bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Recreation > Gaming

Old 21st Oct 2007, 09:01   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Classic FPS/RPGs

So, after finally getting my new PC working at home I'm after some decent FPS/RPG hybrids or some decent game from either genre to play. I've already ruled out most of the obvious (Deus Ex, Far Cry, BioShock, System Shock, NOLF 1 and 2, Baldurs Gate, Planescape, Fallout etc) due to having played them all to death and I'm not really interested in COD or UT at the moment.

I like games with a fair amount of sniping or spy/stealth action involved and I don't care how old the game is. I just want something to keep me entertained over the weekends and, since I've ruled out most of my games I thought I'd open it up to suggestions.

Well?
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2007, 09:06   #2
Pha3dr0n
Where's my Valium?

Pha3dr0n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Delta Force and Vampire: The Masquerade were my favourites for ages. DF was great for sniping; and VTM I just liked for the story and gameplay. Also spent many hours playing Team Fortress Classic online, always as a sniper coz I wasn't really that great but loved the head-shots
Old 21st Oct 2007, 13:38   #3
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pha3dr0n View Post
Delta Force and Vampire: The Masquerade were my favourites for ages. DF was great for sniping; and VTM I just liked for the story and gameplay. Also spent many hours playing Team Fortress Classic online, always as a sniper coz I wasn't really that great but loved the head-shots
I don't mean to be a smartass, but you'd best specify what VTM game you're talking about - We can assume you mean Bloodlines, since it's the most recent, but there was another VTM RPG released before that, by the name of Redemption.
VTM is a whole Pen & Paper franchise, not just one recent game.

You've probably already played any of the RPGs that I could recommend, Joe, so here's a few other recommendations that I can think of, though they don't all fall into the FPS-RPG, FPS, or RPG genres:

-The Legacy of Kain Series [Blood Omen, Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2, Defiance] - Compelling Story, fun gameplay and exceptionally good voice-acting.
-Clive Barker's Undying (Good game, badly-voiced main character though: Why can they never hire an Irish person to do an Irish accent?)
-X3: Reunion (A Space Exploration/Combat/Trading simulator which has a steep-ish learning curve but is great fun and will suck you in for months on end)
-Omikron: The Nomad Soul (Quirky French Action/Adventure/RPG from the late 90's -- Very strange in parts, but an excellent game overall. And it's got David Bowie in it, too)
-Soldier of Fortune 2 (Aside from the gore, there's a half-decent shooter in here too, with enemy AI that was exceptional at the time and could be considered competent even now)

More when I think of them!
Old 21st Oct 2007, 14:07   #4
MiNiMaL_FuSS
There be Cows.

MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.MiNiMaL_FuSS is definitely a rep cheat.
Off the top of my head, here are some of the games I thought were great in no particular order (i've prob missed loads):

HL1 & 2 & E1/E2 (worth replaying the source version...and play it on hardest this time eh)
SOF2
BioShock
Deus EX
VTM:R
Company of Heroes
KOTOR (1&2)
System Shock 2
Black & White
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Max Payne
Far Cry
Mafia
F.E.A.R.
Starcraft
Warhammer 40,000: DOW
Football Manager 06/07/08
C&C - all of um :P
Startopia - massively underated
Civ 2/4 - 2 was the best in my opinion, but 4 aint bad
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Overlord
Dungon Keeper 2 (we want 3 dammit!)
Theme Hospital (rip Bullfrog)

Should keep you Busy
Old 21st Oct 2007, 14:10   #5
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I second X3, never bothered to delve into the story but the game is great IMO (apart from starforce ) although it's not really FPS or RPG.

EDIT: I know it's an RTS, but everyone should play Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.

Last edited by Veles; 21st Oct 2007 at 14:17.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2007, 14:46   #6
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veles View Post
I second X3, never bothered to delve into the story but the game is great IMO (apart from starforce ) although it's not really FPS or RPG.

One of the more recent patches removes the necessity for Starforce from X3.
I love the guys at Egosoft - They remove the copy-protection from their games with official patches a few months after the game's release, just as a bonus to their fans.
Old 21st Oct 2007, 14:53   #7
Pha3dr0n
Where's my Valium?

Pha3dr0n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurechial View Post
I don't mean to be a smartass, but you'd best specify what VTM game you're talking about - We can assume you mean Bloodlines, since it's the most recent, but there was another VTM RPG released before that, by the name of Redemption.
VTM is a whole Pen & Paper franchise, not just one recent game.
Sorry Dude, I meant Redemption; I could never get into Bloodlines, but might install it again to kill some time.
Old 21st Oct 2007, 15:00   #8
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Lol, unfortunately I've played every game you've listed with the exception of War of The Worlds, Football Manager (hate sport sims), Warhammer and X3. I did play the demo for X3, but I just couldn't get into it for some reason.

