bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 30th Oct 2007, 11:45   #1
thydzik
Minimodder

thydzik has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Computersphere - moding a JVC Videosphere into a computer - September 2012

I have had this idea for a while now, most of the parts, have just been too lazy. By starting a thread and posting it should get me motivated.

This project involves modding a JVC Videosphere into a working computer . I shall name it the ComputerSphere.

It will consist of two parts:

First part

Restoration of a Videosphere into its brand new condition, this will mostly include cleaning and buffing the plastic. I plan to use a 8.4" colour TV to replace the existing black and white TV. However, all existing knobs and switches will remain and be operational. I have a feeling there is going to be some custom fancy circuitry to convert the analogue dials to digital.

Second part
Once the Videosphere looks and functions brand new, I will insert a VIA EPIA M from a previous modding project. This should be fairly straight forward as there is plenty of room. DVD rom drive in the base, red neons in the base and the top, as there are already ventilation holes.

Picture of the JVC Videosphere

Onto the modding...

First pictures of my videosphere (yes, it is already gutted, I was too eager to take it apart)

Now lets look inside

Very dirty inside. I keep everything except for the tube.

Next I plan to sand any deep scratches and buff the plastic shell.

Last edited by thydzik; 13th Sep 2012 at 02:15. Reason: updated
thydzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2007, 12:04   #2
Hazardous
Mod Master

Hazardous has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks very promising indeed, this

I'll be keeping an eye on your progress, and good luck with everything meantime
Old 30th Oct 2007, 15:40   #3
500mph
The Right man in the Wrong place

500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this looks like it will be veeeery interesting. cant wait for the next update.

500mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2007, 15:52   #4
widmod
Supermodder

widmod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
cool an ITX mod
i will follow this log
widmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2007, 16:00   #5
Mankz
________

Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I love the idea...

subsribed/
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2007, 18:21   #6
lost_modder
Multimodder

lost_modder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the chain handle is unique. you should build an Okama GameSphere (like on South Park) to go with it!
lost_modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2007, 18:32   #7
Breach
Modding in Exile

Breach has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Even as a TV it is the coolest thing ever cant wait to see progress
Old 31st Oct 2007, 19:13   #8
GrendelPrime
What's a Dremel?

GrendelPrime has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_modder View Post
the chain handle is unique. you should build an Okama GameSphere (like on South Park) to go with it!
Actually I get a 'Kenny' vibe at first glance, heh.

Looking forward to seeing this mod progress, I have a soft spot for retro mods anyways, so I can't resist.
GrendelPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2007, 13:37   #9
thydzik
Minimodder

Thanks for all the kind words

I should mention prices, and note it will all be in Australian dollars.

I picked up the Videosphere about 3 years ago of eBay for about $200.

I will also mention, I am going to try and include everything, even the mundane stuff. So with that said.
Here are some pictures of me washing it. Basically I removed everything that could be removed and scrubbed it with a bit of detergent and brush. The condition is actually quite good, few scratches but nothing major.

This is the colour LCD TV I purchased of eBay about a year ago for $150. I spent a while looking for one that could fit the nicest in the existing hole. I hope it does, havn't tried it yet. The actual tube is specified as 9".

I started also picked up a few sheets of various grade wet and dry for $1.30 each.

Old 1st Nov 2007, 14:40   #10
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Wow! A design classic! That is going to look excellent...

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2007, 15:07   #11
12modderz
L33T –Ķ–3!

12modderz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That has to be the coolest looking TV I've seen. Great Mod!
12modderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2007, 10:52   #12
thydzik
Minimodder

Polishing and TV tuners

Progress with the cleaning of the Videosphere is as follows:
Have purchased some buffing/polishing compound that is supposed to be very good for plastics, it is called Polac (but also goes by the name Vonax).
Purchased from abrasiflex for $24.20. It can be purchased cheaper from ferrofin but are in the eastern states. Whilst this is fairly expensive, it was a very large bar.

I already owned a cloth polishing disc 3.5Ē disc which I attached to an electric drill, and then secured to a bench vice.

This has become my makeshift polishing wheel.

After much experimenting and much wasting of time, I have come to method that produces satisfactory polishing results.
  1. sand with wet & dry 320/400 grade paper any deep scratches.
  2. Move to 600 grade wet & dry all over the plastic
  3. Move to 1200 grade wet & dry all over
  4. Finally finish by buffing with Polac all over. Abasifles recommended dry buffing.

Pictures of one half using this procedure below, I will buff it more later.

I have started looking at how the tuning was achieved on the Videosphere, I have realised it is impossible for me to use the existing tuners. Below are pictures of the VHF and UHF tuners. It was quite intriguing looking at technology that was over 30 years old.

Old 12th Nov 2007, 11:08   #13
airchie
Mod Master

airchie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I did something similar with an old TV for my GF.
I couldn't really use any of the original tech.
Just the shell and the original power button (with the internal workings removed).

Still, finished product was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralwandrer
Being a legitimate customer of the games industry is increasingly like being in a relationship with an abusive spouse.
airchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2007, 17:55   #14
Rocket733
Austerity - It's the only way

Rocket733 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Perfect for a retro mod! Can't wait to see it finished.
Rocket733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2007, 17:58   #15
Ryu_ookami
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ryu_ookami is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
/Ryu goes looking for a videosphere on Ebay
Ryu_ookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2007, 09:51   #16
airchie
Mod Master

airchie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Anyone seen American Gangster in the cinema?
If so, when Bumpy dies in the electronics store, there's one of these over his shoulder behind him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralwandrer
Being a legitimate customer of the games industry is increasingly like being in a relationship with an abusive spouse.
airchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 00:37   #17
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
wee.. pure retro. whats the resolution of that screen? will it bee enough..looks like the regular 640x480 to me.
Good luck

/GNU

Project: ProtoHype (paused)
Project: GET A LIFE (Complete)
Project: Widescreen Projector(Complete)
Guide: How to brush Aluminum
The_Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2007, 08:38   #18
thydzik
Minimodder

Here is the last update for the year, going on holidays and won't be back till mid January.

I have started to try to mount the LCD TV into the Videosphere. Firstly removed the LCD from the plastic housing

This is a photo of the back of the LCD

First fit test. You would not believe how close this panel is to not fitting. When choosing the TV I only was concerned about the LCD size fitting the hole, I did not think about the housing. Being a cheap quality LCD the housing protrudes a fair bit. You can observe that the housing isn't quite flush and this is for two reasons, the LCD is slightly too big, and the hole is actually curved due to the curved screen of the original CRT.

The way I solved the LCD size problem was grinding the corners down. This was fairly dangerous as it was easy to damage the LCD, I still havenít tested the LCD to see if it still works. Before grinding I disassembled the metal housing, this was so that I could see where the glass was as you do not want to be grinding that.

Here is a photo of the ground corners of the metal housing; I will explain what the cardboard is for next.

This now solved the LCD not fitting problem. The next problem was the gaps caused by the curved hole. This was solved by using car body filler. First I made a cardboard template with the exact same size hole as the Videosphere.
You can observe the LCD metal housing on top of the cardboard below.

It was secured to the Videosphere with some tape.

Car body filler was applied liberally over the cardboard.

And the sanding process began.

I decided to buy myself an early Christmas present to speed things up. $125 from Bunnings, includes the Flex Shaft and 55 accessories.

This was the finished results after another layer of car body filler. It took me a while to get used to the Dremel as I was taking too much out of some areas and leaving indents.

I am quite happy with the results so far. This will be painted black making any imperfections harder to see. Below is a photo of the LCD metal housing over the hole. The hole is slightly uneven and small and that will be fixed up next year.
Old 20th Dec 2007, 13:32   #19
lworbey
Multimodder

lworbey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Excellent work, I'm still getting used to my Dremel type tool, I take too much off before I know it!

Laptop: Asus 1000H EeePC, Atom 1.6GHz, 1GB DDR2 RAM

HTPC: TBC
lworbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2007, 19:14   #20
KayinBlack
I Endure

KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.
Dremels take a light touch. Practice and patience does it...

Quit chopping up the locals to make tools.-Cheapskate
KayinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case mod

View Mode