bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 5th Oct 2007, 10:32   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Zalman Reserator XT

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...reserator_xt/1

Everyone loves a bit of watercooling, and the original Zalman Reserator was a popular hit, so what does the updated Reserator XT add to the equation? Is it worth the hassle or do you just want to buy it so you can stroke it all day?

Old 5th Oct 2007, 11:39   #2
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Cool - I was hoping to see a review of this on Bit-Tech at some point in the near future, as I was pondering this kit yesterday. I've only found two other reviews, both of which were singing the praises of the Res XT. Only problem is, when I see a review talk about something that highly, I get kinda suspicious about it not being impartial. Anyway, that's water under the bridge. I liked the review here precisely because you voiced your concerns.

One thing I would like to see, though; as Zalman sell a waterblock for the 8800GTX, I would love to see how it copes with a Core 2 Quad (or that Presler EE) and an 8800. Would make my mind up one way or the other for getting the Zalman VF-1000 and RHS-88, or going slightly higher and thinking more about this Res XT...
Old 5th Oct 2007, 11:55   #3
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Well, I love it, but I wouldn't pay £260-odd quid for it. But if I was inclined to spend that kind of money on an external wcing kit it would probably beat the Koolance on looks alone.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2007, 12:08   #4
TomD22
Modder

TomD22 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I second P-S's comment - I'd like to hear how it copes with a 8800GTS and a quad-core, if you could find the time to add that to the loop...
TomD22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2007, 12:35   #5
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
Well, I love it, but I wouldn't pay 260-odd quid for it. But if I was inclined to spend that kind of money on an external wcing kit it would probably beat the Koolance on looks alone.
I'm just hunting down reviews of that Koolance now. Yeah, I don't really care for the way it looks either - and I think that top LED lighting on the res would drive me insane in short order. Maybe I'll wait a while and see if this one gets any cheaper. Still, I imagine that all-in-one kits like this don't really ever drop in price significantly.
Old 5th Oct 2007, 12:48   #6
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD22 View Post
I second P-S's comment - I'd like to hear how it copes with a 8800GTS and a quad-core, if you could find the time to add that to the loop...
I don't have the 8800 block and the 90nm P4EE is the same thermal envelope as a quad core

The kits don't drop in price, and Scan do it for 250ish - check the price grabber link in the article. The thing is, you can't build an external kit like this for the same money and looks - I wish they just sold the case and electronics "raw" though.
Old 5th Oct 2007, 13:06   #7
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
I don't have the 8800 block and the 90nm P4EE is the same thermal envelope as a quad core

The kits don't drop in price, and Scan do it for 250ish - check the price grabber link in the article. The thing is, you can't build an external kit like this for the same money and looks - I wish they just sold the case and electronics "raw" though.
Yeah, I had a feeling you were going to say that.

On the 8800 block front - I'm not bothered who the block is made by, I just want temps with the two heat-monsters in the loop from a site where I trust the results of tests.

I'm so indecisive when it comes to watercooling. Every time I think I'll pull the trigger, a friend that already has watercooling has a bad experience...
Old 5th Oct 2007, 13:59   #8
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
This looks like an awesome looking case, and i love the dials and readouts on the front, so stylish.

When it comes to watercooling, i find its about getting it right the first time. I have been very fortunate when it comes to it, ive only had 1 leak, which was minor, with no other problems. But, with my leak i was very lucky that ATI X600 cards are built like tanks and can allow a lake of water to sit on it while the system is running.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2007, 22:17   #9
adidas
Multimodder

adidas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm very suprised by the comment at the end of the article: "For as little as £20-£40, you can pick up a massive piece of aluminium and copper that's very low noise and performs to within a few degrees of water".

Anyone cares to elaborate? My understanding is that when OC'ing at high clocks it's either water or Peltier, since air will get you nowhere.
adidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2007, 16:59   #10
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
looks really good but it's way too much price wise
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2007, 17:07   #11
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidas View Post
I'm very surprised by the comment at the end of the article: "For as little as £20-£40, you can pick up a massive piece of aluminium and copper that's very low noise and performs to within a few degrees of water".

Anyone cares to elaborate? My understanding is that when OC'ing at high clocks it's either water or Peltier, since air will get you nowhere.
With a watercooling kit like this, it's geared for having a single fan take the heat out the system making it low noise - not for performance. It will provide you with both to a better degree, but is it 200's worth of "better degree"? You can buy a Noctua or TT MaxOrb or Scythe, TT-120s for example - large coolers with a single 120mm fan.
Old 6th Oct 2007, 18:01   #12
Otto69
Supermodder

Otto69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
New member, longtime reader here from across the pond....

I'm currently working on a new box using an Antec P180B, and trying to make it quiet. I've been pondering water cooling, but it seems to me that outside the box solutions like this still require at least one low speed fan to exhaust misc heat.

That said I'm wondering if the guys who disassembled the XT box con comment on:

a) the ducting of the air flow. I.e. is it possible that the fan is pulling air from around the edges of the radiators to a significant degree?

b) options for more or different fans? Maybe 2 attached to the radiators sucking filtered air in from the rear of the box where the stock fan is currently?
Otto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2007, 18:20   #13
Otto69
Supermodder

One other thing I just noticed in the pics:

The radiators being used are the less efficient tubes versions, not the automotive style of radiator. Do any manufacturers of water cooling components make automotive style radiators in this size, preferably of aluminum, unpainted?
Old 6th Oct 2007, 18:43   #14
ledbythereaper
Multimodder

ledbythereaper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Right, considering to cool an 8800GTS and a E6300 and get decent temps you need a 2x120 rad, I don't think this will cope well, tempted to get this and the zalman silent 8800 cooler though.
ledbythereaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2007, 20:52   #15
Otto69
Supermodder

Hmm.. why not build a proper one using aluminum (or wood, or plastic), with decent radiators and the gauges and pumps of choice?
Old 6th Oct 2007, 23:04   #16
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto69
New member, longtime reader here from across the pond....

I'm currently working on a new box using an Antec P180B, and trying to make it quiet. I've been pondering water cooling, but it seems to me that outside the box solutions like this still require at least one low speed fan to exhaust misc heat.

That said I'm wondering if the guys who disassembled the XT box con comment on:

a) the ducting of the air flow. I.e. is it possible that the fan is pulling air from around the edges of the radiators to a significant degree?

b) options for more or different fans? Maybe 2 attached to the radiators sucking filtered air in from the rear of the box where the stock fan is currently?
The radiators are pretty solidly held against the sides but they aren't sealed in with a shroud. There's no where to put extra fans in it unless you mod a three way connector from the one single one used to power the 14cm jobbie. However if you're putting three fans in it you might as well just put three fans in your case for the same effect.
Old 7th Oct 2007, 04:06   #17
Otto69
Supermodder

I was thinking more of substituting 2 120mm fans for the one larger fan.

The design continues to enthuse me, but has some problems. First, there's no dust filters on the radiators or the fan. Second is the problem of sub optimal radiators. Finally is the annoying issue with any external solution like this to have to run a fan in the CPU case to exhaust mobo heat.

I can't help but wonder aloud about a purpose built computer case thatthe XT would rest on. A sort of wide, flat case with no internal fans, just ventilation. Just a pipedream so far though.
Old 9th Oct 2007, 17:17   #18
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Just a quick note: I came to check the dimensions of the unit, and I can't really belive what it ways in the review: "Size: 76mm x 436mm x 369mm" 176 or 276 maybe?
Old 11th Apr 2008, 14:34   #19
agentx250
Banned

agentx250 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i have one of these and i love it, it keeps my q6600 and my oc'ed 8800gts 320 cool. although i do have an aditional dual core rad inside my case between the cpu and the gpu. but still looks great and performs great.
agentx250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2009, 16:26   #20
Jeff_Cote
HTPC Freak

Jeff_Cote has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Zalman Reserator XT died

I bit the bullet about a year and a half ago and bought the Zalman Reserator XT, along with extra coolant for the many years of service I would expect from something so expensive. I put it into my HTPC because I wanted to minimize any ambient noise while watching movies. It worked like a dream for about a year....

The manual suggests changing the Zalman ZM-G200 coolant about once a year. Around that time, the fluid level meter was showing the coolant was running extremely low, and finally started alarming. I pulled the Zalman off my rig, flushed the remaining old coolant out, and refilled it with the proper mixture of water-to-coolant. Since then, it hasn't worked right. The coolant level meter still shows it's almost empty despite the fact I've filled it to the brim. The coolant itself seems to coagulate, which is causing the pump to struggle pushing coolant through the system. I had to finally turn off the "automatic flow control" and crank the manual flow to its maximum so the Reserator wouldn't turn itself off and begin alarming. (Since it's an HTPC, it's never turned off. That would be a heck of a thing to come home to a melted down rig because my water cooling system decided to shut off.) This past weekend, it quit pushing coolant altogether, forcing me to yank the whole thing out and replace it with noisy internal fans.

I contacted Zalman about the issue. Their suggestion: Purchase a third party pump and put it in-line with the Reserator to control coolant flow. Not quite the helpful, customer-oriented answer I was looking for.

So in short, I bought a beautiful looking, rather expensive, coolant-filled paperweight. I truly hate to say it, but I would suggest to folks they buy something a lot less expensive and more modular, so if one thing fails, it's easily replaced without junking the whole kit.

Good luck!
Jeff_Cote is offline   Reply With Quote