bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Nov 2007, 11:14   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Cooler Master Hyper TX2 & 212

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200..._tx2_and_212/1

Cooler Master cracks out a couple of new heatsinks to wade in an sweep existing kings off their feet: First, there's a Freezer Pro 7 contender, the Hyper TX2, and a new alternative to the Noctua NF-U12, the Hyper 212. How do they stack up? We find out.

Old 19th Nov 2007, 12:22   #2
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Is the mobo really as bent as it shows in this image: http://www.bit-tech.net/content_imag.../txmount-7.jpg ? Wouldn't like to see my lovely piece of hardware in such painful looking stance :/
Old 19th Nov 2007, 12:48   #3
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I was just about to post the exactly same comment Jipa. This cant be good!
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2007, 12:48   #4
kosch
Trango in the Mango

kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.
Hmm the 212 looks like they have taken a Tuniq Tower and cut the fins in half and then switched them around.
kosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2007, 12:53   #5
oddball walking
...!

oddball walking has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa View Post
Is the mobo really as bent as it shows in this image: http://www.bit-tech.net/content_imag.../txmount-7.jpg ? Wouldn't like to see my lovely piece of hardware in such painful looking stance :/
That can't be healthy, but on the plus side it looks kind of like Darth Vader.
Old 19th Nov 2007, 12:56   #6
Clocked
Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

Clocked has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've noticed the bending before on the boards that get used for heatsink testing - I'd put it down to different tensions on different mountings but if the same board is getting bent like that it's only gonna be a matter of time before it breaks (pics please!)

XBL ID: Cl0cked; Game I iz playin are Halo:Reach
Clocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2007, 13:41   #7
mrb_no1
Pie Eater

mrb_no1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@Jipa, i agree! I like the fact that they are smaller than the scythe range of coolers, i just purchased and installed a scythe ninja and its massive, it has cranked my temps down from when i used the intel stock cooler but i had trouble getting the fan in with my ram, nice to see decent temps can be had with a smaller cooler...and the 10 one, no wonder it was given best value! nice review
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3600Mhz Asus Maximus II Formula ATI Radeon 4890 (1000Mhz Core + 1200Mhz Mem OC) 2x2G Corsair Dom. PC 8500 @ 1080Mhz Aquacomputer WC Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty 150G Raptor, 2x1500 + 1x750 + 2x500 Seagate (SATA2) Pioneer DVD burner Lian Li - PC 73SL Aluminium Silent Server Case Dell 2007WFP 20" Widescreen Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers Sennheiser HD270
mrb_no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2007, 13:44   #8
Jipa

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
But then again.. If you compare the kink on that mobo to the one I saw at Campus Party that's not so big of a deal... However I'd like to point out that whoever made that to the poor mobo on purpose should be punished...
Old 19th Nov 2007, 14:27   #9
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Look how big the graph is and how many heatsink installs I've subjected the same board to! I'll make sure I'll straighten it out in future but I think it's just been flexed too much
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2007, 14:39   #10
Jipa

Bindi: do you reckon it's the pins of the stock 775-cooler that do that or does the same problem appear also with bolt-through mounting? Sure most users change the cooler once or twice, so that's not a big of a deal, but I'm just interested in why mobos do that..
Old 19th Nov 2007, 14:58   #11
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
pins mostly - because you have to press from the top without underneath support. With bolts you're meant to tighten opposite ones evenly and stop before it bends.

You can still bend it back easily enough, and if it's screwed in your case firmly it shouldn't bend as much.
Old 19th Nov 2007, 15:54   #12
OleJ
Me!

OleJ has yet to learn the way of the DremelOleJ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You have gotten centimeter and milimeter mixed up on page on 1:
"The build quality is very good and the 90cm sleeve bearing cooling fan is rated at just 22dB. It's designed to draw air in from the sides as well as the front before forcing it inwards - as a result, Cooler Master claims that this gives the effective cooling of a 100cm fan instead."

Should be "mm" not "cm" otherwise that would be some big ass fans
Old 19th Nov 2007, 17:10   #13
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

They are big
Old 19th Nov 2007, 17:51   #14
drakanious
Minimodder

drakanious has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah, but not 90 CENTImeters--that's huge.
drakanious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2007, 18:37   #15
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
90cm that would NOT fit into my case.

Thanks for the reviews.

Quote:
But then again.. If you compare the kink on that mobo to the one I saw at Campus Party that's not so big of a deal... However I'd like to point out that whoever made that to the poor mobo on purpose should be punished...
What was he on when he did that?
Old 19th Nov 2007, 18:50   #16
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakanious View Post
Yeah, but not 90 CENTImeters--that's huge.
Next weeks review: 90m fan.

Week after: fan guard.. possibly.
Old 19th Nov 2007, 22:49   #17
SinxarKnights
Multimodder

SinxarKnights has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would like to see the temps for the stock Intel and AMD coolers. They are not included in this review or the last one.
SinxarKnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2007, 01:52   #18
christopher3393
What's a Dremel?

christopher3393 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is the first disappointing review I've read on this site in quite a while. The reviewer needs to take a clear stance on the results and make a clear and intelligent comparison with the selected Noctua Cooler. Muddled as is.
christopher3393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2007, 05:16   #19
Woodstock
So Say We All

Woodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
wholly crap, who would purposefully bend a motherboard
Old 20th Nov 2007, 08:50   #20
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher3393 View Post
This is the first disappointing review I've read on this site in quite a while. The reviewer needs to take a clear stance on the results and make a clear and intelligent comparison with the selected Noctua Cooler. Muddled as is.
OK.

There isn't a direct comparison - despite the very similar design, the Noctua is designed for silence and comes with an 800rpm fan, the Cooler Master comes with a 2000rpm fan and has a far greater performance, as well as noise as a result. You can swap out the fans for alternatives, with each other if need be, and they'd probably perform about the same because of it. You don't buy a Noctua expecting ultimate performance, like you don't buy a 212 expecting silence, but both can do either, just not out the box. It doesn't even come with inbuilt fan regulation like you get with the Thermaltakes.

There are too many options to say, "get this, don't get that" because you can do more than just take it out the box and throw it on a CPU.

I personally would not buy the 212 because of the noise, I wouldn't get the Noctua either because it's particularly low slung making it incompatible with a fair few motherboards. I'd still get either Thermaltake or stick with my Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro.