bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Oct 2007, 21:47   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
MSI details its 790FX Phenom/Quad CF board

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/10...phenom_board/1

Phenom may not be here quite yet, but MSI is already lining up its 790FX board: the K9A2 Platinum. It supports QuadFire and AM2+.

Old 10th Oct 2007, 21:50   #2
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

E.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run Crysis
Wow. I like the heatpipe array. Looks nice on layout too.
LilyPC V.2 - in progressBIO-A10 - MotM Jul. '12 Nominee Loser!"Movie Sign!" - in progressCheckMate - MotM May '09 Nominee Loser!BluBawx I - MotY '09 Nominee Loser!Lumière Noire - MotM Apr. '08 Nominee Loser!NOTalis w/ MNPCTech"Building Better Worlds" - MotM Feb. '08 Nominee Loser!
E.E.L. Ambiense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 22:04   #3
mattthegamer463
Mod Master

mattthegamer463 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I still think 4 PCIE slots is a waste still. It taunts us of 4-card SLi.

I'd like to see AMD get back in the game with Phenom. Competition drives innovation.
Lian-Li PC7: C2D E6600, XFX 8800GTS 640MB, Corsair 2GB PC6400, 320GB Seagate Barracuda, EVGA 680i SLi, OCZ 850W
mattthegamer463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 23:11   #4
2JSC
Multimodder

2JSC has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegamer463 View Post

I'd like to see AMD get back in the game with Phenom. Competition drives innovation.
You mean 4-Card Crossfire - Thats what I want! But yes - I am really awaiting Phenom so I can maybe build a new system then.
Old 10th Oct 2007, 23:23   #5
MonkeyNutZ
Crysis Fiend

MonkeyNutZ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Screw this, I can't wait for a mATX 790 board.
inCrysis.com - The largest Crysis fan site on the internets. (We're also #1 on Google for "Crysis")
Project: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=147127
MonkeyNutZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 23:41   #6
devdevil85
Hypermodder

devdevil85 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegamer463
It's called futureproofing.....as long as performance scales when adding more cards, then you're set for longer than single- or even double-slot solutions offered currently....also, if I remember right, CF allows you to use your older card w/o bottlenecking newer cards you would decide to upgarde to later in the future....(I hope I'm right on that because I don't like SLI's offerings of only being able to use the same card configuration)

Futureproofing is my main concern when buying a mobo, so features like DDR3 support will need to be offered before I will decide to upgrade.....Phenom should be good, so we'll have to see what AMD has up their sleeves....

Last edited by devdevil85; 10th Oct 2007 at 23:49.
devdevil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 00:01   #7
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah, because futureproofing by giving us useless slots is that much more important than futureproofing by giving MORE SATA.

There's one other problem - that board has 32 lanes, and that's it.

Which means, try using that x1 slot with all 4 x16s in use. Nothing should happen. It's also why there's a promise PCI contoller...
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 00:29   #8
chrisb2e9
Dont do that...

chrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysis
how many sata ports do you need?
anyway, looks like a nice board. and thats coming from an intel fanboy.
Old 11th Oct 2007, 01:19   #9
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Where can i fit an alternative Sound Card if i have 4 x2xxx series cards? Other than that, looks a nice board, and as chrisb2e9 said, thats comming from an intel guy.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 03:16   #10
MasterYoda34
What's a Dremel?

MasterYoda34 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Probably the best board ever to come from AMD/ATI.
MasterYoda34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 03:19   #11
tech3312
Where's my dremel o.0

tech3312 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i kno what will be awesome but highly there going to do it 4 8800 gtx 768MB graphic card quad sli
that would be awesome

i have two imangine 4
tech3312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 03:47   #12
Kiet-the-Kougah
What's a Dremel?

