1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Quake Wars demo released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Sep 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Got the official torrent downloaded last night but didn't get a chance to play it. Torrent was flying might be worth a look as well as the official demos

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It's good, but I think it's missing something... I'm not sure. Maybe it's just that level throwing you in at the deep end without a word of explanation. Looks nice though. :D

4. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

The "mission" system is supposed to help with making it easier for new users. But personally I've found that they really didn't do a great job with it as it's still rather clunky/awkward to use, and is hardly intuitive.

"Press a button to select from a list of single sentence objectives, with no real description as to what they are or how difficult they might be" And once you have a mission you then have to try and figure out via the UI what has changed, where you must go, and exactly what you have to do.

By the time you have figured out how to use the mission system, you largely don't need it anymore.

As it was described in the previews, it was a great idea where if you opted in, the game would automatically assign you objectives that were contextually sensitive to what class and where you were, and help you complete them. Sadly it never really lived up to that (I suspect due to constraints to finally get the game shipped out the door, and handle the console versions).

So as it stands it's a very deep team/objective based shooter that can prove to be extremely frustrating if you're team isn't working together optimally, as you will just get steamrolled over.

And they also decided to cut in-game VOIP support, which is very unfortunate as even a game like BF2 had that, and it is MUCH more needed by a game like ET:QW.

As it stands you start off the game feeling alone and not knowing really what to do. As you progress you move to "still feeling alone, but knowing what to do and wishing your teamates would also know what to do"

Aggies

5. steveo_mcg

Bit, when are we getting your official review?

6. Ray06

Ray06 What's a Dremel?

Sweet downloading now, hope my old Geforce 6800 will play this ok.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

Hopefully before the game is released at the end of the month :)

8. steveo_mcg

9. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

alot of my clan was going to order it as was expecting it to be an replacement of BF2/2142, but game Looks good but playability is the same as ET:wolf so we all just remove are preorders for it

me wish i could Sue EA/Dice for dumping 80% of the user base when thay made 1.3v Server crash patch and did not fix it for 4-5 months (me thinks thay did that so more users whould Buy BF2142 when its realy an Full mod based of the BF2 1.4 patch then an game)

10. Hypno

Hypno What's a Dremel?

Was a beta tester and didn't find it much good to be honest. Rather play BF2/BF2142 as well as the mods for them.

11. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I played the beta 2 extensively and found the game to be pretty fun. The only real complaint I had in the beta was the Shield Generator stage of the mission, which seems to have been alleviated by allowing GDF to capture the spawn point on the far end of the bridge. My only other big problem with the game is how crappy the Tormentor and Anasi are. Very poor risk vs reward with those things.

12. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I maxed the settings and it doesn't look as good as the screenshots and hype showed it. The MegaTexture stuff seems to work though, I haven't seen a single repeating pattern.

13. steveo_mcg

I'm having a little bit of trouble getting smooth play on low settings!

14. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

the game is utter shite. Very dissapointed with it - it was suppose to be my next fix from battlefield 2142 but god am i let down by this. Its just like unreal 2004 with a mod on it.
    The vehicles are useless, they look and drive like cardboard boxes, you might as well have left them out entirely.

The maps are nice, they look lush and pretty but jesus the players blend right into them and you have no idea who the hell is shooting at you.

Its not good - this game is a letdown.

15. steveo_mcg

Meh, i quite enjoyed it, will probably buy it. Any one having problems with frame rates? I had to disable my secondary monitor to get it work at any thing past a craw, runs nicely now though.

16. mattthegamer463

I partially agree. The vehicles seem uneffective except the ATVs to get from spawn to the frontline, and when you get near an enemy you are tagged with an arrow and immediately fired upon from great distances, which is unrealistic. I would like to be a little more sneaky but the game won't allow it. BF2142 was more fun than this for sure. The strogg weapons are really annoying, they don't seem to be hurting anyone when I shoot them. Same goes for the human weapons but the human ones are a bit more effective.

I couldn't even connect to the main server. It told me to check for updates at enemyterritory.com but the site says nothing. I am disappointed overall. Pretty game though.

17. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I just got done playing the demo and like said above you really don't know whats going on. alot of the keybard Commands are different from all other FPS war games. No VOIP. I will second that the vehicles drive like a cardboard box. A big let down overall.
    BTW.
    nVidia NZONE was getting 500kb/s for me on the download.

18. boggsi

boggsi What's a Dremel?

I am shocked! I thought this game was freaking awesome. The engine is a massive improvement over BF2 / 2142, ill concede the mission system is clunky and it takes a small while to get to grips with what is going on. (shame they didnt use the intuitive v menu for mission selection). I dont agree with comments about more information, this is fast paced game, if u had to spend time reading information about objectives, it would already be done. The maps I doubt will above the scale were 3-4 plays will give you a general idea of what to do.

Imo, vehicle / man balance is perfect. Small scooters are very effective for movement, armed buggies definately good for movement means and or hoping into the turret for a quick kill. Tanks / mechs at first seemed very underpowered, but you just need to practice to get good in them. Ill be glad to see the end of the BF2142 walkers giving noobs a 20-0 K/D ratio, thats fine if you do that in the name of objectives, but BF2142 was just saturated will kill junkies who didn't care about the real game.

19. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I couldnt disagree more! sorry!

Battlefield 2142 had its bugs but its game engine was excellent. As for noobs getting 20-0 ratio - thats complete utter nonsense!. Getting 20-0 is very difficult and if you have problems taking down a mech, then you should perhaps try your hand as an engineer more often because i find mechs quite easy to take down, its not hard at all if you hit them at their weak spots - it takes 2-3hits max on the bottom underplate of their armour.

Quake has everyone on crack and speed running like they are on fast-forward! the vehicles are useless, they die insanely easy i find and its so chaotic you dont know whats going on half the time. I would think its about learning the game more but the controls are so awkward and aiming is non-existant as everyone just fires at anything that moves like mad men and you die faaaar too easily and with almost no explanation because you have no idea who shot you and from where. Its all too loose the feel of the game, what the hell is going on, you never once feel like your there in the battle.

20. mattthegamer463

This game has all the things I hate about Counter-Strike. I still don't understand why people enjoy this playing style.

Tags: Add Tags