heatsinks were a complete bitch to fit wern't they?

5. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Good review but still the issue that the Freezer 7 Pro has not been included. I know it is 'old' but it is the best cooler for the money (not the est outright cooler) for C2D's and C2Q's.

It should be included as a bench mark, if I am going to spend more than £17 on a CPU cooler I'd want it to be better and quieter than the Freezer 7 Pro.

You'll be hard pushed to find people that disagree with this as well I reckon. Most other cheaper coolers do perform as the price dictates but the Freezer always out perform their price band.

6. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

I did not notice that till you mentioned it, then it becomes all too obvious. Seems to have got bad once the Scythe Infinity was fitted.

7. mk-donald

mk-donald bits and bobs

Hey MG. Thanks for that confirmation. Have my eye on either an E6750/Q6600 upgrade and had put a Freezer 7 Pro on the wishlist - glad to hear that first-hand recommendation.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

We did have one but the push pins are broken after many uses - I'll get another in and put it through the same tests as these. :)

9. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I totally agree.

For the cash it's an incredible heatsink.

10. quack

quack Minimodder

Excellent timing by bit-tech, I was looking at some of these coolers just last night.

I'm very interested in seeing bit's results for the Freezer 7 Pro too.

11. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Second.

12. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

yay! more heatsinks! thanks for the reviews! :thumb:

13. FooSai

FooSai What's a Dremel?

Nice review :thumb:

That Kama Cross looks real sweet. I wonder what the performance gain would be from using a 120mm fan on it? Any chance you guys could get results using the 120mm fan from the Infinity on it? should give a fair comparison :D

And on the note of comparing the Kama to the Infinity.... the results table on the Kama Cross' page 2 is for the Scythe Infinity not the Kama :duh:

14. XeroNXS

XeroNXS What's a Dremel?

For all Infinity owners I can suggest the "Scythe Universal Retention Kit". ;)
    It provides a much better fit on the motherboard.
    Just recently used it myself.

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks for picking up on that - I'd looked at this for a fair few hours by the time I got to formatting images. :blush:

16. DarkJedi

DarkJedi What's a Dremel?

Agreed. I've got a killer 120mm fan already that I won't be using once I upgrade (currently fitted on a thermalright XP120) and it's silent at full speed, at least I can't hear it and that's good enough for me.

Anyway you can check this?

17. hamm3rhead

hamm3rhead What's a Dremel?

FTA:

The mount pins have a distinctive click when they lock in place. I've had nothing but positive results with this cooler as I can add it to a system without hassle and significantly reduce heat without adding system noise.

To remove the Infinity the mount pins must be rotated slightly, this will disengage the lock via an internal spring. Once the lock/spring is free on all 4 mounts the cooler can be pulled off with a slight amount of force. I've personally removed and re-mounted this cooler in my own desktop a half-dozen times without issue. After installing this in others systems I have yet to remove it so I have no mass reference. I will say the sheer size can be a bit of a hassle in some cases.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Andune

Andune What's a Dremel?

It feels like the Scythe Kama Cross is leaking a lot of air out on the sides that should have been force through the heatsinks...

19. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

please keep in mind that there are those weirdos out there that don't use C* .... myself included. For the next review would you please include Fahrenheit?

20. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

It seems the majority of the heatsinks tested are taller towers. Would it be possible to test lower profile coolers? I know the Zerotherm CF900 is pretty slim but a comparison of several for the small case market would be nice. I don't know what would qualify as low profile but seeing testing in the below 100-mm range would be fine by me.

Some possible coolers are:
    Thermaltake Blue Orb II
    AeroCool Dominator 140-mm
    SilverStone NT06 - Perhaps compare fans mounted facing opposite directions.
    Zalman 7700 - Comparing the aluminum-copper and the full copper versions would be interesting to see.
    Thermaltake CL-P0006 - Perhaps compare fans mounted facing opposite directions.

Tags: Add Tags