bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd Oct 2007, 15:01   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Update: Windows Update update breaks updates

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/10...eaks_updates/1

The stealth update to Windows Update last month managed to break something - the ability to update Windows after using XP's recover feature.

Old 2nd Oct 2007, 15:05   #2
Ferret
What's a Dremel?

Ferret has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
We need a windows update uptate update!
Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 15:08   #3
oddball walking
...!

oddball walking has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Or an updated update, which reminds me my updates aren't up to date.
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 16:39   #4
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
lol
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 16:57   #5
Drexial
Supermodder

Drexial has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
windows updates updates are never up to date as they should be updated to keep the updates up to date.
Drexial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 18:06   #6
gvblake22
mmm, yep

gvblake22 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Words can hardly describe this situation, so I'll do it with little pictures courtesy of bit-tech...
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 20:57   #7
Buzzons
Mod Master

Buzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
What's wrong with this, they fixed the issue within a DAY! That is good going. There are bugs in some things that remain unfixed for months/years/forever (oracle!)

Updates to the update engine are perfectly fair, you would want the latest one when you decide to get updates etc. (Also, only users with "non legit versions" of windows will have it disabled at home.. offices would uses SUS servers.. so that isn't an issue here)
Buzzons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 22:41   #8
completemadness
Hypermodder

completemadness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzons View Post
oracle!
I love how you say oracle has bugs that last forever/long time

But most of the "non-critical" bugs in windows takes months, if not years to get addressed
I guess the only reasons this was fixed so much is that it breaks a fixing solution for windows XP (which is pretty important for a MS OS) and because after the anger at the update happening, forcing a bugged piece of software on people would have caused an uproar
completemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 22:45   #9
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by completemadness View Post
I love how you say oracle has bugs that last forever/long time

But most of the "non-critical" bugs in windows takes months, if not years to get addressed
I guess the only reasons this was fixed so much is that it breaks a fixing solution for windows XP (which is pretty important for a MS OS) and because after the anger at the update happening, forcing a bugged piece of software on people would have caused an uproar
Uh...oracle DOES have bugs that seem to last forever...dunno if you really ever used it, but yeesh.
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 23:43   #10
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
1- I'm confused, the article talks about winXP or Vista. I see a Vista screen shot.
2- WinXP reparation is crap. It usually creates more problem than it repairs (form my experience) and takes the SAME TIME (close the the minute) then doing a fresh re-install including formating and re-installing yourself all the applications and doing the updates.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 23:43   #11
woodshop
UnSeenly

woodshop has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i never wana see the word 'update' again...
woodshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 08:30   #12
completemadness
Hypermodder

completemadness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Dego View Post
Uh...oracle DOES have bugs that seem to last forever...dunno if you really ever used it, but yeesh.
I'm just saying, hes bashing oracle when you can bash XP/Vista/MS on topic!
completemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 08:37   #13
Edvuld
Multimodder

Edvuld has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
2- WinXP reparation is crap. It usually creates more problem than it repairs (form my experience) and takes the SAME TIME (close the the minute) then doing a fresh re-install including formating and re-installing yourself all the applications and doing the updates.
I guess you don't have that many programs installed then... It's a breeze for those of us that sits a whole day or two configuring all the installed applications ><

Edvuld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 13:25   #14
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
38 applications installed (just counted).

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB

Last edited by GoodBytes; 3rd Oct 2007 at 13:56.
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 20:19   #15
Edvuld
Multimodder

Edvuld has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ok, I had about 71 of them, anyways, I'm picky about everything and all settings beeing "just right", so it takes me at least a good 8 hours setting everything up on my normal system.

With windows repair I could even exchange the mainboard and CPU without any problem at all, and it'll only take maximum 2 hours total to get the drivers installed and win repaired

Edvuld is offline   Reply With Quote