bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th Oct 2007, 13:25   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Intel demos mobile quad-core CPU

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/10...uad-core_cpu/1

Intel kicked off IDF Taiwan with a bang by introducing a new mobile quad-core CPU and two new mobile computing cooling technologies

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2007, 13:31   #2
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Third para - "The cooling system is based off of compressor technology" - replace with 'on'.

Next person who uses 'off of' gets pushed through an infinite portal.

Very interesting tech!
Old 15th Oct 2007, 14:12   #3
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
While 45W may be impressive for a quad core CPU, it is hardly frugal in the context of mobile CPUs. And a phase change cooled laptop?! Welcome to the future where you need a car battery to power your laptop for more than 5 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenco_uk
Third para - "The cooling system is based off of compressor technology" - replace with 'on'.

Next person who uses 'off of' gets pushed through an infinite portal.
Seconded. Horrible phrase *shudder*.
Old 15th Oct 2007, 16:35   #4
Faulk_Wulf
Internet Addict

Faulk_Wulf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
1) What's wrong with "off of". Obviously by asking this, I am not a grammar Nazi. It seems perfectly common place to me.

2) Regarding the battery life, wouldn't you be able to disable the extra cores when you didn't want to use them to conserve power. I mean if you're just sitting in a restaurant posting on a message board or typing up your homework assignment, you don't need all four cores. (Well maybe for Vista? ) But seriously, I thought that dual-cores could already toggle between using one or both-- Surely using just one or two cores would put the battery life in a comparable field to what's already on the market. Please correct me if I am wrong!
Faulk_Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2007, 17:15   #5
drakanious
Minimodder

drakanious has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So it's a laptop with a dumbed down phase-change cooling system? Anyone else think that's absolutely awesome?
drakanious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2007, 17:51   #6
zerolock
Minimodder

zerolock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sounds totally sweet, hope they will get it out for sale soon..
zerolock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2007, 18:29   #7
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulk_Wulf View Post
1) What's wrong with "off of". Obviously by asking this, I am not a grammar Nazi. It seems perfectly common place to me.

2) Regarding the battery life, wouldn't you be able to disable the extra cores when you didn't want to use them to conserve power. I mean if you're just sitting in a restaurant posting on a message board or typing up your homework assignment, you don't need all four cores. (Well maybe for Vista? ) But seriously, I thought that dual-cores could already toggle between using one or both-- Surely using just one or two cores would put the battery life in a comparable field to what's already on the market. Please correct me if I am wrong!
(1) It just doesn't make any sense as a phrase and uses too many words to convey a simple idea. Something is "based on" something else. That is the correct English construction. Why should it be "based off of" something else? Even if the word "off" were appropriate in this situation (which it isn't), the word "of" is ALWAYS superfluous and nonsensical - e.g. "he jumped off of the wall" should just be "he jumped off the wall" or "he jumped from the wall". I know it's perfectly common in the US, but it's one of those phrases, like "gotten" instead of "got" (other than in the phrase "ill-gotten gains") that just jars in the ears of English speakers from outside the US. I'm sure we British have some phrases that annoy our fellow Anglophones from across the water.

(2) I don't know. To be fair, the latest generation of Intel processors is phenomenally power efficient compared to what came before, and I understand that they have very low power states and each core can to a limited extent power parts of itself down independently of other cores. However, each core, even in idle state, still requires some juice, so you will definitely not get the same battery life out of a quad core laptop as you would from an otherwise identical dual core running the same tasks. That having been said, you will get more processing power so processor intensive things will happen more quickly, and the difference in battery life on non-intensive tasks might not be too horrendous.
Old 15th Oct 2007, 19:37   #8
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm thinking: 45W quad-core CPUs in a desktop. Two of them still would generate only the same amount of heat as a standard quad-core CPU now... nice.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2007, 19:47   #9
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
honestly its a laptop, sure the idea of a quad core is neat but is it really needed??? I prefer portability and battery life then being attached to a power plug still, if I wanted that then I would build a PC or buying one of those over priced gaming (desktop replacement) laptops which Im sure is where this core is aimed at but even still not for me.
• DimasTech Test Bench • Black ICE Triple 120 Rad • Dual Bay Res/Pump • DD Fill Port & Res • D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block • ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo • AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz • 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory • (2) AMD 6870 XFire • (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 • (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE • Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive • ASUS XONAR DX2 • 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD • (2) 23" ASUS LCD • ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER • (4) NOCTUA P12 • (2) NOCTUA P14 • 1000W ZALMAN PSU • WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 •
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2007, 22:36   #10
tzang
Traditional Nutter

tzang has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As much as I enjoy high performance laptops where I can do serious work and play real games away from my desktop, manufacturers really need to work on the overall size. For example, the latest Dell XPS M1730 is bigger and far heavier than my M1710, which is already heavy enough and moving away from my extremely portable HP laptop was a mission itself. Sure, they have SLi and PhysX but carrying a laptop almost as heavy as my weekly Sainsbury shopping isn't what I call... portable or convenient.

Just over 2 hours battery life on my M1710 vs my 4 hours battery life on my old HP and with a 130ish watt power requirement on the M1710, even an in-car charger struggles or refuses to work on it at times. Manufacturers need to look up the meaning of the word laptop

Dell XPS M1710 T7200 | 4GB DDR2 | 7950GTX | 320GB HDD - Apple MacBook T8300 | 4GB DDR3 | 9400M GS | 250GB HDD
tzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2007, 23:18   #11
completemadness
Hypermodder

completemadness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Another cooling feature that Intel introduced was the ability to cool a laptop through the keyboard instead of through air vents on the sides and bottom.
Haven't they been doing this with "Tough Books" for who knows how long ....
completemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2007, 15:24   #12
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
can i put it in my LGA775 and overclock it?