bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Sep 2007, 12:12   #1
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
iPhone in the UK: O2, 269 and coming in November

Quote:
Picking one up or are you going to set this one out and see if Apple drops the price again in a couple of months? Or would you sooner buy an iPod touch and keep your existing phone?
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/09..._in_november/1
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2007, 12:21   #2
quack
\o/

quack has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Pay for a phone, on top of an 18 month contract? What a novel concept.
Old 18th Sep 2007, 12:24   #3
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
thats complete ripoff... really..

pay for the phone... + get forced into an overpriced contract... they should be jailed for robbery.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2007, 12:34   #4
Darkedge
Supermodder

Darkedge has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
cheaper than I thought it would be but still a ripoff. The iPonce crew will love it though, but they'd buy iShit
Darkedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2007, 12:37   #5
naokaji
whatever

wrong.. i wanted an iphone... until i've seen the price for the contracts your forced into to get one... so atleast one person wont buy one (me)..

but seeing how many they claim to have sold allready it seems as ther are indeed poeple who dont mind getting robbed.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
Old 18th Sep 2007, 12:39   #6
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
I pay £35 a month for my contract with Orange, but i have a better phone, which i didn't have to pay for. There will be those who will be willing to get it, and pay for it, but it is a rip off if you ask me.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2007, 12:40   #7
Hugo
Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Hugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In fairness the contract could be worse, £35pm for 200 mins/txts and unlimited data (including hotspots) isn't that bad a deal. Then of you minus the £200 of an iPod touch your paying £70 for the phone which is similar to a lot of similar-ish smartphones. But, it doesn't have 3G which is teh suck.

Last edited by Hugo; 18th Sep 2007 at 12:41. Reason: spelling
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2007, 12:42   #8
Mother-Goose
5 o'clock somewhere

Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mother-Goose is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
too big for a phone, not enough memory as a video ipod...no thank you, I'll have the K850i please.

MSI GS70 STEALTH
Mother-Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2007, 12:42   #9
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Your £35 a month goes much further on any other contract than this 200mins and 200txt is very poor at this price, for 20/25 quid you'd getter a better package with any other phone even with O2, its much more obviously subsidising (the already expensive phone), than you would normally see.
Old 18th Sep 2007, 12:50   #10
blackberry
What's a Dremel?

blackberry has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Think i'll stick with my Sony Ericsson W800i and my 512mb mp3 player, they prob both fit in my pocket, it's no big deal if they get stolen/broken as they are cheap to replace.

Any way i still don't get why people feel they need to carry around there music collections, all i do is make a playlist of what i'm into at the moment and it takes aboe 2 mins tops to put them on to my muvo.

I-Phone = waste of time rip off!
blackberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2007, 13:05   #11
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
now im going to have to persuade my GF That she really doesnt need this!
Old 18th Sep 2007, 13:13   #12
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Well, I shall be getting one, even with a 18 month contract. Here's why:

a) 200 mins & 200 txts per month is way over the top for me. I can't get through 75mins & handful of texts per month as it is.
b) My phones last on average 2 years before being replaced, and they're always on contract (I really can't be asked with pay as you go). So 18 months isn't an issue.
c) I'll be getting a iPod Touch for free, essentially. One that has a much better screen than that of the iTouch. So it has half the memory? iTouch has no phone, no bluetooth.
d) I'm an Apple Whore. I admit it freely. Does this make me an iPonce that buys iShit? Nah - I'm not touching AppleTV with a barge pole.
e) My old 30gig iPod Photo can stay as the Jag entertainment system. The iPhone will be mine. I don't need all my Music at work, and definatly not MrsGOOs - Lets just say her tastes differ from mine vastly...
f) Oh come on - it looks so friggin cool.
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
GreatOldOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2007, 13:17   #13
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How can they get away with saying unlimited data service and have a fair usage policy of a maximum of 1400 pages a day. That is not unlimited.

I hate this in ISP contracts as Ulmited means there is no limit. All the providers that sell a unlimited service and have a fair usage policy should be finded for false advertising.

Phone and contract is way too expensive. Im not going to pay just under a grand for a phone, i'll have a new Pc instead.
Old 18th Sep 2007, 13:18   #14
naokaji
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Well, I shall be getting one, even with a 18 month contract. Here's why:

a) 200 mins & 200 txts per month is way over the top for me. I can't get through 75mins & handful of texts per month as it is.
there's a problem....

the 35 contract basically makes you pay all those minutes and text... if you dont need them your far better off with a cheaper contract or pay as you go.

Quote:
Old 18th Sep 2007, 13:42   #15
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Still not an issue to me - I have that problem now on my current contract.

As for unlimited - for most people, I would have thought 1400 pages a day was as close to unlimited as makes no odds. I doubt I even do that sat at home on my laptop. I mean, you're not going to be using your phone as your main browser, are you? It's more a case of you need some info whislt your out and about, google it. Or visit a website you just found out about whilst away from home.
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
GreatOldOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2007, 13:51   #16
culley
Hypermodder

culley has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
O2 are going to be rolling out unlimited data on all there price plans from the 1st Oct, would it be better to get a Nokia N95, two of three 8GB SD cards or the hmmm iPhone...
culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2007, 13:56   #17
Atomic
Gerwaff

Atomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Paying that much for a phone and then having to pay high amounts for the contract aswell. Id expect more texts and minutes for that price.

Yes they can say it costs them to pay for the upgrades (EDGE being a downgrade to 3G but hey) to their network, but I don't feel the contract options are very competitive.
Atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2007, 13:56   #18
MiT
Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

MiT has yet to learn the way of the DremelMiT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother-Gooser View Post
too big for a phone, not enough memory as a video ipod...no thank you, I'll have the K850i please.
what he said

Waiting for the K850i. Too much money, i never listen to much music on the phone anyway, had a 2GB card in the old one, and only had 5 tracks!! I drive to work and back, so have the car stereo, when at home have the pc.

I think its all just a big fashion statement, "look what i got.."

35 a month, on T-mobile flex35 can get you more mins and txt!!

Not worth it!!!
i5 750 // 4GB DDR3 666MHz (7-7-7-19) // Gigabyte P55M-UD4 // Titan Fenrir // Saphire Toxic ATI Radeon HD 5850 // 1.7 TB HDD // Corsair HX 520 // Fractal R2 // Mionix Naos 5000 // Logitech G110 // Razer Goliathus // Logitech 5.1 surround // Turtle Beech X41 // Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD // Win8 Home 64bit
MiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2007, 14:03   #19
The Stig
Multimodder

The Stig has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OMG such a rip off no chance i`m getting one of those now.
You`d have to be extemely stupid to buy one of those and a shite O2 contract, or have more money than sense.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2007, 14:09   #20
culley
Hypermodder

culley has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't see why everyone has there "panties in a bunch", you get screwed over all the time on all mobile phone contracts maybe not to the extent as this one. You get to view 1400 pages a day on your iPhone which is the best deal out at the moment.

Apple products are always expensive, its just like when you think to yourself I want a Mac but then don't want to pay that £200-300 extra when you get an exact same specified machine from other manufacturer. We buy Apple products because the design, look & feel kick ass!
culley is offline   Reply With Quote