Bloodline is awesome and I guess it's something like that which I'm looking for. I'd play it again, but I can't be bothered to download all the fan patches to bring the game up to spec. I did own a copy of redemption a few years ago, but could never get it to work.
Old 21st Oct 2007, 15:09   #9
Poisonous
Incestuious

Poisonous has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If you like(d) FarCry, be sure to check out Chrome.

It's pretty good.
Old 21st Oct 2007, 15:40   #10
Zurechial
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pha3dr0n View Post
Sorry Dude, I meant Redemption; I could never get into Bloodlines, but might install it again to kill some time.
No need for apologies
I preferred Redemption too, personally. Bloodlines was far too bugged and unpolished for my tastes, and lacked Redemption's excellent Storyteller-mode Multiplayer.

I spent years working on an unreleased mod for Redemption. http://www.zwod.net.tf (Sorry about the ads/popups, whatever other junk shows up)

Give X3 another shot, Joe! It's dirt-cheap on Steam now.
When I first tried the X2 demo years ago, I couldn't get into it at all, but then I got a free copy of the full game with a 6600GT, I tried it out again and fell in love with it. It consumed a large portion of that year of my life, which is a hell of an achievement for a single-player game.

And then X3 game along and it all happened again.
Old 21st Oct 2007, 16:50   #11
themax
Ultramodder

themax has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Here ya go Joe.

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/p...nes/patch.html

Patch 3.9 is cumulative of all the other unofficial releases (including the Histories patch). 4.1 and 4.2 are the most recent bug fixes but not cumulative (As far as I know. I haven't downloaded them yet).

I couldn't really get into Redemption. I had the disc but lost it (I have a problem with keeping up with Redemption, that copy was my 2nd one lol). I prefer Bloodlines more for some reason.
themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2007, 18:29   #12
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Anyone know if the fan patches work with the steam version of VTM Bloodlines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2007, 20:05   #13
Neogumbercules
Mod Master

Neogumbercules is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitNeogumbercules is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitNeogumbercules is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitNeogumbercules is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitNeogumbercules is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitNeogumbercules is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitNeogumbercules is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitNeogumbercules is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitNeogumbercules is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitNeogumbercules is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitNeogumbercules is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Hellgate: London. I like it a lot so far. It's really good. The demo is available. I've been playing the MP beta and it's pretty fun. I've only played Marksman and the dual blade class so far, but so far I'm liking the Marksman more. Last I played I was fighting some gigantic boss that killed me once, and when I respawned and finished it off, the game froze! Now I have to do it all over again.
Old 21st Oct 2007, 21:56   #14
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Pfft, I settled for playing Veles at TF2 instead. Pwned him as the sniper . Dilemma avoided until next weekend when I have some more free time.
Old 21st Oct 2007, 22:56   #15
Bungle
Rainbow Warrior

Bungle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Could do a lot worse than Oblivion. With a new rig it will run like a dream.
Old 21st Oct 2007, 23:12   #16
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.
Prince of Persia Sands of Time or Two Thrones. Warrior Within has a horrible bug that messes your savegame up. I quickly gave up on it due to the fact I'd played it a bit then my savegame fudged. SoT is amazing and I assume Two Thrones can't be half bad.
Old 22nd Oct 2007, 00:02   #17
8igdave
Counting down the days to November!

8igdave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNiMaL_FuSS View Post
Dungon Keeper 2 (we want 3 dammit!)
Theme Hospital (rip Bullfrog)

Dungon keeper 2 i waited sooo long for dungon keeper 3 i loved taht game sooo much. But why o why did they ruin it by allowing cheats in multiplayer!

Also theme hospital was so funny i rember the first time i saw the bloaty head disease cracked me up so much
8igdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2007, 00:49   #18
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Project I.G.I - I loved that game and still have it I think. Elite Force II if you like star trek.
Old 22nd Oct 2007, 07:57   #19
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenco_uk View Post
Prince of Persia Sands of Time or Two Thrones. Warrior Within has a horrible bug that messes your savegame up. I quickly gave up on it due to the fact I'd played it a bit then my savegame fudged. SoT is amazing and I assume Two Thrones can't be half bad.
Two Thrones is ...ok. The series wasn't planned as a trilogy I found out recently and the third game wraps things off nicely, but isn't as whimiscal as SOT was. SOT is easily the best, despite the combat.

I have Project IGI, but it's honestly quite awful. No sniper wobble, slow move speed, awful AI and medic packs. They took the worst parts of reality and gaming and mixed them together to make a 'realistic' military shooter. It's one of the few games I've played but never finished, although I didn get 3/4s of the way through.
Old 22nd Oct 2007, 08:07   #20
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If you're looking for a spy-stealth type genre, you can't go wrong with Splinter Cell. Of the first three, I like number three the best, but they're all worth a go.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pc