1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dualshock 3 confirmed, PS Home delayed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 20 Sep 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Sep 2007
  2. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Whats the use if of using a psp as a rear view camera less its mounted at the top of your screen? otherwise looking down at it would be ...awkward....they'll have to make some psp stand to sit on top of your telly :S

3. FooSai

FooSai What's a Dremel?

Traded PSP in for some extra Wii funds before release. 360 fills all my real console gaming need at the moment, and the Sony can bring out as much as they want for the PS3 (things which should be there anyway), but until these things include actual releases (not just proposed dates) of some truly mouth watering titles, I can think of many other things I'd rather put £400+ into (if I had spare cash like that to hand anyway)

The idea of the PSP for a rear view mirror is all fine and good if you have a small TV and sit a few feet from it, but who has a PS3 and doesn't play on a nice big TV from the other side of their living room... you try looking at your PSP screen from a few meters away, it's not going to happen. This is just a gimmick in my opinion that will not see any real use. The use of the PSP as a controller is also in the same boat, you loose decent analogue sticks, and 2 of your shoulder buttons. How is this good?

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

at least they are trying to make it better.....

5. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Reminds me of the Forza 2 Ultimate Setup with triple screen and a small car rear view screen mounted up top. Probably need to snag one of those mounts for my PSP to play GT5 with ha.

6. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

theres way more things that have been announced. why just these..

7. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

QFT, atleast Sony's filling that hole....I mean exceeding expectations is all that matters and so what if people don't think stuff is necessary because others may disagree....

I can't believe Home is being delayed again. Atleast it's just after Xmas, but still....that's going to be a huge add-on and could deter 360 purchases due to achievements and other features that it will finally allow.....but atleast they're taking their time on it and hopefully it will exceed everyone's expectations when it, too, debuts...

Also, finally rumbles back! and if Sony didn't think it was that big of a deal we wouldn't be seeing it earlier than expected...but like I've said: it's just an added feature that really isn't necessary, but because Sony promised it, it had better be here soon. I wonder how much heavier the controller will be vs. the current version?

8. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I don't understand why Japan gets it in 2 months and we have to wait near 6 months for rumble? I guess Play-Asia will be getting alot of business for Rumble SIXAXIS controller imports since it's too hard for Sony to give it to the rest of the world. That just irks the hell out of me. A major peripheral change, and we don't get it when Japan does? It's not like they need to localize the damn thing. I love Sony and it's nice they brought rumble back, but making the world wait while the Japanese enjoy it for 6 months leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i would laugh if MS made a copy of home before sony launched home.....

10. devdevil85

or how about a console that doesn't overheart while you're at it!

As for the rumble debuting 2 months earlier in Japan and "irking" the hell out of you: I completely understand, but there's probably a cause for it. Since Sony's best market is in their homeland, Japan, they are probably going to furnish them first and wait for supplies to increment enough to justify selling them in the US/UK since people will probably buy them up quicker than you can say "Fill that d*mn hole you dug Sony!"

11. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I think you should have taken the opportunity to re-design the controller. The sticks gave me cramp as its not a natural position.

12. devdevil85

I hear you mike. A redesign would've been cool and maybe a little bit needed, but you'd be amazed at how many people live and breathe for that Dual Shock controller and how it needs to stay the same, but either way I completely understand where you're coming from....maybe it's brand recognition or something that's keeping it that way....idk

13. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

Whats keeping it that way is simply sonys business strategy of 'If it aint broke, dont fix it, if it is broke, act like it isn't until enough people yell at us to change it.'

I mean, look at their online, the Boomerang, Sixasis motion detection, Rootkits, Security flawed thumbdrives, PS2 class action lawsuits, PS1 disc read errors, etc.

In every single case, sony didn't do crap to fix any problems until people found out about it and kicked up a stink. Don't even get me STARTED on www.alliwantforxmasisapsp.com

The fact is, sony aren't the least bit interested in making quality products. For them quality is something they get forced into by the market. They are the epitome of the soulless corporation. The PS1 was made to work, the PS2 was made to be cheap. The PS3 is made to be reliable, only because sony dont want the PR nightmare that was the PS2 class action lawsuit.

14. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

15. devdevil85

atleast they learned from M$'s mistake on the reliability, eh? Speaking of that, what do you have to say about M$? or how about the rest of the corporate world? are they as "soulless" as Sony? I love your rationality Bizarre....

