1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 apparently immune to over-heating

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Aug 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Get the hell away from my console with that flamethrower!!!

3. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

That's certainly impressive, considering a human probably couldn't stand 108hrs in a sauna...

4. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Umm how the **** does that happen ?
    The cable has 2 layers of insulation ..... (and if it did get condensation there would be a big bang aswell)

How can i get "too moist" ?????!?!?!?!

5. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Only 50C? That's hardly hot now is it when you consider that Athlon XP's would frequently idle at that temperature.
    They need to wrap it up in layers of towels and let it bake itself and see how long it lasts then.

6. -equilerex-

-equilerex- What's a Dremel?

49C ? you call that a sauna?? you cant even get sweaty there. normal sauna is usually 80-100C... then again, the sauna would probably have burned down after 108h of that kind of heat:lol:

sony has done quite a good job tho.:naughty:

@completemadness maybe its not the wires themself but the plug/connector or what ever you call it.
    as for the sluggish performance, thats quite normal, my cellphone usually gets extremely sluggish when nowboarding with -17 to -35C although i think it might just be the screen itself:eyebrow:

7. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

It was probably in the end of the connector where it connects to the system, plus insert materials in cables usually has a hygroscopic rating to tell how much moisture it attracts from the air around it.

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

:hehe: 50oC was the ambient temp (the temperature of the air being blown onto the cooler) the Athlon XP would be way hotter than 50oC if the ambient was 50oC.

The PS3 is only air cooled, thats pretty good going, a lot of PCs wouldn't stand up to it.

9. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I can personally attest to it's capability of whisking heat off. The thing gets hot! I'd say it was money well-spent on Sony's part for hiring those experts that designed the heat pipe system in the thing. It certainly exhausts toasty air, that's for sure. But that means the system is working correctly. I've let it fold for a couple days straight, not one hiccup.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

[hint]M$ FOR THE SAKE OF F*** MODIFY YOUR XBOX360 COOLER NOW OR YOU WILL FEEL THE WRATH OF THE GODS OF HARDWARE AND GAMING!!!![/hint]

PS3s cooling system is rather impressive.... the first time i saw it open i was all OMFG HUGE!!!!

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Definitely. It doesn't feel 'cheap' when you hold it. Not saying anything bad about the 360, but it feels 'light' compared to the ps3. Then again, makes it easier for LANs :thumb:.

12. hnr2web

hnr2web What's a Dremel?

( 49C ? you call that a sauna?? you cant even get sweaty there. normal sauna is usually 80-100C..!! ) D'uh...
    You will get burned or even get into a boiled meat to get into a sauna with 80 - 100 Celsius temp. You mean 80-100 Fahrenheit ..!!
    Primary School Dropout..!!

13. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

No Air Conditioning in the house so on hot days (35C outside) my room gets up to 45C. The fans on the PC switch to full, but it seems to handle it OK.

I wouldn't call that "extreme" conditions, but it is definitely higher than average temps, heh.

Aggies

14. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

LOL gonna have to use that one hnr2web with your permission of course :D

15. korhojoa

korhojoa durr

Excuse me, what?
    He seems to be from Estonia, and as he has the same kind of sauna habits as we Finns do, he isn't lying.
    I go into a sauna that's at 80-100C. It's not that bad, because it's so dry. If you didn't understand how you can survive in a sauna without getting burned, maybe you should actually check for some facts before you go out saying stuff you have no clue about. Thank you.
    [/ot]

now: that ps3 is pretty impressive imo. 50 degrees celsius is about 25 degrees more celsius than the temperature that regular xboxses fail under, while idling/doing nothing.
    so yeah. well done on that one, sony.

16. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Wikipedia:

Under many circumstances, temperatures approaching and exceeding 100 °C (212 °F) would be completely intolerable. Saunas overcome this problem by controlling the humidity. The hottest Finnish saunas have relatively low humidity levels in which steam is generated by pouring water on the hot stones. This allows air temperatures that could boil water to be tolerated and even enjoyed for longer periods of time. Other types of sauna, such as the hammam, where the humidity approaches 100%, will be set to a much lower temperature of around 40 °C (104 °F) to compensate. The "wet heat" would cause scalding if the temperature were set much higher.

But it's worth bearing in mind that the humid air of a sauna is actually somewhat more conductive of heat than might be considered normal.

17. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

while it might be immune to overheating, my friend's had an interesting failure about 2 weeks after it launched.

we heard a high-pitched whine, and then a bang. when we looked at the console, the radial fan had shed all of it's fins through the back of the case (through the aluminum heatsink) and the fins then lodged themselves in the drywall behind it.

claymore V2.0 = PS3 :hehe:

18. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Surely the colder a PS3 gets the faster it should go?

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

LOLOLOLOL EPIC!!!!!

depends..... if something is made to run at a certain range of temperatures it will not run that great outside that range....

20. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Sony did their homework and passed the course, While Microsoft failed the course as MS didn't do the homework MS needed to do.

Tags: Add Tags