bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Aug 2007, 16:11   #1
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
BBC iPlayer = Hogware

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/08...ayer_hogware/1

Shut down the iPlayer? NEVER! Secret background processes continue to hog your internet connection despite what you tell it to do.

Digg

Last edited by Bindibadgi; 16th Aug 2007 at 16:46.
Da Dego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2007, 16:19   #2
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
Media Player > Real Player at least
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2007, 16:20   #3
iwog
Linux cursed

iwog has yet to learn the way of the Dremeliwog has yet to learn the way of the Dremeliwog has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
that Kservice thing is the same one thats used by 4od. I'm sure that this has already been said in the other thread though. Tried that service too, also annoyed the hell out of me. And its probably somewhere in the EULA saying "to use this service we will rape you PC any way possible"

Blag on the Intertubes
iwog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2007, 16:25   #4
BioSniper
I Mod, Therefore I Own

BioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sky, 4od, and iPlayer ALL use Kontiki, horrible bandwidth theft tbh.
I luckily knew it had Kontiki in it and make a note to close the services after every session of using the iPlayer but it's almost as bad as spyware, I can understand WHY they've done it but then really need to make it use no more than say, 5k/s upstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
Frankly this thread has become a bunch of methed up old women in a hat store.
BioSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2007, 16:40   #5
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Here is another article on the topic

http://mou.me.uk/2007/05/09/kservice...olen-bandwith/
Old 16th Aug 2007, 17:25   #6
Nikumba
Supermodder

Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Whats the software in the screenshots as that looks like a handy tool

Kimbie
Nikumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2007, 17:38   #7
-EVRE-
Supermodder

-EVRE- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
^^Agreed.

What is it!
Old 16th Aug 2007, 17:49   #8
Hugo.B
Supermodder

Hugo.B has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Task manager or firewall, don't know because I don't use Vista.
Der.
Hugo.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2007, 18:08   #9
DeX
Mube Codder

DeX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The sad thing is that I would be happy to share my bandwidth to get access to on demand tv if I could at the very least control when it was allowed to upload or download. Maybe it would become a bit like bit-torrent however where nobody shares enough to get decent speeds for streaming - but there are ways around this. Private torrent trackers work like a dream because your download quota is directly related to how much you upload. If only the BBC could use this model, the iPlayer may actually be successful.
DeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2007, 18:15   #10
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo.B
Der.
Neither does iPlayer
Old 16th Aug 2007, 18:15   #11
FvD
What's a Dremel?

FvD has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikumba View Post
Whats the software in the screenshots as that looks like a handy tool

Kimbie
That's Netlimiter.

FvD
FvD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2007, 18:20   #12
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX
The sad thing is that I would be happy to share my bandwidth to get access to on demand tv if I could at the very least control when it was allowed to upload or download. Maybe it would become a bit like bit-torrent however where nobody shares enough to get decent speeds for streaming - but there are ways around this. Private torrent trackers work like a dream because your download quota is directly related to how much you upload. If only the BBC could use this model, the iPlayer may actually be successful.
Also though, a lot of the reason people restrict their upload bandwidth on torrents is that the stuff they are torrenting is often of dubious legality, and the authorities will always go after the big uploaders first, so the perception is that by minimising your uploads you 'fly under the radar' and minimise the risk of a hefty fine.

With iPlayer, which is completely legal to use, this is not an issue. I have uncapped broadband and would happily allow iPlayer to utilise it freely (subject to me having control over it), but if I were the sort of person to download things illegally, I would be disinclined to allow bit-torrent free reign over my upstream bandwidth, even using PeerGuardian, for fear of attracting unwanted official attention.
Old 16th Aug 2007, 18:22   #13
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo.B View Post
Der.
If you are acknowledging you don't know (and guessed completely wrong), then why did you post? Idle, short, random and completely unhelpful posts are already covered well enough...
Old 16th Aug 2007, 19:24   #14
completemadness
Hypermodder

completemadness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i prefer not to allow my downloads/uploads to use my whole connection because everything else dies when you do
If you cant upload/download anymore then your Internet slows to a crawl, games practically stop, and everything starts timing out

I don't even think that having the service run after the program closes is the end of the world, what we do need though is the service to continue to follow your bandwidth allocations
Just because you closed the program doesn't mean you want to give it all your Internet connection, in fact your likely to close it to try and save your Internet connection

Edit:
Shame that petition is outvoted by the one
"Make Jeremy Clarkson Prime Minister"

Quote:
Make Jeremy Clarkson Prime Minister - 15937
prevent the BBC from making its iPlayer on-demand television service available to Windows users only, and instruct the corporation to provide its service for other operating systems also. - 15917

Last edited by completemadness; 16th Aug 2007 at 19:30.
completemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2007, 19:39   #15
squeck
Lurker

squeck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I use Netlimiter on my machines to limit p2p apps & downloads as i live in a student house (bittorrent kills warcraft for my housemates lol), you can use scheduling and control it remotely. i couldn't download 4oD last time i checked, as i have vista and the flash downloader thingy wouldn't let me and i couldn't be arsed to use a different pc
Old 16th Aug 2007, 20:40   #16
g3n3tiX
resident frenchy

g3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
I'm in ur Computah, Stealin' yer bandwidth !!
what they are doing is theft...

But see what happens when a lot of people start really using the tubes (harnessing the powa of P2P)...the infrastructure suffers. Time to upgrade, as I can see a cataclysmic system crash comin' up.
Old 16th Aug 2007, 20:41   #17
Nikumba
Supermodder

Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ok thanks, will look at it
Nikumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2007, 21:28   #18
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Real Player for Linux (or any other media player for linux) > Win Media Player. A crash would me nice tho, I might see some sunlight and they might actually upgrade their systems. My TSP has a *cough*backup*cough* system which caught fire some months ago (don't know how). They upgraded the tapes from 300gb to 1.3tb which is rather nice. Anyone up for a burning TSP?

TSP => Tubes Service Provider.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2007, 22:13   #19
cyrilthefish
Ultramodder

cyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007 View Post
Also though, a lot of the reason people restrict their upload bandwidth on torrents is that the stuff they are torrenting is often of dubious legality, and the authorities will always go after the big uploaders first, so the perception is that by minimising your uploads you 'fly under the radar' and minimise the risk of a hefty fine.
nope, 100% of your upload used = no download bandwidth available and 1.5+ seconds ping times.

Doesn't matter if said torrent is 100% legal or 100% illegal, if it maxes your upload, your connection will die a painfull death, that is why people want to limit upload.

I've never even heard of people restricting upload to 'seem more legal' at all in my experience
cyrilthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2007, 22:24   #20
mclean007
Officious Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrilthefish View Post
nope, 100% of your upload used = no download bandwidth available and 1.5+ seconds ping times.

Doesn't matter if said torrent is 100% legal or 100% illegal, if it maxes your upload, your connection will die a painfull death, that is why people want to limit upload.
All true (hence why I said subject to me having control!), and the software has to play nice with letting other software have a slice of the bandwidth as required. p2p clients really should make their traffic lowest priority and soak up the line only when you're not actively using it for other things, a bit like F@H etc. do with your CPU cycles.

However, a lot of PCs are left on a lot of the time not doing much, and I wager that if iPlayer was good with allowing other apps priority access to bandwidth, users with uncapped connections would be quite happy to let it have pretty free reign over their surplus bandwidth.
Quote:
I've never even heard of people restricting upload to 'seem more legal' at all in my experience
Definitely happens - look at the headlines and the people who get busted are often sharing hundreds of gigs of music / movies / software, because it is they who are targeted by the authorities. It's bound to scare people who would otherwise be uploading loads to keep it down a bit.