Kiet-the-Kougah has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't know if anyone noticed but MSI has finally gotten on the bandwagon with the coloring of their RAM slots. No longer will you need to remember to put sticks in opposite colors! Kudos to the people at MSI who finally got that small but important (at least for beginners) detail done.
Kiet-the-Kougah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 05:31   #13
noobarino
Minimodder

noobarino has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
yay

Last edited by noobarino; 11th Oct 2007 at 05:32. Reason: oops
noobarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 06:54   #14
culley
Hypermodder

culley has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulatin
Yeah, because futureproofing by giving us useless slots is that much more important than futureproofing by giving MORE SATA.

There's one other problem - that board has 32 lanes, and that's it.

Which means, try using that x1 slot with all 4 x16s in use. Nothing should happen. It's also why there's a promise PCI contoller...
Who knows what ATI/Nvidia are releasing next year, supposedly they are both releasing new versions of the current high end graphics cards at 65nm which will make them much smaller, They could also be pushing for phsyics cards aswell later on next year, and even sound cards will be pushed onto PCI-E soon, and lanes are more capable now there 2.0.

It's got 32 lanes spread over PCI-E 2.0, the other two are x4 PCI and the other one is 1x PCI, if i am correct in thinking.

Also who needs more sata ports nowaday anyway, you've got 1TB drives and 6 is enough for that matter.

EDIT:

After do some researching i found some articles to back me up, The PCI-E is using the RD790 chipset, while normal PCI is using the old SB600 chipset, so to conclude there would not be no disadvantage using four PCI-E lanes and using a x1 or x4 PCI.

I also think your abit of an AMD hater to be honest, lol.

Last edited by culley; 11th Oct 2007 at 07:39.
culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 07:32   #15
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Phenom!!!!!!!!!

*cant wait*

i wanna wait for Nvidia's Nforce780/790 tho... coz im still an SLI sucker and nvidia fanboi... but Phenom is definitely the way to go. or, well, the way to wait gotta wait for some performance comparison!

and DFI's offering cheesecake!!
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA 660Ti - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 09:36   #16
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Yeah! imagine 4x 8800GTX in your system, and then imagine you montly electric bill...

It must be a shocking imagination!
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 10:22   #17
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by culley View Post
Also who needs more sata ports nowaday anyway, you've got 1TB drives and 6 is enough for that matter.
Me, for a start.

It's not all about sata hard drives y'know. I have four of them atm, together with 3 optical (dvd) sata drives. I have embraced sata connectors, mainly because they are a lot tidier than ide cables. Other reasons are they allow more airflow, they can be tucked away easily and they are easier to plug in, etc.

I can't understand why there's an ide port on that board and why there aren't eight sata ports, myself. And as for the floppy port - sure, it probably costs a tenth of a penny to put it on, but with boards being able to boot from a usb drive or be able to access a usb device in bios, why insist on including it?
Old 11th Oct 2007, 10:33   #18
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiet-the-Kougah View Post
I don't know if anyone noticed but MSI has finally gotten on the bandwagon with the coloring of their RAM slots. No longer will you need to remember to put sticks in opposite colors! Kudos to the people at MSI who finally got that small but important (at least for beginners) detail done.
No, you still need to put sticks in opposite colours - AMD dual channel memory is next to each other, Intel is stagnated.

I moaned at the motherboard product managers when I was in ShangHai and we had another motherboard PM from Taiwan come down to the offices a few weeks ago and I moaned again at this exact point but they still seem to have ignored me

The promise controller is there because SB600 has only 4 native SATA ports, not 6 like has been standard for ages elsewhere.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 10:37   #19
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm also a little disappointed to see only six SATA ports... I'm also kinda ambivalent about seeing them vertically mounted. Other than that, the board looks pretty good.
Old 11th Oct 2007, 10:47   #20
teamtd11
*Custom User Title*

teamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
AMD dual channel memory is next to each other, Intel is stagnated.
Is this on am2 aswell? because im using a 5000+ brisbane, and my memory is [empty][stick][empty][stick] and thats dual channel for me
teamtd11 is offline   Reply With Quote