Last edited: 20 Sep 2007
  16. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

*sigh*

First, calling them M$ doesn't make you look cool or anything, it just makes you look like another sheep.

Cause y'see, heres the rub. While I know Microsoft are a soulless corporation, while I know that IE is full of holes and that the Zune is worthless, while I know that the 360 is a smoking hole in the ground called failure rate, I actually quite like some of Microsofts products. For all the blow and bluster about Linux and Mac, I'd still be using windows if I had the choice. Not because its memory management is any better, not because I get a warm happy feeling from using open source, not because I want to be told how I should interpret style. I would be using it, simple because I've used Mac and Linux, and in fact have a dual boot right now. And I still prefer windows. For all its flaws, its still far and away superior to linux and mac.

As for learning from microsoft, I don't think so. I think sony were simply well aware of what would happen to their reputation if they released another console that went bust too often. Sure, the 360's release and catastrophic failure rate won't have done anything but strengthen that decision, but I think sony would have made the main decision long before they knew anything about the Xbox. Consoles aren't developed that quickly.

Secondly, Microsoft have their flaws. I can list them from top to bottom from ME to Zune. Windows 9x codebase was atrocious, and ME should never have been released.

Alternatively to that though, Windows XP/2000 and Vista are an ASTONISHING display of coding. Sure, there can be arguments about how its managed through a registry and so on, and they're valid. BUT. Consider this. Mac can support only certain hardware and software, a tenth of a percentile as much as Windows at most. That means that for all the talk on how reliable mac is compared to windows, its not that great an achievement. They have lists of what they need to support and they can simply code in very specific fixes for specific hardware. Pretty simple for a team of developers who know exactly what hardware they're using.

Linux supports MORE hardware and software than Windows, particularly hardware, with full PowerPC and Sun processor support, on top of all graphics cards on the market. Except it does so extremely poorly. My 6800GS for example doesn't work correctly with the Default linux NV drivers, which means a trip to recovery mode after install to go through dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to VESA, then to install Nvidia's own drivers. The linux drivers for ATi are atrocious, and 3DFX and Matrox aren't much better. (And don't get me started on the obscure Hercule Kyro Prophet II I struggled with for years)

Upshot is, linux is a great idea with a lot of potential, but it does so much that it effectively can't do any of it. Even a mouse with more than 3 buttons needs manual configuration through terminal. I have an A level in computing and I just can't be bothered with the ridiculous amounts of configuration needed to get anything working in linux.

Windows on the other hand, supports hardware from decades upon decades and company upon company. It supports 90% of it out of the box with no configuration, and 99% of it with a driver install. Because theres that much hardware, windows has no choice but to code universally according to standards used by majority hardware, and then add specific fixes later. With that taken into account, windows is far and away the best operating system. Its also the most customizable due to its huge software base, its the most legacy compatible due to its compatibility modes and long reaching driver databases, and considering how much its targeted, its the most security conscious too. If the amount of attention lavished upon windows were placed onto linux or Mac, they'd more than likely crumble, despite not running as root all the time and having secure non registry operated software control. A simple keylogger alone could potentially allow a linux system to be crippled, as so much of it requires you to enter your password.

Apple are beyond even Sony or Microsoft though. The difference is that apple have a better marketing department and take less risks. Apple are actually in the enviable position of being able to tell their users what to think. Think you're cool? Nope, not unless you have a mac, iTunes (Worst POS software I've ever used from a larger company), an iPod, a BOSE docking station for it, some tinny portable iPod speakers, and you use Safari to browse! Better get those quick or you're uncool!

In all honesty, I don't trust any large companies these days. the closest I get to it is Ibanez, and thats only because I can't afford to have guitars custom made. My lesser of the evils choice is usually microsoft, although I love my Creative Zen (But, would rather use an Auzentech soundcard, because creatives customer support blows)

17. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Wii-owns-all tbh. :p

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

touché.....

19. devdevil85

calling Sony "soulless" doesn't make you cool "or anything" either, which I guess inevitably "makes you look like another sheep" as well. As for "M$", everybody and their mom knows what it means; it's called "having a sense of humor" which I can see you don't have. Anyways, thanks for the reading!

Last edited: 21 Sep 2007
  20. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

[delete me, please. NO WAIT! not me, this reply I mean!!! THIS REPLY... noooooo....]

Tags: Add Tags