bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th Nov 2007, 14:24   #1
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Cooler Master debuts ESA Cosmos

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11...s_esa_cosmos/1

The Enthusiast System Architecture is now upon us with the release of the Cosmos ESA from Cooler Master.

Old 13th Nov 2007, 18:09   #2
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I forget if the fans are power by USB as well as controlled by it. If so, that would be quite cool (sorry). It definitely beat running 3 fans of one motherboard header

Nowhere seems to sell it though, do you know how much more it is that the usual one? $229 is cheaper than 140 in the original article, but that is in the US
Old 13th Nov 2007, 22:24   #3
Risky
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.
Still the weakness of this is that is will relay on the OS, so in the event of a crash you lose all control. Now a software controllable system outside the primary system is what you really need e.g. something grown out of the t-balancer concept.
Old 13th Nov 2007, 23:09   #4
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
the ideal would be a second, behind the scenes OS, like some flavor of linux, running on the background out of your way...... and i very much doubt the fans would be powered by USB.....
Old 13th Nov 2007, 23:46   #5
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE View Post
and i very much doubt the fans would be powered by USB.....
no reasons I can think of why not. If you can power a hard drive/light/fan/drinks cooler from one, why not a couple of case fans?
I don't really know though (hence the question)
Old 13th Nov 2007, 23:51   #6
completemadness
Hypermodder

completemadness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A 80mm case fan is usually about 0.1A (in my experience) - maybe more depending on size/speed, However, that's at 12v

Don't forget, USB is 100mA max (non negotiated) or 500mA (negotiated) but that's at 5v
completemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2007, 00:31   #7
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by completemadness View Post
A 80mm case fan is usually about 0.1A (in my experience) - maybe more depending on size/speed, However, that's at 12v

Don't forget, USB is 100mA max (non negotiated) or 500mA (negotiated) but that's at 5v
exactly what i was thinking...

maybe it is powered by the psu, but has a usb connection for speed control and noise control.
Old 14th Nov 2007, 02:18   #8
completemadness
Hypermodder

completemadness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE View Post
maybe it is powered by the psu, but has a usb connection for speed control and noise control.
I would be very surprised if it wasn't done that way
completemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2007, 04:31   #9
Anakha
Supermodder

Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think a board like that would operate so when there isn't a negotiated connection with some controlling software, the fans run at 100% (Or use an onboard thermistor, or have some other setting stored in a tiny CMOS chip so you can control how the system starts/runs). That would be the sensible way to do things.
Old 14th Nov 2007, 05:12   #10
Woodstock
So Say We All

Woodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming Saiyan
i think that bit needs to get one as a follow up to the esa article
Old 14th Nov 2007, 09:42   #11
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wait Im confused dont most motherboard already have the ability to control fans? or at least CPU/SYS/Chassis fans for one and then you can get USB Fan controllers already that can do the same thing so whats the point? If someone could explain a little more that would be great.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2007, 09:51   #12
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
oh there was rumor that CM was going to release an all aluminum version of the cosmos around Dec/Jan, could that also be whats different with the ESA Cosmos? as that was the case I was holding out for. ^_^
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote