1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Casual gamers love Halo 3 more than you

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Nov 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

probably cos its so over-rated :p

/me dons the flameproof suit

3. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

QFT!
    tbh. :thumb:

4. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

I concur.

5. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

Wait.... do you mean they love the game more than they love me, or that they love the game more than I love the game?

6. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Wow, more than the Guitar Hero as a franchise? Or more than Guitar Hero III specifically? Cause Halo 3 has been out for a bit longer and is quite a bit cheaper than Guitar Hero III. I thought 'casual gamers' referred only to people who enjoy playing Wii 'games' and occasionally mixing it up and going for one of those oh-so-tough platformer adventure titles I hear so much about? I don't know if this is really all that surprising though because Halo 3 sold quite a few copies and there's more ways to play it than MLG players will have you believe.

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

its official, casual gamers are idiots :)

8. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Screw you guys, I enjoyed Halo 3!

9. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Pssh, I enjoy it way too much, at the expense of my grades.

10. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I <3 Halo 3. It's a great game.

Like it or hate it, you can't denounce it's huge success. Microsoft and Bungie just know how to market a game.

And it's much more popular than any other game on this campus. I know a couple of people that just bought a 360 to play it. There's at least a few people on it almost every night. Which is saying a lot considering this is a small campus.

If you can get 4 hockey players to spend hours playing a game on just a 19" screen, you know that there must be some appeal there!

I would allow them to play in my room on my TV since it's a bit bigger. But I don't want them to **** up my Halo 3 stats since they aren't very good. :p

11. kempez

kempez modding again!

Meh the casual market can have Halo 3 tbh

12. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i like halo3! it's a good singleplayer game, and a GREAT multiplayer game. seamless online system - it's genius.

13. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Admittedly I've only briefly played it, but Halo3 is as 'plastic' as they come, and is designed to be played by kids and casual gamers. It's relatively low-tech (not that they market it that way) and easy to pick-up/put down. It's designed to be bought by parents as presents.

I guess some hardcore gamers will give it a go just to cross it off the list, but TBH, when you think about all the decent games that came out this year/are due to come out this year, Halo pales into insignificance.

It's also more broadly marketed than most games; not necessarily more heavily marketed, but the ads are aimed at the mainstream rather than higher-end gamers.

14. Fod

my apologies but it sounds like you're disagreeing for the sake of sounding like one of the cool kids who wants to be in the minority all the time.

15. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

My apologies, but it sounds like you're in denial. :)

If you like it, that's great, you're entitled to your opinion. As far as I'm concerned, Halo is junk.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2007
  16. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

For a start, this game is rated too highly so kids AREN'T supposed to be playing it. The fact that they do annoys me but is really down to the parents.

"low-tech", this game has an amazingly good multiplayer that's can be as tactical as Counter Strike when you play it properly. Whilst it's easy to pick up and play a couple of casual online games it's also very popular with a lot of the more hardcore 360 gamers. Unlike most MP games on the 360, Halo has a very well written match finding system that makes games like CoD4 feel dated.

17. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

qft

18. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Blimey! I'm not sure how you drew that conclusion.

I'm not so bothered about being in a minority, but being a 'cool kid' would be great. At 37, it would be fantastic to be considered one.

Now if you pictured me as an intransigent old-timer, I think you would have a point.

A game's rating rarely indicates the demographic groups who buy (or end up owning) a game.

I'll take your word on the MP match finding system - plenty of MP PC games suffer in this regard IMHO. But as the reviews initially indicated, the gfx are very 2006 (not surprising given the standard hardware it was programmed for), and as for being tactical... in my [limited] experience it was more a game for button-mashers.

It's all very subjective of course; it's clearly not my type of game so I'll only see the negative, and I'll defend anyone's right to like the game. But it certainly doesn't surprise me that it's a hit with casual gamers.

[I've just had a little moment of insight: I think one reason I don't like the game is because it published by MS - as a developer on MS platforms, I have to use their products all day; I figure I can't really be doing with playing with their products in my time off]

19. Fod

not at all! i don't care how a game looks, only how it plays. the single player campaign is nothing new i'll grant you that but its very well executed. what draws me in the most is the multiplayer - the matchmaking is slick as hell, as is the transparency of it all. the controls are streamlined and accessible (of course no way near as accurate as a PC shooter but meh) and the maps and weapons are balanced to the point of insanity. as much as i have played so far, it's goldeneye v.2

20. kempez

kempez modding again!

I have nothing against MS tbh, just don't really like the game. SP was naff and uninteresting and the actual MP game itself isn't something I'm keen on. I agree on the matchmaking system although as I'm average at best, I still seem to play people a lot better than me, unless I practice every day in which case I can occasionally come 3rd :p

Tags: Add Tags