bit-tech.net

Old 10th Oct 2007, 16:50   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Open UT3 PC Beta soon

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/10...pc_beta_soon/1

Mark Rein of Epic has announced that an open beta of Unreal Tournament 3 will be available within two weeks for the PC. OSX and Linux versions are on the way. Check out the details within.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 16:57   #2
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Its interesting that both QW as and UT are doing Linux ports, i know they usually do but they must be a market for them, wonder why other co's don't?

oh yeah... cool! Can't wait for this
Old 10th Oct 2007, 17:49   #3
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
yeah it interesting does any one game on linux here?
Old 10th Oct 2007, 17:57   #4
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nah my linux box is a modest powered silent runner.
Old 10th Oct 2007, 18:04   #5
DrFreeze
Minimodder

DrFreeze has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb
yeah it interesting does any one game on linux here?
if only the mobility x200 would be supported for 3d mode by atis closed source drivers....

my main rig runs windows, although i might just get a linux partition going, the only real thing holding me back right now is that both my data disks are NTFS
DrFreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 18:24   #6
Techno-Dann
Disgruntled kumquat

Techno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I game on Linux. It's one of the reasons that I really like Unreal, actually.
Techno-Dann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 18:54   #7
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreeze
my main rig runs windows, although i might just get a linux partition going, the only real thing holding me back right now is that both my data disks are NTFS
I'm pretty sure there are now Linux NTFS modules providing full read/write access
Old 10th Oct 2007, 18:59   #8
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
I would guess no Mac this side of a £1500 G5 desktop beastie would have enough grunt to play this. Macbook Pro peeps are probably out of luck
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 19:08   #9
Nikumba
Supermodder

Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Im pretty sure since the first UT it has been avalible on Linux so news that UT3 is there isnt suprsing and the fact GoW is made by Epic again not a suprise.

However it will be interetsing if other UT3 Engined games come with Linux versions. I know WoW has one, well it did during the beta but then disappeared but I think with the rise of distros like Ubuntu and nVidia and ATI getting their act together on drivers we might get some more games on it

Kimbie
Nikumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 20:05   #10
KoenVdd
Multimodder

KoenVdd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm looking more towards this game than Crysis (also because it'll be probably 3 years before I get a machine good enough to run Crysis, not that my machine (P4 3.2 2GB x600) will run this any better). Far Cry was a great game, but also had enough to keep the game from achieving history, I'm just keeping my hopes low so I won't be disappointed in any case.
KoenVdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 22:04   #11
TTmodder
Hammertime

TTmodder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Seems like if all newer games are ported to linux the only big obstacle in terms as linux as main OS would be native ntfs support in the kernel(S)
TTmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 22:42   #12
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
id say its more the video driver then any thing els makeing the game work, the games will be OpenGL i guess so thay should work very well
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 23:27   #13
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Its quite ironic, ATI tended to be stronger with OpenGL games than nVidia, but ATI linux drivers are completely rubbish. I think the NTFS thing is going to become largely mute once Vista sp2 comes mainstream with WinFS(?)
Old 11th Oct 2007, 00:24   #14
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
yay, this is a great alternative to playing Halo 3, and PGR 4, and C&C Yuris Revenge:P

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 04:36   #15
Rebourne
Supermodder

Rebourne has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
YAY!
Rebourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 14:22   #16
keir
S p i t F i r e

keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.keir is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
pew pew, everyone wins!
keir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 17:45   #17
devdevil85
Hypermodder

devdevil85 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
The PS3 port is, according to Rein, looking like it will still ship alongside the PC version of the game
My friends are going to be happy about this news.......I seriously can't wait to play this game using the M+K setup on the PS3 just to see how well it functions.......man it feels good to have friends in high places that can afford setups like these.....
devdevil85 is offline   Reply With Quote