bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Nov 2007, 17:34   #1
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Embedded Linux Goes Open Source

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11..._open_source/1

DeviceVM, the company that makes the embedded Linux on the Asus P5E3 Deluxe WiFi-AP @n board has just released the source code to its software. We grilled them to find out what they expect this will bring.

Digg if you love me >_<

Last edited by Bindibadgi; 21st Nov 2007 at 17:44.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2007, 18:12   #2
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In principle its a great idea, but I don't know what its use would be aside from "I'm just going out but i need to check on...". IMO, people will want a proper media player, with the option of recording if the computer is connected to TV broadcasts, which would also mean that if you did decide you wanted to do some proper stuff on the computer you wouldn't have to reboot.

If you look at the sleep feature which is the default option on Vista which allows booting from and off state (though not actually off) in about 10s, then I can't really see this going anywhere fast.

On the other hand, anything then gets Linux more into everyday life and away from "Enthusiasts" etc is good, though at this stage that looks unlikely (price).
Old 21st Nov 2007, 18:42   #3
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Would be nice for use ina a vehicle, I always thought it'd be neat to have a PC in the car but aside from power issues boot time worrying about harddrives + vibrations always made me wonder.
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2007, 19:31   #4
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
the more open source the better.
Old 21st Nov 2007, 21:12   #5
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
Sounds like and interesting idea and I hope it works out - but if past history is any guide...

LinuxBIOS anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupboard View Post
In principle its a great idea, but I don't know what its use would be aside from "I'm just going out but i need to check on...". IMO, people will want a proper media player, with the option of recording if the computer is connected to TV broadcasts, which would also mean that if you did decide you wanted to do some proper stuff on the computer you wouldn't have to reboot.

If you look at the sleep feature which is the default option on Vista which allows booting from and off state (though not actually off) in about 10s, then I can't really see this going anywhere fast.

On the other hand, anything then gets Linux more into everyday life and away from "Enthusiasts" etc is good, though at this stage that looks unlikely (price).
Quoted for Truth (though I'm sure my Vista machine comes out of sleep in quite a bit less than 10 seconds)
Old 21st Nov 2007, 21:13   #6
DLoney
Multimodder

DLoney has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
too bad microsoft cant build a WMC app for this. Being able to boot straight into the Windows Media Center without having to load windows first would be great.
DLoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2007, 21:44   #7
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think what would be wonderful (though I have no idea how it could be done) is to have a simple (possibly Linux based) OS that started up instantly, whilst in the background your main OS started up. Then you could just switch over. The problem would be if you had started a conversation in Skype, it would be hard to migrate it over.
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 09:07   #8
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Virtualisation cheesecake!
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 09:41   #9
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The custom distro Asus have done for their mini laptop, is that available any where? I think that would be more interesting than this tbh.
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 10:16   #10
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg View Post
The custom distro Asus have done for their mini laptop, is that available any where? I think that would be more interesting than this tbh.
This one for those that havnt seen it

to me it looks like a clever more full version of PPC made in Linux which is a fantstic thing and i might very well buy the next version of the product
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 10:20   #11
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb View Post
This one for those that havnt seen it

to me it looks like a clever more full version of PPC made in Linux which is a fantstic thing and i might very well buy the next version of the product
PPC? Sorry googling that mostly brings up powerPC ports.
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 15:01   #12
Anakha
Supermodder

Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLoney
too bad microsoft cant build a WMC app for this. Being able to boot straight into the Windows Media Center without having to load windows first would be great.
Well, MythTV runs under Linux. If you could get the frontend running within this system, you'd have an instant-on Media PC (Well, you'd have to have a backend elsewhere on the network, but that's not too much hassle).
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 19:43   #13
completemadness
Hypermodder

completemadness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakha View Post
Well, MythTV runs under Linux. If you could get the frontend running within this system, you'd have an instant-on Media PC (Well, you'd have to have a backend elsewhere on the network, but that's not too much hassle).
Sounds like a pretty cool idea to me ... aslong as the Flash drive is big enough

then again, Debian, Mythtv, X and some kind of display manger is gonna be pretty small
completemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 01:55   #14
Sparrowhawk
Wetsander

Sparrowhawk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can see this being very big in the enthusiast market. Imagine upon a drive failure, having recovery tools right in the embedded Linux?
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote