bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Aug 2007, 11:52   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
IBM and TDK partner up to make MRAM

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/08...to_make_mram/1

The memory type that replaces flash memory in many applications could be MRAM, which has been in R&D since the 1990s.

Old 23rd Aug 2007, 13:15   #2
mmorgue
Supermodder

mmorgue has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sounds very promising, once the storage capacities increase to more real-world requirements.
mmorgue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 13:18   #3
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.
will be interesting to see how the power usage turns out as well esp if there are possible plans to replace hard drives at some point in the future. Of course power usage will also affect heat and as a result access speeds.
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 16:51   #4
Bluephoenix
Spoon? What spoon?

Bluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for president
I want to see how they plan to sheild against severe EMI and outside sources of magnetism.

if they can successfully do both then it might replace ECC memory in number crunching stations for CAD and the like, where the improved speed would lead to faster analysis times.
Bluephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 17:50   #5
pendragon
I pickle they

pendragon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluephoenix View Post
I want to see how they plan to sheild against severe EMI and outside sources of magnetism.

if they can successfully do both then it might replace ECC memory in number crunching stations for CAD and the like, where the improved speed would lead to faster analysis times.
I agree. This issue immediately lept to mind when I heard it was magnetic.

Last edited by pendragon; 23rd Aug 2007 at 17:50. Reason: spelling
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 18:32   #6
-Xp-
Hypermodder

-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.-Xp- is definitely a rep cheat.
Interesting stuff! Good to see more alternatives to the old hard disk

PS: noticed a typo in the last paragraph.

Quote:
IMB and TDK are the only companies trying to push MRAM onto the market...
-Xp- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 18:38   #7
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragon View Post
I agree. This issue immediately lept to mind when I heard it was magnetic.
Current HDs are magnetic too, and they seem to do fine?

Faradays Cage to the rescue
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 18:57   #8
completemadness
Hypermodder

completemadness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm guessing that huge antiferromagnet (or whatever) has something to do with it not getting destroyed by EMR
completemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2007, 15:10   #9
Bluephoenix
Spoon? What spoon?

Bluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Current HDs are magnetic too, and they seem to do fine?

Faradays Cage to the rescue
a Harddrive is not that sensitive to magnetism when on or off because you have to drag a magnet across the disc (or across the side to it for perpendicular recording) to realign the cells and create read errors. with the MRAM, any severe EMI could cause a bit change (and subsequent read error) based upon the design shown.
Old 26th Aug 2007, 05:29   #10
completemadness
Hypermodder

Quote:
because you have to drag a magnet across the disc
Correct

Quote:
or across the side to it for perpendicular recording
I'm pretty sure that's wrong - you just have to move the particles through the magnetic field to destroy them, where you put the magnet (or the alignment of the cells) doesn't really matter
Old 26th Aug 2007, 07:15   #11
Bluephoenix
Spoon? What spoon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by completemadness View Post
I'm pretty sure that's wrong - you just have to move the particles through the magnetic field to destroy them, where you put the magnet (or the alignment of the cells) doesn't really matter
personally tried it with a half-dead disc, and it is indeed correct.
Old 26th Aug 2007, 10:47   #12
completemadness
Hypermodder

Quote:
personally tried it with a half-dead disc, and it is indeed correct.
whos right ? lol
Old 26th Aug 2007, 18:46   #13
Bluephoenix
Spoon? What spoon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by completemadness View Post
whos right ? lol
I meant that I tried running a magnet at 90 degrees to the disc, on a half dead perpendicular recording drive, and more sectors turned up with errors.

so that would be me who's right.

but you did have a point, which is why I resorted to physical testing in the first place!