bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 7th Aug 2007, 15:23   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
IBM may build fastest supercomputer

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/08...upercomputer/1

Surrounded by controversy, the National Science Foundation is set to award IBM a contract to build the world's fastest supercomputer.

Old 7th Aug 2007, 15:29   #2
iwog
Linux cursed

iwog has yet to learn the way of the Dremeliwog has yet to learn the way of the Dremeliwog has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wooo, a big powerful computer that isn't being used to think up more ways to kill us. I hope it goes through as golbal warming est bad

Blag on the Intertubes
iwog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2007, 15:41   #3
sgr55
Modder

sgr55 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'll take 2

Seriously scary how much power that thing will have. Hell, it's scary to think about the software written to run on one of them.
Wonder how it would compare with one of these distributed computing projects (SETI etc)
sgr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2007, 16:32   #4
Duste
Sierra my delta, bravo!

Duste has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wonder how good this would be at Folding, eh? :P
Duste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2007, 16:35   #5
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Dear national supercomputer place would you care to join the bit folding team, regards us.
Old 7th Aug 2007, 18:09   #6
Brooxy
Like a boss (but not a boss)

Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwog View Post
Wooo, a big powerful computer that isn't being used to think up more ways to kill us.
At least that's what we're being told...

They say it's for global warming to be solved, but how much power would go into running the thing?
Brooxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2007, 18:14   #7
Delphium
Eyefinity enabled

Delphium has yet to learn the way of the DremelDelphium has yet to learn the way of the DremelDelphium has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooxy View Post
At least that's what we're being told...

They say it's for global warming to be solved, but how much power would go into running the thing?
HAH, my thoughts exactly, by the time they finished running there calculations they would have worked out they could have saved man kind a further 10years by not running that beast.

I bet it will run Oblivion and Crysis like liquid though
Delphium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2007, 18:45   #8
Amon
inch-perfect

Amon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Does it come in a colour other than IBM Black?
Amon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2007, 19:04   #9
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon View Post
Does it come in a colour other than IBM Black?

Now THAT would be a case mod project and a half!
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2007, 19:07   #10
devdevil85
Hypermodder

devdevil85 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What do they do with the parts for old/out-of-date supercomputers? Do they auction them off or what?
devdevil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2007, 19:12   #11
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Wow cool computer
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2007, 19:41   #12
g3n3tiX
resident frenchy

g3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Does it run Doom ?

more seriously, there's a flaw : a huuuge power hungry beast (wattage of such a thing ?) is used to calculate and simulate the effects of global warming. Sweeet irony indeed.
Old 7th Aug 2007, 20:19   #13
Techno-Dann
Disgruntled kumquat

Techno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdevil85 View Post
What do they do with the parts for old/out-of-date supercomputers? Do they auction them off or what?
If you're in the right place at the right time, you can pick up a mid-80s Cray for $5000 or so... They're usually torn apart for the bits of gold in them. Of course, a QX6800 will run circles around it, but it's still a Cray.

Imagine turning a Cray into a modern Beowulf cluster... Talk about a nifty case mod.
Techno-Dann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2007, 01:34   #14
jweller
Minimodder

jweller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Such arcane talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beast View Post
Wow cool computer
I wish you egghead types would stop talking in such arcane techie talk.
jweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2007, 01:38   #15
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphium View Post
I bet it will run Oblivion and Crysis like liquid though
I bet it won't.

If I'm not mistaken, Supercomputers are built as pure calculation powerhouses, not the kind of hardware we're familiar with that'll run x86 software.
I doubt it's even possible to load *any* desktop-computer software on it at all

Mind you, I'm far from being an expert on the topic..
Old 8th Aug 2007, 01:42   #16
Techno-Dann
Disgruntled kumquat

Techno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You could probably emulate an x86 CPU and DX10-compliant video card, and have enough power left to run either game quite nicely...
Techno-Dann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2007, 01:45   #17
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno-Dann View Post
You could probably emulate an x86 CPU and DX10-compliant video card, and have enough power left to run either game quite nicely...
Point.
Old 8th Aug 2007, 01:49   #18
Shadowed_fury
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Shadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
42... Yeah!
Shadowed_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2007, 05:55   #19
completemadness
Hypermodder

completemadness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow, should be interesting

Don't they currently hold the award anyway, with bluegene ? i thought that was the fastest supercomputer in the world
Although it does have a MTBF of like 4 hours

Oh and as to the computing bit of it, modern super computers basically are a baewolf cluster, it because too difficult to build ginormous motherboards, so now their just lots of multi-cored, multi socketed computers
completemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2007, 11:28   #20
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
I bet if you cracked it open, all you'd find is an Internet connection that links to millions of desktop PCs worlwide that are acting as zombies for it.

That, or an old, wizend man with a long beard.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote