1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News London Game Career Fair Dates Announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Sep 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I have a couple of friends who will be interested in this!

3. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I was at the fair last year. It's definitely useful but the most important thing I learned was that if you want to get in the games industry, you either have to know C++ very well or you have to work for Jagex. Also if you have written some good games already then you've got a much better chance of being taken seriously.

4. naokaji

naokaji whatever

i'm just not too sure if i would even want to work in the gaming industry anymore... i mean with all the threats of games becoming illegal...

5. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

That's the right attitude! :thumb:

6. naokaji

naokaji whatever

i know its not... (my sarcasm detector is still working)....

i know we gamers should stand up and fight... but these days you cant even admit in public that you own any games..

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Being a games developer must be pretty stressful, you work your ass off for a few years on a game and then some snot nosed journalist who may be having a bad day decides you game is not worth the plastic it comes in. Please don't buy it, the marketing fails and you're company folds.

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Good thing I take my job seriously then and fully acknowledge that responsibility.

Anyone who's read Masters of Doom, which tells the story of id Software, will know how hard the job can be. You spend ages working in semi-shitty conditions (Carmack wrote half of Doom while using a wooden sawhorse for a chair, in a shitty rented house they all shared) and have to work impossible hours in 'crunch mode' as its called.

Then you get a brief glimmer of glory if you are lucky, but more likely your work falls by the wayside unacknowledged. You get a few weeks holiday, then you do it all again and, unless you work to a high standard/at a good company or get promoted, you get very little actual creative input. It's why people like Ken Levine, David Doak and Pete Hines are so revered - their enthusiasm and ability makes it all a lot easier for developers from what I hear.

On the other hand though, it's a great industry to work in and the perks are fantastic.

9. tzang

tzang Traditional Nutter

Ooo, didn't know a games career fair existed in the UK... and about a 5 minute drive from home. I've been considering a career change to the games industry for quite a while, thanks for the heads up :)

Lets hope the working environment is as luxurious as Ion Storm Austin or Google :p

Tags: Add Tags