bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Aug 2007, 09:03   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Eminem sues Apple for iTunes music downloads

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/08...es_downloads/1

Another lawsuit is filed against Apple as Eight Mile Style sues for copyright infringement.

Old 3rd Aug 2007, 09:05   #2
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
£73k in damages for EACH download? I want to have a math degree that works like that. I'd make millions.

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 09:38   #3
Naberius
Multimodder

Naberius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thats would total stupid amount of money if it ever happens, makes you think what the long term effects would be on apple.
Naberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 09:39   #4
Queelis
Minimodder

Queelis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The silliest request I've seen so far. That'd probably give him billions. As if he was worth it :P
Queelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 09:48   #5
bilbothebaggins
Multimodder

bilbothebaggins has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Isn't Law strange??

Eminem <- contract with -> Universal <- contract with -> Apple
Now Eminem sues Apple ... interesting
bilbothebaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 09:49   #6
Hugo.B
Supermodder

Hugo.B has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
That'd probably give him billions.
I guess he knows that only too well.
Hugo.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 10:00   #7
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
if you got to the shop and buy a cd you pay what.... £10?... there are like 15 songs on it... that makes £0.66 damage and not £73k per song...

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 10:01   #8
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbothebaggins View Post
Isn't Law strange??

Eminem <- contract with -> Universal <- contract with -> Apple
Now Eminem sues Apple ... interesting
Avoid the middle man... Otherwise Eminem would sue Universal, Universal would Sue apple.

But now, it'll be Eminem sues Apple, Apple sues Universal, Universal sues Eminem

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 11:01   #9
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Can I sue one of them? I want 73k sterlings a song as well!
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 11:25   #10
Loz
Blah Blah

Loz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
£73,800 is approximately $150,000 which is, IIRC, the maximum amount allowed in situations such as this. That's the same figure the RIAA are fond of suing students for.
Loz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 13:10   #11
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEdey View Post
£73k in damages for EACH download? I want to have a math degree that works like that. I'd make millions.
My thought exactly. How could someone possibly come up with such a stupidly high number? Like I've said from the outset of this, the most someone should have to pay for copyright infringement is the retail price plus enough extra that it's a deterrent to stealing and hoping for the best... and that deterrent isn't supposed to be PER SONG. I calculate that as 99c/track * number of tracks plus fifty bucks or so.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 13:39   #12
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Emimem is not exactly a, shall we say, functional guy... you can put his lawsuit in the same category as that of the judge who sued a drycleaner for millions over a (temporarily) misplaced pair of pants.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 13:43   #13
ChromeX
I *am* a Dremel

ChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sounds to me like some is becoming broke!
ChromeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 13:45   #14
Mister_Tad
Serious about coffee

Mister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Avoid the middle man... Otherwise Eminem would sue Universal, Universal would Sue apple.

But now, it'll be Eminem sues Apple, Apple sues Universal, Universal sues Eminem
That can't be right, the RIAA isn't suing anyone there
Mister_Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 14:27   #15
completemadness
Hypermodder

completemadness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
73k in damages for EACH download? I want to have a math degree that works like that. I'd make millions.
Is that figure not, 73k for every download of his songs ?
I don't believe you could sue 73 for each download of each song, you'd be talking about billions
Quote:

it seems odd he can sue apple, i would have thought he would have to sue universal, as they liscenced his songs without his permission
And apple could sue universal for licensing them songs they don't have the licence for

I don't see how universal can sue anyone, their the ones who f**ked up
completemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 15:01   #16
Lowsidex2
Multimodder

Lowsidex2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So what, did he wake up this morning and suddenly realize there was this thing called iPod and iTunes? He's an ass that purposely waited for as long as he could to rack up the counts and is now trying to cash in. He's a punk with a waning career hoping for one last score. Hope the judge bitch slaps him back across the railroad tracks.
Lowsidex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 15:32   #17
Arkanrais
Supermodder

Arkanrais has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can sorta see where he's coming from but 73k per song? he needs to take his head out of his ass.
then again I don't think it would be eminem himself but his lawyers asking/demanding that much money, and if you're asking that much, then it might make asking for a lower amount later seem less crazy than if he had asked for it strait up.
Arkanrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 15:40   #18
completemadness
Hypermodder

completemadness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanrais View Post
I can sorta see where he's coming from but 73k per song? he needs to take his head out of his ass.
as this has been said so much i thought i would re-read it

Quote:
and up to 73,800 in damages for every time a song was downloaded.
Im pretty sure that means 73k in total (so if his songs have been downloaded 73k times, thats 1 per song), not 73k for each song
completemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 16:27   #19
bloodcar
Mod Master

bloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for president
The kicker is that apparently, Apple has been cutting cheques to Eight Mile Style for every download and they've been more then happy to take the money from Apple. Now I could understand if they weren't getting any money at all, but when they've been receiving money from Apple for a few years now, it just shows greed.

I think the biggest reason that Eminiem didn't sue Universal (and tbh, that's who the suit should have been filed against) is because that's Apple is a large company that isn't his record label and it will garner a lot of media attention. Personally, I don't listen to rap music and I'm just chalking him up on the list of bands that I just won't listen to anymore. He falls right into place behind Lars Ulrich from Metallica.