bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Nov 2007, 09:27   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
MSI HydroGen - Watercooling, MSI Style

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11...ng_msi_style/1

bit-tech has obtained some exclusive photos of MSI's new "HydroGen" waterblock that is due to arrive in a limited edition with its next generation Intel X48 motherboard.

Digg if you love <3

Last edited by Bindibadgi; 26th Nov 2007 at 10:07.
Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 09:33   #2
Woodstock
So Say We All

Woodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming Saiyan
i like how motherboard companys are integrating water cooling products, but im not so sure about the whole heatpipe array...
Old 26th Nov 2007, 09:58   #3
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
i like how motherboard companys are integrating water cooling products, but im not so sure about the whole heatpipe array...
It's not a heatpipe - it's a single tube that fills with water which makes it travel from top to bottom (or bottom to top)
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 10:00   #4
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Looks nice, but I'd be worried about the inner diameter of the copper tubes... Might be good on a sepereate 6/8mm loop, but not on a larger diameter tubing loop ...
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 10:01   #5
Woodstock
So Say We All

Woodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming SaiyanWoodstock is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
It's not a heatpipe - it's a single tube that fills with water which makes it travel from top to bottom (or bottom to top)
fine then the part of the loop that is attached to the south bridge and mosfits and of cause the actual copper tubing, you still knew what i meant lol
Old 26th Nov 2007, 10:08   #6
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz. View Post
Looks nice, but I'd be worried about the inner diameter of the copper tubes... Might be good on a sepereate 6/8mm loop, but not on a larger diameter tubing loop ...
Oh yea, totally, but at least this is the first complete solution - it's a step in the right direction if I was wanting to watercool everything. The problem with the Asus ones is that you still need some airflow for the heatpipes, which kind of defeats the object to an extent.
Old 26th Nov 2007, 10:47   #7
(RFFN)-SqUeD
I eat dremels for breakfast

(RFFN)-SqUeD has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks good, The board has got a great layout ..... me like a lot!!!! can't wait for the first reviews
(RFFN)-SqUeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 11:40   #8
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by (RFFN)-SqUeD View Post
Looks good, The board has got a great layout ..... me like a lot!!!! can't wait for the first reviews
Unfortunately it doesn't have a great layout - the yellow slots are x4 only which make them almost pointless. Better to have had an extra PCI slot and an x8.
Old 26th Nov 2007, 12:19   #9
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
I wonder what the switch is in the bottom right corner.
Old 26th Nov 2007, 12:33   #10
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is it me or does the exit on the southbridge look a little close to the seconds pci-e slot? With a large 1/2" barb plus tubing and a hose clip it could foul on longer graphics cards.

Really like the concept though, much better than the Asus which was reviewed last week in my opinion.
Old 26th Nov 2007, 13:21   #11
nemesis80
Modder

nemesis80 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
From the pictures below, the awesome laser cut design might say enough watercoolers to spend the money
Laser cut? Sorry to disappoint but those are cnc milled for sure, as the shape of the piece wouldnt correspond to a leser cutted piece...
Old 26th Nov 2007, 13:32   #12
airchie
Mod Master

airchie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love the idea of this.
I had a water-cooled PC before my laptop and having to find blocks that fit your NB, SB and MOSFETs is a major PITA.
Buying a board with them custom-made and pre-fitted is a really nice idea IMO.

I'd buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralwandrer
Being a legitimate customer of the games industry is increasingly like being in a relationship with an abusive spouse.
airchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 14:05   #13
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis80 View Post
Laser cut? Sorry to disappoint but those are cnc milled for sure, as the shape of the piece wouldnt correspond to a leser cutted piece...
Yes, you're right
Old 26th Nov 2007, 14:42   #14
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
no sli ;( Where are the nforce7xx boards???
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 15:15   #15
TomD22
Modder

TomD22 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Layout looks a bit dodgy though...only 1 pci slot and if you use a dual slot pci-e in the lower of the blue one, no pci slot at all. So there goes the space to plug in my sound card, tv card, or whatever. (not that I would afford this mb anyway ^^)
TomD22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 15:43   #16
OleJ
Me!

OleJ has yet to learn the way of the DremelOleJ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S
I wonder what the switch is in the bottom right corner.
Do you mean the display? As far as I can tell it's a four digit display. I think I remember these being used for status codes from the mobo. I think we first saw them on the Fatal1ty boards?
And it actually is the lower left corner if you turn the mobo standard wise
Old 26th Nov 2007, 15:56   #17
salesman
Multimodder

salesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsalesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
it clearly says X38 on the board yet its supposed to be a X48 can someone clear the air on this one for me? I'm confused. Maybe its just showing off what the waterblock would look like on a motherboard and this isn't the actual board or even the chipset MSI is going to use. What do you guys think.
E8400 3.0GHz | ASRock P45X3 Deluxe | EVGA 570 GTX | 8 GB GSkill memory | Crucial M4 64GB Boot Drive | 3x Samsung F3 1TB Raid 0 | 2x Samsung F4EG 1.5TB Raid 0 | Corsair AX750 PSU | Noctua NH-U12P | Antec P180 | M-Audio Audiophile 192 | Marantz PM5004 | Cambridge Soundworks Speakers | Duckey Shine | Dell U2410 |
salesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 16:25   #18
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
it clearly says X38 on the board yet its supposed to be a X48 can someone clear the air on this one for me? I'm confused. Maybe its just showing off what the waterblock would look like on a motherboard and this isn't the actual board or even the chipset MSI is going to use. What do you guys think.
Yea it's X48 - the press release was for X38 but MSI have saved it for the X48 release instead in order to finalise the details of the HydroGen block. The layout stays the same but they haven't changed the ink yet that's all
Old 26th Nov 2007, 16:25   #19
Bluephoenix
Spoon? What spoon?

Bluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for presidentBluephoenix should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
no sli ;( Where are the nforce7xx boards???
+1
Bluephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2007, 17:58   #20
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm not sure about this setup by MSI. I like the idea of integrated W/C blocks, but running a second loop for the motherboard as well as the main loop for cpu+gpu because of the insanely tight copper tubing (Which has to be small for obvious reasons).. I think it might have fared better with heatpipes between the blocks and either each of the end pieces having an entrance/exit or one in the middle, as with the Asus Maximus series.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote